Bachmann announce Midland 1P, Class 20/3, BEP buffet car, VEA, Prestwin and Carflat

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Yes, these 0-4-4Ts were very common the S&DJR and were frequently seen double-heading the Pines Express over Masbury and working heavy coal trains out of the North Somerset coalfield, banked by  a variety of Pecketts in various colourful liveries, definitely.

I'm still happy about this, by the way.

This one is having a rest at Bath, having been borrowed from Highbridge shed, probably exhausted by having to climb over Mendip, rather than cruising the Somerset levels.

Edit - this is an example of the 2228 class, not the 1532 or 1833 classes being portrayed by Bachman. Confusing as 58072 was a 1532/1833 class. (BRdatabase shows this as one class)The Midland ones weren't very common on the S&D. Only three appear to have been shedded at Highbridge in the 50s, including 58073, while five saw service out off Bath Green Park shed - two in the 1890s and the rest in the late 40s. The S&D had their own 0-4-4Ts. A post further down highlights some of their similarities and differences.

post-14351-0-63698100-1483981952_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

This one is having a rest at Bath, having been borrowed from Highbridge shed, probably exhausted by having to climb over Mendip, rather than cruising the Somerset levels.

attachicon.gifA Newman MR 0 4 4T BR 58073 Bath 30 7 1955.jpg

I do like the big handle to enable it to be returned to the fiddle yard more easily.

• RMweb Gold

No, that's a B5(S) which is a different bogie to the B5 used under the POT. Hence why I wrote "yes they have tooled a B5 bogie for hauled stock" - and before anyone says 4TCs were hauled stock no they were not, they were classified as units and numbered accordingly.

My apologies.

Griff

Were the different classes of 1Ps eventually made identical, where driving wheels were the same size? Bachmann have said its a '1532' loco but the BR one (58072) was  a '1833' while 58073 photoed above was a '2228' 

'1532's that carried BR numbers were

58040 allocated to Skipton in Nov 1950 and Royston in Jan 1954. Withdrawn March 1955

58041 withdrawn March 1950

58042 allocated to Buxton in Nov 1950 and withdrawn December 1951

58043 allocated to Plaistiow in Nov 1950 and withdrawn February 1951

58045 allocated to Wellingborough in Nov 1950 and withdrawn October 1951

58046 allocated to Highbridge in Nov 1950 and withdrawn December 1951

58047 allocated to Highbridge in Nov 1950 and withdrawn July 1952

58051 allocated to Gloucester in both Nov 1950 and Jan 1954. Withdrawn October 1956

Despite not being renumbered 1324, allocated to Nottingham in Nov 1950, was the third longest lasting '1532' (was to be 58050) , until March 1953.

A bit more than the £36.13 which was still showing today on their website, if I remember correctly that was the assumed? Best guess? at the time. How times have changed........ let's hope the VEA currently showing at £20, does not end up at £40+

39-726DC

BR MK2F "Aircon" DBSO Driving Brake Second Open ScotRail with DCC interior lighting. Price is estimated - we will notify you if price rises and offer option to cancel

OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)

Pre-order price: £36.13

Release information not available

Based on another thread I am seeing the non DCC version is £40 something rather than £70 something.

• RMweb Premium

Note the slots in the tank front - allowing air to circulate between the cosmetic outer panel and the tank wall, to aid in condensing the exhaust steam. Non-condensing locos lacked this feature. Will Bachmann reproduce this subtle difference?

Will this be the first RTR model of a condensing loco?

Note the slots in the tank front - allowing air to circulate between the cosmetic outer panel and the tank wall, to aid in condensing the exhaust steam. Non-condensing locos lacked this feature. Will Bachmann reproduce this subtle difference?

Will this be the first RTR model of a condensing loco?

The N2 has them. Released decades ago and still available.

Jason

Whoops! just seen the 31 is n gauge!

Specsavers appointment booked.

Paul

I got SpecSavers to make me some magnifying spectacles with a higher than normal prescription specifically for modelling. Maybe if I lend them to you it'll look like 00 gauge.

The 1P is a delightful issue.  Especially as it will be available in the original MR guise.  That saves me from 'back modifying' it to a pre-grouping guise!

If only Bachmann or Hornby would issue pre-grouping coaches.  Can't see why they don't, as liveries could cover several periods, even up to late BR days, and l, for one, would buy several rakes of suitable coaches.  After all, apart from the modified ex-LSWR coaches, suitable only for the 30's onwards, and the 'Gate stock' soon to be available (?) there are very few pre-group items in prospect.

• Like 1

Old style galvanised steel was nowhere near as good as the modern chemically cleaned, hot-dipped steel.  As it rusted it was normal to prime the rusted spots, and the normal primer was "red lead".

You must be joking.

Hot dip galv was put on so thick that it would last virtually for ever.

If bare spots did occur then the zinc would seal the edges of the exposed area to stop further corrosion.

Touching in was just what you should not do.

It had to be put on thick as it was not possible to measure the thickness during dipping.

Take a look at an electricity pylon and you will see just how this type of galvanizing stands the test of time.

The only time that I found it not to be the best answer was when I was involved in building a fish processing plant in Bangladesh. I suggested that they built the structure in hardwood.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Most looking forward to the Vulcan Train pack, as seems to be a great selection of items.

Although Hatton's price seems to be rather optimistic though really.

Chris

Didn't Vulcan build some of the S&DJR 1P 0-4-4Ts?! Just trying to cross-connect some of the strands of this thread!

• RMweb Premium

The 1P is a delightful issue.  Especially as it will be available in the original MR guise.  That saves me from 'back modifying' it to a pre-grouping guise!

The photo on the Bachmann website shows No.1273 with brass numbers between the initials M R. It has a Johnson smokebox and chimney with a flat Deeley smokebox door, which places it sometime around the 1907 renumbering. Is it old No. 1539 of the 1532 class, renumbered 1273, or old No. 1273 of the 1252 class, shortly to be renumbered 1247? Either way it's constrained to a rather narrow time-frame; I can't help feeling Bachmann would be better off producing an engine in slightly later condition, with a fully-Deelyfied front end and number in large transfer numerals on the tank side - which would be good for c1910 up to the grouping, much as I may wish for a model in original Johnson condition (including smokebox door) and full pre-1907 livery! (I am sure this photo is in one of my books but haven't managed to locate it.)

• RMweb Premium

Were the different classes of 1Ps eventually made identical, where driving wheels were the same size? Bachmann have said its a '1532' loco but the BR one (58072) was  a '1833' while 58073 photoed above was a '2228' 

The locos listed by Bachmann are:

MR 1273 - '1532' Class (assuming it is the post 1907 number)

LMS 1303 - '1532' Class

BR 58072 - '1833' Class

As far as I can find, these were externally the same when built, condensing gear apart. Bachmann have avoided the later '2228's which had higher side tanks and a distinctly more chunky appearance. Good decision IMO as the earlier engines are certainly prettier.

Replying to Compound2632: yes, but those brass numerals do look good and the loco appears to retain its attractive Johnson chimney. As this is a pure collectors item from Bachmann's point of view, issues of applicable dates are likely of secondary importance.

Info from "Midland Engines (No. 1)", Wild Swan.

The only thing I wish is that they did less sound/weathered examples. My list would be quite a bit longer if these models were "normal" as it would have included the hall, 56xx and the class 44. Also is it just me, or are some of the GWR tanks not shown websites like Hattons/Rails? (Particularly 32-078, 32-083A and 32-135B)

Didn't Vulcan build some of the S&DJR 1P 0-4-4Ts?! Just trying to cross-connect some of the strands of this thread!

The first nine built in 1877 were built by Avonside; stated as being a little smaller than the Midland engines , presumably a reference to '6' class no.6 and '1262' class no's 1262 & 1263 which had been let to the S&D. The four 1884-5 locos were Vulcan engines, described as having larger bunkers and side tanks and lower domes and safety valve casings as well as "gangway doors" which had yet to be fitted to Midland engines. Source: Locos Illustrated No.138

They probably haven't released a Crimson LMS Compound due to a possible clash with the Limited Edition Midland Compound.

Jason

Most likely; the last ones sold out on the Locomotion Models website just before Christmas, after hanging around for the best part of five years - although at its original £140 price, plus £5 p&p, in those days it have seemed *very* expensive...

You must be joking.

Hot dip galv was put on so thick that it would last virtually for ever.

If bare spots did occur then the zinc would seal the edges of the exposed area to stop further corrosion.

Touching in was just what you should not do.

It had to be put on thick as it was not possible to measure the thickness during dipping.

Take a look at an electricity pylon and you will see just how this type of galvanizing stands the test of time.

The only time that I found it not to be the best answer was when I was involved in building a fish processing plant in Bangladesh. I suggested that they built the structure in hardwood.

Bernard

We are talking about Victorian galvanising.  The metal was impure, the surface was not cleaned properly and the galvanising irregular.