The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

Clearly the only design to eliminate all risk would be a jet-fighter style canopy but this would take any attraction out of the sport.

Sadly this would introduce another set of problems. Canopies jam more regularly than you think on fast jets and I have seen people resort to power tools to cut through the material they are made of. Then you have to control the climate in the cockpit, air con = weight. Then you have to keep the screen clear of muck as well as moisture. These may be affordable for F1 but if it sets a precedent then will we see all single seat race cars having these things stuck on them ? What about historic cars, will they allow them to compete without retrofitting something similar ? I would rather see greater effort being expended on crash helmet design.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Clearly the only design to eliminate all risk would be a jet-fighter style canopy but this would take any attraction out of the sport.

Not really, for a couple of reasons. When Vettel tested the new Shield on the Ferrari, he only managed one lap with it before declaring it no good. I've also seen a recent video explaining how any curved screen like that will give visual distortion. Even LMP1 cars suffer, but not so severely as their is less radius on them. They also said looking for a Mig 4 miles away is completely different to trying to see who is around you on the first corner.

The second reason goes back to my previous quote from the FIA report:

11.       It is not feasible to mitigate the injuries Bianchi suffered by either enclosing the driver’s cockpit, or fitting skirts to the crane. Neither approach is practical due to the very large forces involved in the accident between a 700kg car striking a 6500kg crane at a speed of 126kph. There is simply insufficient impact structure on a F1 car to absorb the energy of such an impact without either destroying the driver’s survival cell, or generating non-survivable decelerations.

It is considered fundamentally wrong to try and make an impact between a racing car and a large and heavy vehicle survivable. It is imperative to prevent a car ever hitting the crane and/or the marshals working near it.

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting the canopy was a good idea, simply illustrating the point that aesthetics should be considered to an extent and that while we should always strive to make the sport safer, we should never make it clinically safe and there should always be an element of risk.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They might as well shove bodies on them and call it Can-Am racing just like the old day it was good to watch back then come to think of it so was F1.

• RMweb Gold

Best thing about Can Am was there were virtually no rules. They were brutal things, well until they were reigned in a bit.

And just like F1, the weather could invert the order. Was it 1968 when John Cannon won a round in an elderly (and how!) McLaren M1b which I think had been bought for him by Dan Blocker, star of the tv series Bonanza? The narrow tyres suited the very wet track, at misnamed Laguna Seca!

• RMweb Premium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6GGwYJ6Me8

Yes, but the spring then flew through the air and into Massa's helmet, causing him to be unconscious at the wheel at speed. In theory, the halo would deflect any projectile that threatened a drivers head.

As a side note, I'm surprised that Brawn GP wasn't more heavily punished by the FIA for the bit falling off in the first place. Edited by OnTheBranchline

Here's an interesting question that won't affect many of us reading this but.

If the new Pet / Des cars can't be sold after 2040 will there still be any form of Motor / Motor Cycle Sport?

I used to do Motor Cycle Trials, and Moto Cross, will they all have to be Electric as well?

I ALREADY MISS THE SMELL OF CASTROL ''R'' :no:  :no:  :no:

B O R I N G. :scared:  :scared:  :scared: 

And just like F1, the weather could invert the order. Was it 1968 when John Cannon won a round in an elderly (and how!) McLaren M1b which I think had been bought for him by Dan Blocker, star of the tv series Bonanza? The narrow tyres suited the very wet track, at misnamed Laguna Seca!

I remember John Cannon, He showed up here in Oz during the mid/late 70's and raced in Formula 5000, he was still reasonably competitive.

F 5000 - Another great series that went by the wayside, although there are enormous grids to be seen here and in NZ in Historic Racing.

There are moves afoot to introduce a modern version of F5000 back into Oz (but at a reasonable cost and good reliability)

The sound quality on the video isn't that flash, but there are a couple of parts where you can really hear the car on full song and it sounds like a million bucks. I can't wait to see the series get off the ground. I love the retro airbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGGWg4bJjA4

Sorry to go O/T regarding F1 Chaps, I just love Motorsport of all types.

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ironically castrol 'R' is more enviromentally friendly than most oils as it is a vegetable oil.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here's an interesting question that won't affect many of us reading this but.

If the new Pet / Des cars can't be sold after 2040 will there still be any form of Motor / Motor Cycle Sport?

I used to do Motor Cycle Trials, and Moto Cross, will they all have to be Electric as well?

Well, that "ruling" is for road vehicles, so technically it shouldn't affect motorsport, but...

How much would race fuel then cost? It's already pretty steep, the stuff I used to use in my bike was £5 per litre! People could always switch to methanol, an ideal partner for Castrol R!

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2

There is nothing to the rumour that the FIA are looking at wind-up rubber band power for F1.

They feel it would be stretching technologically and that some spectacle might be lost...

For the last few years Ferrari have an edge in hot races (brakes?), but there are plenty of other variables come race day.

Nice to see Di Resta back, and well done him for getting through qualifying without any pre-practice.

Edited by EddieB

For the last few years Ferrari have an edge in hot races (brakes?), but there are plenty of other variables come race day.

Nice to see Di Resta back, and well done him for getting through qualifying without any pre-practice.

Yeah, meant to say about young ''D'', just a wonderful effort, and I hope he has a good reliable day tomorrow.

• Like 4