GWR HST

Revolution Mike B

My standard class TSO (R4781A) is also moulded in red plastic.

Also anyone know why are there no reviews of the HST or mk3s in the latest editions of the well known model railway mags?

Hornby had stopped giving free samples to magazines, although I believe that may have been partially reversed.

With the GWR HST's and Coaches - Hornby had already sold out, before the models came out, so no need to promote the items and loose a handful of sales, by giving them away as freebies! 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Midland Mole

A finally got my hands on the Power Car pack today so was able to look at them in the flesh and up close. I am very, VERY, impressed by the finish of them and the quality of the livery.

I think these might be the best looking HST Power Cars I have ever seen from Hornby. :)

Alex

Guest Midland Mole

I noticed someone posted this list a few pages back for the coaches in a formation:

1x R4779 TRUB
1x R4780 TGS
2x R4781 TSO
3x R4781A TSO
1x R4815 TF

Is that a correct HST formation for GWR? And if it is, what order would those coaches be in?

The only knowledge of HST sets I have is from the Intercity Swallow era. ;)

Alex

• RMweb Premium

I noticed someone posted this list a few pages back for the coaches in a formation:

1x R4779 TRUB

1x R4780 TGS

2x R4781 TSO

3x R4781A TSO

1x R4815 TF

Is that a correct HST formation for GWR? And if it is, what order would those coaches be in?

The only knowledge of HST sets I have is from the Intercity Swallow era. ;)

Alex

BR-WR through to GWR HST sets have run in many different formations.  Even now there are several different ones based upon low, high or super-high density seating configurations.  

In the BR-IC era a correct formation would have been TGS-4TSO-TRUB-2TFO.  Currently the low-density sets are TGS-5TSO-TRUB-TFO with the others differing and having different window patterns as well following conversion of catering and first class cars to other configurations.

Guest Midland Mole

Thanks for that, so TGS-5TSO-TRUB-TFO would be a reasonable one to go with for the new GWR stock. Good to know. :)

Alex

BR-WR through to GWR HST sets have run in many different formations.  Even now there are several different ones based upon low, high or super-high density seating configurations.  

In the BR-IC era a correct formation would have been TGS-4TSO-TRUB-2TFO.  Currently the low-density sets are TGS-5TSO-TRUB-TFO with the others differing and having different window patterns as well following conversion of catering and first class cars to other configurations.

Tut tut, no 'O' on a HST formation, they are TS and TF.

There is also the TSD with the universal toilet and wheelchair spaces which is currently found as coach C which has a slightly different window arrangement, in fact there are a couple of different window arrangements on those coaches, then there are the mini buffet conversions and composite coaches to add in as well.

All good fun considering the HSTs are classed as 'standard' formations.

Re previous Hornby catalogues !

sorry but can anybody tell what the story is with tourists............. it's just that i'm not from these parts...........just visiting.!!!!!!

Yours Aye 

Giz

Did I mention I'm here with two other associates of mine.........Dave Stewart and Annie Lennox...... they're both Tourists too. :laugh:

Interesting the GWR HST is still in stock across the retailers, seeing as this was a limited edition of only 1000...I am surprised to see dozens in stock. I wonder why it has not sold, perhaps it is the gloss! Perhaps the price. Perhaps GWR is not as popular with modellers as FGW livery was. Very surprised to see this not sold out. I guess it is why they chose to do the livery as a limited edition. Certainly resprays were not in demand on eBay before it was announced. 

Personally, I have not bought it as I have a good selection of FGW HST liveries, and plans to build a fleet of GWR 800/802s. The GWR HST does not fit. I would get a HST GTi if modelled though. I actually would of bought the HST and coaches, if they were not gloss.

Hornby had stopped giving free samples to magazines, although I believe that may have been partially reversed.

With the GWR HST's and Coaches - Hornby had already sold out, before the models came out, so no need to promote the items and loose a handful of sales, by giving them away as freebies! 

It has only been reversed in so far as they now provide samples to Hornby magazine. There's no shortage of new models to review from other manufacturers who recognise that giving away a few pounds worth of models gets them many hundreds of pounds worth of publicity. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

Interesting the GWR HST is still in stock across the retailers, seeing as this was a limited edition of only 1000...

Coaches are becoming a bit more difficult to source. I finally decided to buy the GWR HST set last night having been looking online for a couple of days. I'm always late to the party missing out on the pre-ordering and suffering from last months price rise :(

An impulse buy, as Rails had been offering a bundle of the 5 coaches which caught my eye on Tuesday. When I looked again yesterday, they only had individual coaches, not the 5 pack. They had 2 bundles of 2+5 sets, one being fitted with TTS sound by them. Interestingly, they were cheaper on their website than their eBay page.

Between the 'Big 3' players, some only had TS while others only listed the TRUB & TGS etc so I spent a while last night trying to source the best option. In the event I just went for the Rails bundle of 2+5 and while I could have sourced individual elements cheaper, it was just easier to buy as a job-lot, once I'd factored in various p&p prices if I'd bought from multiple sources.

I've also just ordered 3 additional TS to make up a full rake. These coming from Wonderland Models, a new name for me, based in Edinburgh. The only place I could see offering them for sub £30. As I say, an impulse purchase but I work down in Reading 1 or 2 days a month and quite like seeing these units. Will shamelessly copy a previous poster and add the Welsh Dragon transfers, given that I live in these parts :)

• Like 1

Interesting the GWR HST is still in stock across the retailers, seeing as this was a limited edition of only 1000...I am surprised to see dozens in stock. I wonder why it has not sold, perhaps it is the gloss! Perhaps the price. Perhaps GWR is not as popular with modellers as FGW livery was. Very surprised to see this not sold out. I guess it is why they chose to do the livery as a limited edition. Certainly resprays were not in demand on eBay before it was announced. 

Personally, I have not bought it as I have a good selection of FGW HST liveries, and plans to build a fleet of GWR 800/802s. The GWR HST does not fit. I would get a HST GTi if modelled though. I actually would of bought the HST and coaches, if they were not gloss.

I would have thought it is a combination of the gloss and the price. An RRP of £289.99 is extortionate considering considering last year you could get the Virgin East coast with TTS sound for approximately the same price. I guess there are plenty who, like you, have been put off by the gloss as it won't match the rest of their fleet.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting the GWR HST is still in stock across the retailers, seeing as this was a limited edition of only 1000...I am surprised to see dozens in 

That doesn't sound particularly limited by today's standards...

• RMweb Premium

And while SO is correct for HST trailers the near-identical loco-hauled coaches were TSO.  Familiarity breeding a degree of contempt, perhaps.

The designation TSO when T means "Tourist" is anachronistic anyway.  It was originally an LNER type, which passed into BR use, as I understand the history for a second class coach which had 2+2, as opposed to 2+1 seating.  Some Mk1 and early Mk2 seconds were built with 2+1 in second / standard class though none is now in traffic with any TOC except perhaps the NNR / NYMR operations over NR metals.  T also stands for Trailer when other coaches are motors and once also meant Third so there has long been some cause for understandable confusion.  

And while SO is correct for HST trailers the near-identical loco-hauled coaches were TSO.  Familiarity breeding a degree of contempt, perhaps.

And there was me thinking the HST Standard class coaches were classified as TS for Trailer Standard?

• RMweb Premium

And there was me thinking the HST Standard class coaches were classified as TS for Trailer Standard?

Well I though TS meant 'The Slobs' and TF 'The Fops'. Rather appropriate I thought ;)

My 2 + 5 TTS fitted GWR set arrived from Rails this morning. Lovely looking set and the TTS sounds give it a nice extra dimension.