GWR HST

Revolution Mike B

Guest Midland Mole

I have the power cars but getting hold of all the coaches I need to make the prototypical formation is now tough without ordering individual coaches from multiple retailers and possibly even ebay.

I live in hope Hornby will do another run in the future with different running numbers and I will make sure to be quicker next time. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

• 2 weeks later...

I have the power cars but getting hold of all the coaches I need to make the prototypical formation is now tough without ordering individual coaches from multiple retailers and possibly even ebay.

I live in hope Hornby will do another run in the future with different running numbers and I will make sure to be quicker next time. :)

Alex

...and then they were gone. Trawling the stands at Warley today I noticed not a single GWR liveried HST coach available for sale, and I had a good look. A couple of retailers (inc rails) were selling combined loco and coach packs to make a 7 car set, and wouldn't split these despite being asked every 5 minutes it seemed, otherwise there were no spare coaches anywhere. If you dont have your coaches now you may as well start humming the mission impossible theme tune... (unless Hornby do another run)

*gribble*

...and then they were gone. Trawling the stands at Warley today I noticed not a single GWR liveried HST coach available for sale, and I had a good look. A couple of retailers (inc rails) were selling combined loco and coach packs to make a 7 car set, and wouldn't split these despite being asked every 5 minutes it seemed, otherwise there were no spare coaches anywhere. If you dont have your coaches now you may as well start humming the mission impossible theme tune... (unless Hornby do another run)

*gribble*

You can hardly blame them,they would end up with the power cars, TGS and possibly the 1st class carriages left  and without any Standard class coaches to go with them they would just sit on the shelf.

I have just ordered a HST set off them, and am looking for some more Standard class coaches (I would settle for some 1sts) to make up a full length 8 coach set, I would do better following a rocking horse around waiting for it produce some 'manure'.

Come on Hornby you know it makes sense to do another run of GWR green Standards, may I recommend 42300 or 43579 with 42299 being an outside chance.

LA15 is currently running around with a blue TGS (44100 instead of 44040) and a blue coach C (42381 instead of 42299).

Note to self-

Stop dithering when new items I want are released!

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 2

Burevalleymodels still have 3 of the 5 in stock

Just clicked on there and the 1sts are now showing out of stock, aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh.

IN fact they are all showing out of stock, so as its (nearly) Panto season OH NO THEY HAVENT. 

Thanks for the heads up though.

Edit-

Just grabbed the last 2 First class coaches I can find anywhere, two different sellers mind, just one more to find.

Edited by royaloak

Hattons still have seven Firsts in stock.

Not showing on their website?

edit-

It only shows when you search for the R4815 number and not when looking in the Era method.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

I found the printed details on the mk3's (coach number and letter) very easy to remove with a T Cut soaked cotton bud, I imagine the First Class stripe and 1 would be just as easy. Perhaps a solution for those that can't find the standard class coaches?

Anybody know anywhere that still has some TSOs?

Not found any and believe me I have been looking, I ended up getting some TFs (no 'O' on HST sets) and will remove the pathetic little silver stripe (thats a dig at GWR not Hornby), the 1st class sign near the doors and renumber them, I have already sorted out my RailTec shopping list but am not allowed anything else at the moment because I have been a bit naughty with the credit card.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a good idea. Do the Hornby TFs have the same 2x2 seating inside as the TSs as I was planning on lighting them up and fitting passengers so want it to look prototypical?

All the Hornby gWr mk3's have 2+1 seating for some reason.

Sounds like a good idea. Do the Hornby TFs have the same 2x2 seating inside as the TSs as I was planning on lighting them up and fitting passengers so want it to look prototypical?

The good news is the TF have 2+1 seating, the 2s are correctly all around tables but the single seats are also around tables whereas they should be airline style except for a couple at the end.

More bad news is that the TS also have the same 2+1 interiors as the TF all around tables.

The TFKB is also 2+1 around tables but the tinting is quite dark (the same as the other coaches) so I cant see if it has seating all the way along.

The TGS has 2+2 seating also arranged around tables so if you want a correct interior a lot of modelling is required.

In other news I quite like the level of gloss finish on them, it is very effective without being over the top.

Hi Philou here,

My first ever comment on RMWeb - though I have been a regular visitor to the forums for a while!

I thought I'd add my €2's worth to the discussion. I have always shied away from gloss finish on models as to my mind, the gloss look has never looked quite 'right'. However, I saw photos of the model and it looked just so good, I went and ordered a pair of power cars. I was not disappointed and similarly to martin_i_jones above, I too bought transfers from Railtec to create 'The Welshman'. The power cars look all the better for it - but I have to give them a light coating of gloss varnish. Fingers crossed I won't make a mess of it.

I was fortunate enough to be able to secure 8 assorted trailers (unfortunately one too many TFs and one TS short). Those of you looking for TSs, up until Sunday night Olivia's Trains still had stock - as my missing TS is on its way from them.

Can I offer some advice to those that want to do some renumbering - take care in removing the numbers as they appear to come off with a chisel-ended cocktail stick reasonably easily from one side but were a little tougher on the other - being over-enthusiastic I dug a little too much into the paintwork when removing the number on one side of one coach. Fortunately nothing too serious that won't disguised by the new number. For what it's worth, you may wish to avoid the T-Cut method because, as I understand it, it dulls the paintwork, whereas water-slide transfers prefer a glossy finish onto which they adhere more securely. The cocktail stick method did the job well (subject to the above over-enthusiasm).

Next step? I'm going DCC sound in all my new loco stock so this unit will done too. Regrettably it'll have to be the MTU sound rather than the Valenta :((. Also, I'm considering putting working Brake Interlock Lights in the coaches. I saw that John Gymer of YouChoos had done it to a Class 156 (?) - I was really impressed by that - so having a full rake of trailers renumbered as appropriate for LA15 (as of the 7th November this year), I may as well go the whole hog and do it, plus some internal lighting - and why not the warning bleep too?

One last thing before I forget, regarding the blanking out of the window in the TSD (coach C) for the disabled persons' toilet, as mentioned further above, the window is not half blanked off - I can't get to the UK to have a look - but it appears from photographs on the web that it's more like 2/5ths clear and 3/5ths blanked out - perhaps someone could confirm? Fortunately the blanked out section lies in the matt-finish paintwork that may be a little easier to match - did anyone mention Teal Green? ;)) There appears to be no window blanking in the TFD (coach K) - there being no disabled persons' toilet - just dedicated seating.

I'll let you know how I get on, if you like.

Cheers,

Phil

One last thing before I forget, regarding the blanking out of the window in the TSD (coach C) for the disabled persons' toilet, as mentioned further above, the window is not half blanked off - I can't get to the UK to have a look - but it appears from photographs on the web that it's more like 2/5ths clear and 3/5ths blanked out - perhaps someone could confirm? Fortunately the blanked out section lies in the matt-finish paintwork that may be a little easier to match - did anyone mention Teal Green? ;)

Only on one side, on the other side it is gloss green.

Gloss green side-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iephst2/33630123465/in/photolist-TeMb3V-ZwvnLy-SbG3fG-QfwbzE-PHgtuC-PHgh5U-QdVhj7-Q4fdRo-QMWoex-GcCNGS-GcCHUL-F1q1zN-EMqBL2-BLeFDT-z46gPg-yQ2K6y-yzNRw8-xVhULN-yPJRpf-ySPZpk-yR4amw-yPJV49-uWKMwx-ri42VY-QKXKt5-RFboHe-RMDw2P-RJYmzy-QNmrP5-RjdTUy-QVCCDt-R778fg-R779rp-P89Ehb-Tbxhnv-M19H2J-LZQgLa-KRGKYd-KQvwbh-KqfK4R-HLq3kp-HLpBgs-HEpzWP-JADm2K-JtPVqr-KebTof-JcxyHT-HYD9LS-GNxZuz-JivXBw

Edited by royaloak

Hi Philou here,

Thanks royaloak - I hadn't seen a photo of the glossy side before :((. Oh well, a bit more work to the windows in view (oops - sorry) and a slightly harder job regarding paint matching.

Cheers,

Phil