Hornby 2017 Range (announcement date)

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

My point was it was unfair to single out the Q6, when the third releases of the Kings could easily be shunted back based on current stock levels.

Switching production slots would only be possible if both models are made by the same factory, which may or may not be the case as I don't possess either.

John  

• RMweb Gold

Switching production slots would only be possible if both models are made by the same factory, which may or may not be the case as I don't possess either.

John

Kings are SEN and Q6s are LOT01. So yes they are made in different factories and I have a sneaking suspicion the the surprise hit - the Peckett is also LOT01.

Thank you very much for posting the photos. It's very much appreciated.

The VT and GWR Hitachi Class 800s look fantastic.

If by VT you mean Virgin Trains, then that's not what they're showing, as they aren't producing a VT Class 800. 

Well not yet, anyway.

The two car "Limited Edition"pack, represents two non-powered, driving trailer vehicles, in Agility/Hitachi pre-delivery and promotional liveries.

• RMweb Gold

Yes there are certain models that cannot be produced due to risk of death by froth for sensitive souls on this forum. The moulds are safely stored at a secret location.

Yes the last time it happened, the RMWeb servers went down for several days...

post-7000-0-12220200-1483732357.jpg

:jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I have a question about the MN loco they are doing, is the pony wheel under the cab fixed and will they give you a flanged wheel to replace the one thats on the Photo?.

Darren

Until there's a bit more clarification as to whether they using the older tooling or using bits of the new Air-smoothed MN chassis - I wouldn't like to hazard a guess

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos. It looks like the BR maroon on the Collett coaches is right not the crimson that they look on the Hornby website. But the BR green on the streamlined MN looks a bit muddy like other recent releases. Did you perchance get clarification about whether the Class 50 D400 was as new/1967 or as withdrawn condition?

There is no information in the catalogue I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

Certainly an interesting range, and definitely a much better pre-order takeup compared to last year :)

For me personally, the Colas 60 is tempting, and I think the GWR HST will he a nice model, although the price has been spiked...also nice to see the Q1 back!

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

...also nice to see the Q1 back!

I might be able to finish the class

...And there's no chance of a wonky running plate, horizontal hand rails or them being the wrong shade of BR Green

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the photos. It looks like the BR maroon on the Collett coaches is right not the crimson that they look on the Hornby website. But the BR green on the streamlined MN looks a bit muddy like other recent releases. Did you perchance get clarification about whether the Class 50 D400 was as new/1967 or as withdrawn condition?

The picture to me looks as built condition.

The body has the sand boxes which were removed during refurbishment.

Added to that, 50050/D400 was withdrawn with Orange Cantrail stripe, but otherwise 1967 livery, no sign of any Orange on this model.

• RMweb Premium

If by VT you mean Virgin Trains, then that's not what they're showing, as they aren't producing a VT Class 800. 

Well not yet, anyway.

The two car "Limited Edition"pack, represents two non-powered, driving trailer vehicles, in Agility/Hitachi pre-delivery and promotional liveries.

Thank you very much for letting me know. It's very much appreciated.

Yes, that's the livery I mean. The promotional livery and the GWR livery both look fantastic. Very tempting.

• RMweb Premium

The picture to me looks as built condition.

The body has the sand boxes which were removed during refurbishment.

Added to that, 50050/D400 was withdrawn with Orange Cantrail stripe, but otherwise 1967 livery, no sign of any Orange on this model.

The picture shows a scavenger fan and a grill replacing the side window, which were both refurb mods.

Can't see Hornby producing any loco with this combination of details, the only loco to really come close to this condition is 50044 in it's most recent mainline outings.

It is only a mock-up pic, so we'll have to wait and see what is actually produced !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Gold

Overall I like the 2017 range.
I've just pre-ordered my desires, Derails took a chunk of business away from the Hornby website (dropped a deposit on 6 locos last night) :-) but I still have coaches, peckett, MNs & SECR on order direct from the source.

I like some of the back catalog returning, I ordered the BR Scot (one of my current scots gave me the hint by failing yesterday), and kind of like the 4MT & 8f coming back but think I'll wait till I see them in the flesh. Seeing the price of 5's rising I ordered 45274 from Rails before the prices leap, it, with a late crest rivet tender from 44694 will become 45212, but decided to cancel my 2016 preorder for the 3500gl Grange and 4p... they've taken too long to appear and Bachmann got my money instead (42062 which I renumbered to 42055 last month).

I think 35018 will be a silent seller given its larger prototypes return. I was surprised that 1947 rather than 1967 was the focus, especially as Hornby holds all the cards with Bullied pacifics, however with 3 Rebuilts, 1 unrebuilt WC/Bob and 3 MN and 1 rebuilt still to come it's covered, though personally i'd prefer a new lid on a bullied tender so 34046 could be modelled, rather than a brake van.

Nothing for me in wagons this time, but more Stanier coaches and some maroon Collette are useful but without lights I can't see in the dark so I ordered only the mk1 BSO and FO in maroon, I'm not going to trade in my unlit Bachmann blue greys for unlit Hornby ones... just have to wait and see if Bachmann does the right thing with the Portholes this year... some maroon ones (without lights but with pickups) would be very nice, I could even find a space for a Stanier porthole brake in Blue grey too.

Just have to wait now for my money to be taken and the goods to arrive :-), oh and inevitably increase the house insurance ;-)

Finally, did I really see a £599 railroad trainset in the range ??

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

I hope that the Britannia, 70007 Coeur de Lion, will have a 32A (Norwich) shed code; under Bill Harvey this is the period when the Brits performed at their best.

If it doesn't, just fit an etched one. Quick and simple fix.

• RMweb Gold

Yes there are certain models that cannot be produced due to risk of death by froth for sensitive souls on this forum. The moulds are safely stored at a secret location.

Not half as bad as producing a popular model and then being given dictats on morality over spares and decoders.

Beware the Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Models being released Inappropriately. Moulds will be publicly smashed in a live webcast to prevent a recurrence of this degenerate behaviour and the offenders made to install DCC sound in N gauge Wickham trollies (no trailers allowed) to demonstrate their devotion.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Finally, did I really see a £599 railroad trainset in the range ??

I believe what you saw was a digital train set where both locomotives are fitted with sound. If you add up the rrp for each item in the set you'll find it is actually good value.

• RMweb Premium

I believe what you saw was a digital train set where both locomotives are fitted with sound. If you add up the rrp for each item in the set you'll find it is actually good value.

If you think the RRP is good value to start with! :jester:

Keith

I hope that the Britannia, 70007 Coeur de Lion, will have a 32A (Norwich) shed code; under Bill Harvey this is the period when the Brits performed at their best.

......................and without the ohl warning stickers, which are a "pain" to remove

• RMweb Gold

A few years back I was consulted by Heathrow airport on the re-branding of their frequent purchase card.

it was called World points.

The first contribution I added was that for "world points" it wasnt very worldly.. It was used at a few BAA owned airports and no where else.

Their proposed branding was also on display, showing images of people from various parts of the world shopping at Heathrow.

They also had a second proposal showing expensive designer goods and linking it to the frequent flyer card.

My second contribution was that if someone was going to spend £10k on a watch, it is unlikely they are going to care much about the points on the card, but more about the after service from a remote part of the world. But if someone collects points.. they will want to collect as many as they can but less likely to buy a £10k watch.

The result was obviously listened to.. the card became Heathrow Rewards and the advertising didn't focus on branded designer goods (though it is implied) but does focus on usability across the airport (any shop takes it including non-BAA outlets, Smiths, Dixons,Boots etc) so appeals to a wider market at less than the AB income bracket.

why is this relevant...

in my opinion, If your going to make a £600 beginners trainset, the purchaser can already afford something significantly better... The same target market for this will be able to afford an £800 or a £1000 set, and if they look at the railroad finish of one, they more than likely will either purchase mainstream models that look better, or something else (non-railway) altogether.  Attracting high end buyers is about quality rather than a an expensive but discounted bundle.

There is a reason why their isnt a railroad Ferrari range or why high earners dont typically aspire to buy multiple ford fiestas in a ford bundle deal.

Of course if the price is a steal, chances are this might be one for dealers to break down and sell separately.

Edited by adb968008

This year Hornby won't get profit because all members want Hornby class 08 Railfreight livery mean good buy made more profit because Hornby did get profit from Hornby retooled of class 08673 intercity livery

Because old model of class 08938 Railfreight and 08673 intercity in 1989 with error chassis

I has ordered that resparyed Hornby class 08 Railfreight liverypost-1297-0-07138700-1483800917_thumb.jpg

• Like 3