RMweb

Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Oh, and I did spend some money.

Phil, you are aware that "Warley" is a model RAILWAY exhibition, are you?

At this rate, I can't see it being too long before you start buying O gauge models at a Scalefour show, or stuff like that.

Joking aside, I suspect that your new boat might be finding its way onto a "workbench" blog in the not too distant future. Well, it's either that or comments somewhere or other about using magnets (or whatever else it might be) to control the thing ….

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Best Warley I've been to in several years. Biggest boon for me is that the lighting appears to have been upgraded to something approximating to daylight rather than that dull yellow of previous years. A good spread of layouts, mostly reliable running and plenty of diversity. My personal favourite was 'Rowntree Halt', partly because I know the area but mainly because it is so well observed.  Some interesting different approaches from the continental exhibitors  - 'Yessltein' is very clever - a work of at as much as a model. I was there from 1000 til 1700 and didnt feel I'd seen it all then. Traders and exhibitors all seemed happy and keen to engage  - so i've had a fine time all around.

Its easy to make back the £16 admission by buying from the array of traders and saving on post and packing  - I'm well stocked up on wheels, etched parts, books and videos now to keep my going straight through Xmas!

• Like 4

I had an excellent day, as usual. Lots of very nice layouts, with varying degrees of activity on them! (Quite a few layouts seemed to be operated by people who had fitted their rolling stock with 3-link couplings 20-30 years ago when they had good eyesight....). But all excellent to look at, and star of the show has of course to be Leighton Buzzard.

Trade wise, I don't tend to buy much stock these days, but bought plenty of smaller items (including the remaining point I need for Aberystwyth Mark 2f) - many of which weren't on my "shopping list".

I didn't get whacked by any rucksacks (and I hope I didn't whack anybody with mine!) but several people walked straight into me... Didn't distract from the day though.

Big thanks to the Warley and NEC teams, all the exhibitors and traders and Arriva XC/Network Rail.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

I take it you will be visiting Dagworth and myself on the DEMU stand, we might not be millionaires but we like shortbread. :sungum:

I spotted Lord Bullock Of Abbottswood on my arrival but I have a feeling he was far too busy to ensure us lower minions didn't starve.

• Like 1

Shuuussshhh, don't tell everyone, locals little secret.....

I live close enough thankfully that parking isn't required, usually getting Natalie to get the car/drop the car outside my flat as needed (usually related to dropping/collecting my scooter).

It was right at the back of the hall. No bargains anymore though it seems to have gone expensive!

Not if you negotiate, I got £26 off my purchase, however they did comment whilst I was there that sales were down this year at that point in the weekend with prices being the differential so perhaps my negotiation was timely.

• RMweb Gold

If you park at Hamton-in-Arden, Berkswell, Tile HIll or Canley it is free and a short trip on the train.

Berkswell (say it as it looks) has a decent sized car park next to the station and an hourly service on Sundays to Birmingham International, for £2.30 return...

All the best,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed the show, as usual there was a good number of nice layouts and also plenty to tempt me to open my wallet.

My one criticism this year was the number of layouts where all the operators were excessively preoccupied with the fiddle yard and there was nothing moving ‘up front’ for protracted periods. Not all layouts of course, but it was more prevalent than it should have been. I overheard a number of the watching (and waiting) fee paying public complaining about this.

• RMweb Premium

I would like to say thank you all those who stopped at the DEMU stand and chatted to me about the EMUs I was building. I didn't get to see many layouts, or buy very much which means I was busy on the stand. Hopefully I did get the chance to say "Hello" to as many people whom I know, if I missed you sorry.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

LOL, almost got me to a tee

Good luck with MERG. It adds a new dimension to controlling trains, points, signals and all it requires is developing the skill of soldering components to boards.

• RMweb Gold

Well gang , Day one done and back home by 21.30.  busy and despite the odd panel being popped on the shell scheme a good day meeting and greeting.  A good load of friends from across the hobby seen as well! The Oliver models est 1967 shop was great fun, I was the Saturday lad at times as Barry was "swanning- off" to be a radios star with Pete Waterman on WM.  The folk who stopped to talk all produced great stories of the era and our shop was well stocked with key models of the time- If you visit Sunday do drop by - I think being open on the Sunday will not upset trading control as it is for viewing only !!

As noted above 90 layouts with crowds all day - watching or perhaps waiting to watch!! Apologies to Warley youth section when the sparkies and I muffed up a cabling upgrade and cut power for a few minutes !!      

A highlight was seeing the joy of the glowing H class and 1450 in the white lights of high bay LED over the orange glow of the past - I did note it did ruin my tan !! 

Thanks  to all on RM Web for your support and I really hope you get some inspiration from the 90 layouts and 200 traders and societies across the hall. 

Robert 

• Like 3

I liked

- mostyn . Ultimate roundy roundy for BR blue

- Farkham . Ultimate sectorisation for urban

- Isle of Wight steam G scale . Can't remember it's name but interesting .

- fact that I got all shawplan bits and paint in one spot .

I wondered about

- almost every N gauge layout needed a shove to get a train moving .

- backscenes that dont hide the fiddleyard ruin the sense of magic for me

- layouts that are more than 50% fiddle yard , when they say that isn't ideal .

I was scared by

- how close I got to buying an O gauge Dapol 08 from Cheltenham models for £180

- how much I now desire Peco bullhead having caressed it's beautiful curves

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It has been like that for years, going back 10 years or more.

I remember one year umm'ing and arr'ing over a couple of returns locos, finally deciding to give it a miss.

5 minutes later, I saw the same two locos, brand new, on a large box shifters stand, for only £5 more each.

I asked if there was anything off for buying a couple of locos. Nothing doing. So I asked what about if I bought a couple more (it was 2 more locos I was going to buy anyway) and he knocked off a tenner.

That was back around 2006 or 2007, as my lad was with me and he was only 14 or 15 at the time.

OK, there are usually a few genuine bargains, but most stuff isn't from my own observation.

I don't think it was that long ago

I have had a few bargains from there within the last five years, but not in the last maybe 2 or 3 years.

I had a GWR pannier tank at the end of the show and. the guy said "How much will you give for it?"

I think I paid £25. IIRC The RRP was around £60-£70. It was, as far as I could ascertain, fault free.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

- 'Yessltein' is very clever - a work of at as much as a model.

It's actually Ijsselstein!

The guy was explaining it is his take on an old Dutch Master painting, which he had a copy of, with train in it!:

post-6208-0-31319400-1511651543_thumb.jpg

It's a superb example of forced perspective.

It must rank as the shortest layout possible as the "train" shuttles back and forth across the confines of the "painting" and no further

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 10

I wondered about

- almost every N gauge layout needed a shove to get a train moving .

James Street being a notable exception - what a wonderful tangle of railway lines (and trams, though they weren't working) all going in different directions! I had to walk round it several times to figure out what went where. The sort of layout I used to doodle when I was a kid!

• RMweb Premium

I liked

- Farkham . Ultimate sectorisation for urban

For a contribution to Club funds you could take the layout home with you - remember that Farkham is for sale after the close of this show . . . . 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126877-farkham-is-for-sale/?p=2877837