GWR HST

Revolution Mike B

• RMweb Gold

Indeed they've arrived and I think the gloss finish looks pretty good, I had one out on display on our test track yesterday morning and only got good comments. It's a nice change and something different from Hornby. :) They're selling fantastically too, our second batch is due on Monday as all of the pre-orders have now wiped out our first batch (not that we're complaining!). 

• Like 1

Indeed they've arrived and I think the gloss finish looks pretty good, I had one out on display on our test track yesterday morning and only got good comments. It's a nice change and something different from Hornby. :) They're selling fantastically too, our second batch is due on Monday as all of the pre-orders have now wiped out our first batch (not that we're complaining!). 

I think they look pretty good and excellent service from Derails as usual.

• RMweb Premium

Received my gwr hst today the gloss finish looks great. Just need some coaches now. Does any one know the correct formation?

This website lists the correct type and numbers.

http://www.abrail.co.uk/lhcsstockformations.htm

And just for interests sake, here is a seating plan from the GWR website

https://www.gwr.com/~/media/gwr/pdfs/safety-information/hst-seating-plan.pdf?la=en

Edited by Hilux5972

After perusing Rails video, and seeing the rather Drab looking Class 800 sample in Green, plus Bachmann's 57, I think Hornby have made a good choice of finish.  It certainly looks more like how you see the things in real life at the moment, and to be honest GWR seem to keep things clean, so personally all for it.  Looking forward to getting mine...please don't disappoint me Hornby!  And if it looks good in the flesh, hope Hornby re-consider doing the Class 800 in Gloss too, so they match.  Logic to me would be, most people with a GWR HST will be the ones buying the Class 800, and as they span the same years, would be nice if people could run them together and they didnt look like chalk and cheese....

Regards,

C.

Unfortunately IEP's are done with vinyl wraps and have a more satin finish. They are white underneath. The HSTs are painted though and the glossy finish on the model is superb.

Received my gwr hst today the gloss finish looks great. Just need some coaches now. Does any one know the correct formation?

Officially you need a TGS, x5 Trailer standards, one buffet and one trailer first in that order. However sometimes GWR sets can be a bit mix and match running short formed with buffet cars missing and the wrong way around. Also first class carriages in place of standard class etc. Green power cars/carriages are often formed with FGW blue sets so you have plenty of variety.

Unfortunately IEP's are done with vinyl wraps and have a more satin finish. They are white underneath. The HSTs are painted though and the glossy finish on the model is superb.

The 800s are vinyled, the 802s are painted and are more glossy for it.

It is thought that the later 800s will as be painted.

Just a balancing comment. Though praises for the gloss finish are high on the forum. I would make the point that if you are a modeller inclined to like gloss finish, you would of bought the GWR HST, and thus be pleased with it. I shall note those who do not like gloss (the majority of modellers), have not bought this model and thus would not complain about the finish. A subtle but important point.

I guess this is why it is a limited edition to only 1000 units....

A very reasonable compromise going forward it to highlight the Bachmann solution. To offer a dull eggshell finish in the main catalogue and offer a gloss finish to the limited edition commissioning retailers. Notable 66779 Evening Star satisfies both the majority who like a non shiny finish and the limited 500-1000 who enjoy gloss.

I cannot understand Hornby's decision, seeing as financially they are reported to be struggling, in releasing a limited number of GWR HSTs as opposed to a standard production run plus a limited gloss to satisfy the entire market.

Seeing as these two Class 43s modelled shall be featured in the HST GTi formations from 2018, I would of thought there would be a sustainable demand for GWR green on a HST.... (subject to Oxford's releasing sliding door Mk3s....)

Seeing as the GWR green Class 43s tend not to keep to a HST formation of green coaches, I am happy to continue modelling the transition period on the GW with FGW purple HSTs and the IETs.

Personal preference has really made this thread topical, one is grateful Bachmann at least have acknowledged there is demand for gloss finish and where suitable on modern stock release it to the limited edition commissioning retailers as opposed to the main catalogue.

• Like 1

The 800s are vinyled, the 802s are painted and are more glossy for it.

It is thought that the later 800s will as be painted.

Yes, as far as I have understood:

800001-036 DfT grey paint with GWR green vinyl

800301 DfT grey paint with GWR green vinyl - tbc (302-304 delivered green from Japan / 305 in build U.K. In green)

800302-321 GWR green paint

802001-022 GWR green paint

802101-114 GWR green paint

Edited by 159220

• RMweb Premium

Just a balancing comment. Though praises for the gloss finish are high on the forum. I would make the point that if you are a modeller inclined to like gloss finish, you would of bought the GWR HST, and thus be pleased with it. I shall note those who do not like gloss (the majority of modellers), have not bought this model and thus would not complain about the finish. A subtle but important point.

Personally I'm not sure that is an important point. Some people, such are yourself, are obviously dismissing the gloss finish out of hand, whilst others are more receptive, and are saying "yes, it's good" having actually seen it. I'm not convinced there's a significant market of people actively seeking out gloss finishes, there are very few after all.

I think you're overvaluing your opinion.

• RMweb Premium

Paint finish is a perennial discussion point that has always divided opinion I think. I find many RTR models to be too flat and dull, yet gloss finishes can end up toy like. One of the reasons I like the models made by companies like Ajin, Samhongsa and Tenshodo is the beautiful, deep, rich semi-gloss lustre they achieve.

And I think this Hornby HST looks splendid, I love the finish.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I'm not sure that is an important point. Some people, such are yourself, are obviously dismissing the gloss finish out of hand, whilst others are more receptive, and are saying "yes, it's good" having actually seen it. I'm not convinced there's a significant market of people actively seeking out gloss finishes, there are very few after all.

I think you're overvaluing your opinion.

And jumping to conclusions for which there is no valid substance.......subtle :scratchhead: ? Hornby for very sound reasons..which do not I'm sure involve gloss or any other paint finish or for that matter financial stability, have often limited production runs for a long time now.There really is no body of opinion to judge the matter of gloss/standard finish one way or another.It's down to individual preference and that is all

Just a balancing comment. Though praises for the gloss finish are high on the forum. I would make the point that if you are a modeller inclined to like gloss finish, you would of HAVE bought the GWR HST, and thus be pleased with it. I shall note those who do not like gloss (the majority of modellers), have not bought this model and thus would not complain about the finish. A subtle but important point.

What about the vast majority of potential purchasers who simply want a GWR green HST?

Maybe the majority of ordinary modellers havent bought one because they dont want a GWR green HST, gloss finish or otherwise!

I cant see very many people buying this simply because it has a gloss finish.

Edited by royaloak

Received mine yesterday and delighted with the model. Really like the gloss finish for a change.

I know it is a limited edition but seriously contemplating adding the Welsh Dragon decals to 43188.

Was going to respray a pair but have now got the Old Oak Common decals so looks like I will be ending up with two pairs of GWR liveried power cars!

Keep an eye on Parkway in layouts for progress.

Regards

John

• Like 3

And jumping to conclusions for which there is no valid substance.......subtle :scratchhead: ? Hornby for very sound reasons..which do not I'm sure involve gloss or any other paint finish or for that matter financial stability, have often limited production runs for a long time now.There really is no body of opinion to judge the matter of gloss/standard finish one way or another.It's down to individual preference and that is all

I think it'd depend greatly on the subject too whether a gloss/standard finish is right. Bulled-up, ex-works locos perhaps for a naming ceremony or Royal Train duties would suit a higher gloss finish than run of the mill examples

After perusing Rails video, and seeing the rather Drab looking Class 800 sample in Green, plus Bachmann's 57, I think Hornby have made a good choice of finish.  It certainly looks more like how you see the things in real life at the moment, and to be honest GWR seem to keep things clean, so personally all for it.  Looking forward to getting mine...please don't disappoint me Hornby!  And if it looks good in the flesh, hope Hornby re-consider doing the Class 800 in Gloss too, so they match.  Logic to me would be, most people with a GWR HST will be the ones buying the Class 800, and as they span the same years, would be nice if people could run them together and they didnt look like chalk and cheese....

Regards,

C.

Managed to acquire mine yesterday.  Hornby certainly have not disappointed - its absolutely fantastic!  The gloss looks great, and in my opinion, if anything, makes the model look more like an HST.   Has anyone noticed even the instrumentation inside the cab has been picked out in black, silver and orange!  Superb! The only thing I have noticed though, is that the orange cantrail stripe has a slight "frown" on the front of the cab, whilst it should be horizontal.  Cannot decide if its a painting issue due to the complex curvature on the HSTs front, or a tooling issue from the HST moulding.

Irrespective, they are lovely and when the MK3's arrive, should look brilliant!  Another expensive month coming up!  Well done Hornby!

Regards.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Officially you need a TGS, x5 Trailer standards, one buffet and one trailer first in that order. However sometimes GWR sets can be a bit mix and match running short formed with buffet cars missing and the wrong way around. Also first class carriages in place of standard class etc. Green power cars/carriages are often formed with FGW blue sets so you have plenty of variety.

I went past old oak yesterday and there was a 4 coach blue set there with a green power car on one end, blue on the other. No idea if it is in public use though.

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone noticed even the instrumentation inside the cab has been picked out in black, silver and orange. Superb!

That’s one of the things I love about the new generation HST. When you look at the amount of detail there is, it’s easy to see why it costs what it does. And to me, it’s well worth the cost!

• Like 1