Bachmann announce Midland 1P, Class 20/3, BEP buffet car, VEA, Prestwin and Carflat

Andy Y

Note the slots in the tank front - allowing air to circulate between the cosmetic outer panel and the tank wall, to aid in condensing the exhaust steam. Non-condensing locos lacked this feature. Will Bachmann reproduce this subtle difference?

Will this be the first RTR model of a condensing loco?

Nope Airfix beat them to it with the LNER N2.

Edit just saw someone else said the same as Airfix tool is owned by Hornby.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Pre-TOPs blue diesels don't sell very well apparently. I asked today.

Such a shame really.

But there you go.

Going by the tone of this thread ,it looks like there are quite a few of us, that don`t get what we want.

Heljan seem ok with it, fortunately.

Some of their early blue stuff is hard to find.. been looking for the RTC class 17 for ages, blue 23 isn't the easiest either.

Edited by adb968008

Hi all,

Continuing my military theme from posts prior to Christmas (Hatton's Warwell & Bacmann Warflats), I am really looking forward to getting a rake of VEA vans in Railfreight red & grey livery.

The million dollar question, of course is when will these be available?

Maybe the new Bachmann 2017 catalogue will reveal all......

• RMweb Premium

In 4mm:-

Like the Speedlink 47 and Coal 37.

• VEAs are great, just the pricing could be interesting

• Re-runs of OBAs, BAAs in RF liveries are a good move, all popular in the 2nd hand market.

In 2mm:-

• Refurb Class 31 was a no brainer. Nice choice of liveries too.

• Retool TEA - About time! But pricing could be eye watering, especially considering likely to buy in greater quantities to model nearer to scale length trains. Also no Shell mono block livery announced (yet?).

• Surprised the VEA hasn't been scaled down to 2mm. A missed opportunity?

• Still no retooled VBA or VDA vans! Would of been the ideal opportunity to release these if celebrating BR Railfreight!

Wonder if Bachmann might scale up the Class 31 to 4mm?

Hornby seem to be reluctant to issue new models of the super detailed Class 31. The liveries announced for 2mm would be nice in 4mm, for this popular class.

• Like 4

Why would you be pleased about that? I think it's a pretty poor show, actually: five years later and it's still in the Drawing Office.

Though there were some jolly nice things elsewhere in their announcement.

Paul

At least they give updates on the 158. Four years since they announced the 170 and 166 and not a single update since.

Good news with the 4 Bep, a very logical step.

I have been a regular supporter of both Bachmann and Hornby for many years. My main hope

is that Bachmann can play catch up. The main problem seems to be production capacity in China.

Hornby can now, on occasion, produce a model in the same year as announcement, and we are now

seeing a steady flow of product from them. And Hornby once had, for different reasons, a serious

production problem.

I like Bachmann products, but I do wish things could be speeded up a bit.( lot ).

I certainly hope this is the way the industry is heading. Just makes things more straightforward if items advertised in a year's catalogue are released that year or at the latest the year after.

Also frustrating when some items appear to 'jump the queue' in that they are announced later and released earlier than other models.

• Like 1

I certainly hope this is the way the industry is heading. Just makes things more straightforward if items advertised in a year's catalogue are released that year or at the latest the year after.

Also frustrating when some items appear to 'jump the queue' in that they are announced later and released earlier than other models.

Different models will move faster through the development stages than others - for example at the Artwork stage little time IMO will be needed to be spent on the 009 4-6-0PT for example as all over black with just the position of the works, name and or number plates to suss out.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not going to go back up through this thread and find a relevant post, but looking at Hatton's list of Bachmann new releases for 2017, in addition to the standard items there is a limited edition 32-815RJ 47805 "John Scott" in DRS livery http://www.hattons.co.uk/251465/Bachmann_Branchline_32_815RJ_Class_47_8_47805_John_Scott_in_Direct_Rail_Services_blue_Limited_Edition_of_512/StockDetail.aspx. Standard release 32-815 was 47834 FIRE FLY in Intercity swallow livery, so in principle it should be to the same spec/details.

Don't think this release has been mentioned in this thread before. 

The locos listed by Bachmann are:

MR 1273 - '1532' Class (assuming it is the post 1907 number)

LMS 1303 - '1532' Class

BR 58072 - '1833' Class

As far as I can find, these were externally the same when built, condensing gear apart. Bachmann have avoided the later '2228's which had higher side tanks and a distinctly more chunky appearance. Good decision IMO as the earlier engines are certainly prettier.

Info from LI 138  the '1532' Class (65 engines built at Derby between 1881 and 1886) introduced  a larger bunker compared to earlier locos

Thereafter:-

1889 - The '1823' Class  (30 engines built at Derby) introduced 18" cylinders in place of the 17" used previously.

BR numbered locos were

58051 withdrawn October 1956. Allocated to Gloucester in Nov 1950 and Highbridge in Jan 1954.

58052 withdrawn April 1951. Allocated to Royston in Nov 1950.

58053 withdrawn February 1953. Allocated to Wellingborough in Nov 1950.

58054 withdrawn November 1955. Allocated to Gloucester in Nov 1950 and Plaistow in Jan 1954.

58056 withdrawn September 1954. Allocated to Nottingham in Nov 1950.

58058 withdrawn October 1952. Allocated to Derby in Nov 1950.

1892 - The '1833' Class  (20 engines built at Derby) introduced a higher boiler pressure - 150lb/sq in compared to to 140lb/sq in.

BR numbered locos were

58059 withdrawn October 1950. Allocated to Manningham in Nov 1950.

58060 withdrawn June 1952. Allocated to Leed in Nov 1950.

58061 withdrawn November 1950. Allocated to Skipton in Nov 1950.

58062 withdrawn June 1956. Allocated to Plaistow in both Nov 1950 and Jan 1954.

58065 withdrawn October 1959. Allocated to Plaistow (Nov 1950, Jan 1954 and Jan 1959)

58066 withdrawn October 1958. Allocated to Royston in Nov 1950 and Skipton in Jan 1954

EDIT: LI refers to larger tanks as being introduced with no.2218 in 1893, the first of a further 10 engines of the '1833' class built by Neilson  in 1893, but other sources note these were built by Dubs  with condensing gear. The larger tanks coming with the   '2228' class of 1895, which also had larger firebox with higher pitched boiler and shorter chimney; albeit most were later lost these boilers.as no spares were made.

Consequently of those 10 Dubs built '1833's the following were BR numbered

58068 withdrawn October 1953. Allocated to Millhouses in Nov 1950.

58069 withdrawn May 1952. Allocated to Manningham in Nov 1950.

58070 withdrawn February 1953. Allocated to Manningham in Nov 1950.

58071 withdrawn July 1956. Allocated to Millhouses in Nov 1950 and Gloucester in Jan 1954.

58072 withdrawn October 1956. Allocated to Leicester in Nov 1950 and Highbridge in Jan 1954.

Of those '1833' class loco that did not receive their BR numbers the longest lasting was the intended 58067; 1370, originally 2022 , which  lasted until February 1953 and was allocated to Millhouses in Nov 1950. The sole M prefixed loco, M1365 and originally 2017, which was intended  to be 58063 was withdrawn in May 1951 and was allocated to Gloucester in Nov 1950.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

Would that be the one made on the moon. Assembled by moonins, and paid in cheese. Obviously by lbs and oz! None of this foreign stuff!

Hmmm...harks back to some pop song from the Sixties 'Everyones gone to the moon', or some such title. Can't remember who was the artist..'Jonathan?'...

• Like 1

Wonder if Bachmann might scale up the Class 31 to 4mm?

Hornby seem to be reluctant to issue new models of the super detailed Class 31. The liveries announced for 2mm would be nice in 4mm, for this popular class.

There has been quite strong criticism of the body shape of the Hornby 'full fat' Class 31 and indeed praise for the Railroad version, of which a green'un has just been announced for 2017. With Hornby having two different versions in its portfolio would Bachmann really consider this commercially sensible?

58066 withdrawn October 1958. Allocated to Royston in Nov 1950 and Skipton in Jan 1954

According to my sources, and backed up by the BR Loco Database website it was basically at Royston from 1945 until withdrawal.  It may have actually been to Hellifield for a time in 1953, and was a paper transfer to Skipton in 1954, but then back to Royston.

When the NE Region came into being, it was borrowed by Keighley (/Manningham) when they were short of push pull fitted locos as by then Royston was the 'nearest' shed with push pull fitted locos which Manningham could ask for help if they were short of locos for the Worth Valley branch.  Prior to the NE region then Manningham would have asked Skipton (and prior to the Keighley was under Skipton) but these requests rarely went between the regions other than in times of dire need. (main source is the Midland Record no 34 on Locos used on the Worth Valley branch).

I knew this would happen.

31-742  Midland Railway 1532 Class (1P) 0-4-4 No. 58072 in BR Lined Black livery with Early Emblem.

As soon as I got hold of a Craftman one.

Can You try and buy yourself a Turbomotive next so I know there will be a RTR one along. :jester:

Ian

Delighted to see the Midland Class 1532 (1P) announcement, this has been top of my wish list for many years. An 0-4-4 is reputedly one of the trickiest wheel arrangements to get right when building a kit, and the popularity of the Hornby M7 suggests this will be a popular loco. My only regret is that as I model 1930s LMS I can't justify buying the Midland Red version.....

The obvious gap in the market now is an LMS push pull set to go with it.

• RMweb Premium

Info from LI 138  the '1532' Class (65 engines built at Derby between 1881 and 1886) introduced  a larger bunker compared to earlier locos

Thereafter:-

1889 - The '1823' Class  (30 engines built at Derby) introduced 18" cylinders in place of the 17" used previously.

BR numbered locos were

1892 - The '1833' Class  (20 engines built at Derby) introduced a higher boiler pressure - 150lb/sq in compared to to 140lb/sq in.

Thereafter larger tanks were introduced with no.2218, the first of a further 10 engines of the '1833' class built by Neilson  in 1893.

Sorry to disagree, but the Wild Swan publication lists 2218 as the first of the second batch of the '1833' class, ten engines built by Dübs with condensing gear. Bachmann's BR 58072 (originally 2226) was one of this batch.

Larger tanks began with 2228, again built by Dübs, and BR 58073 as shown in post #378 was one of these. Compare that photo with Bachmann's one of 58072 and I think it's clear that 58072 doesn't have the larger tanks.

Sorry to disagree, but the Wild Swan publication lists 2218 as the first of the second batch of the '1833' class, ten engines built by Dübs with condensing gear. Bachmann's BR 58072 (originally 2226) was one of this batch.

Larger tanks began with 2228, again built by Dübs, and BR 58073 as shown in post #378 was one of these. Compare that photo with Bachmann's one of 58072 and I think it's clear that 58072 doesn't have the larger tanks.

Makes sense - presumably an error in LI. Will edit earlier posting.

• Like 1

I am absolutley gutted that Bachmann have overlooked Drummonds Bug. I felt sure this would have been a nailed on dead cert....... not even given me the chance to moan about the price. I feel deprived.............. :mosking:

Oh well, i shall have to console myself with saving hard for the numerous Duffs that have been announced, including a Mainline liveried 47/8 that my mate tells me is being offered to Welsh retailers. Have been waiting for one of these, not sure if it has the tiny or large cabside numbers yet. I would have liked 37099 to be sound fitted, but easy enough for my local store to sort it.

Its a nice balanced list of models at a time when the market needs stability in my opinon. While i am fed up of hearing about the delays and boomerang pricing on the Mk2F's (although i do not remember Bachamnn actually publishing a price for these) i know that as they plod along at Barwell, they will probably be nice models in the end. For about £10 more than their much older Mk1's or a not very good Hornby 2E, for a non DCC offering. As long as they get that lighting right, with the vestribules and toilets included, then i am sure i shall succumb.

Poor Wallet, The Gran kids shall have to cut back on their endless thirst for new technology that month, their ability to keep me in the poverty to which i am acustomed is stunning.

In amongst the hype of twitter latest CAD fireworks and facebook dancing girls holding up posters of another new announcment, you sometimes need a plodder who quietly gets there in the end. Bachmann and Peco.......... As Beer states on their mag, "At The Heart of the Hobby"...... theres a lot of truth in that i think.

Edited by Fantastic Mr Fox
  • Like 4