GWR HST

Revolution Mike B

Hi Philou here again,

Further to my post above, I may have a suitable colour match. It's in the Winsor & Newton 'Galeria' acrylic range called Phthalo Green. The outside of the tube matches (to my eyes) the colour of that of the HST coach near-perfectly. I've started on something small such as the toilet window toplight. Out of the tube the colour doesn't match, but it is only the first coat and the underlying white may not be a suitable base colour. I'll let you know how I get on.

To those wanting to re-number, I tried the chiseled cocktail stick method again and everything was off and newly transferred in under thirty minutes. I have yet to see how the varnish I've just bought works out.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Philou here again,

Reporting back on my colour trial. It's shown up several things:

1. Don't report on things until you've tried them out - saves peoples' eyeball time,

2. It saves typing time and eating humble pie,

3. My hand-painting skills are pants,

4. The colour in artificial light shows up as almost black when looked at at certain angles - though the colour wasn't a bad match when looked at face-on,

5. The colour in daylight is a shade too blue - almost an artificial Christmas tree green - which is disappointing.

I will now try airbrushing on other pre-coloured surfaces first and also try my own mix if needs be - THEN I'll report back.

Cheers,

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For my coach C I've used Phoenix Precision Southern Dark Olive which is an acceptable but not 100% match on the gloss side. On the dull band it needs toning down, possibly with a bit of watered down white. Still need to work on the upper part of the toilet window which is clear on the prototype on one side and painted over on the other. I may removed the window glazing to give me better access to remove the remaining paint and tidy it up.  After that I just need to add the coach C stickers and new number.  Coaches E and F are already done though I made a bit of a booboo with masking off the doors and some of the varnish I used has seeped under and reacted with the silver doors.

post-462-0-34194000-1513084351_thumb.jpg

post-462-0-96205700-1513084356_thumb.jpg

My HST Power Cars have had Precision Labels dragons and GWR logos applied and the whole set is in the process of receiving NEM pockets and Kadee couplings to match my FGW set.

post-462-0-89110600-1513084995_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Philou, yet again, @ Red Fox,

Well, I think your colour match is better than mine and thanks for the additional info regarding the 'clear' toilet window on the coach's 'gloss' side. From the photo to which "royal oak" kindly linked, I thought it was painted in gloss green. My error for not looking twice - so I'll have to take that off and not re-apply it. I like your finish on 'The Welshman' transfers - I have used the Railtec ones. What varnish did you use and perhaps more importantly how did you apply it? I'm a little nervous regarding using a brush as my finish was not to the standard of 40 years ago :(. I have a brand new Iwata air-brush that has never been used for any fine finish work - something else I'll have to master too. BTW, have you matt coated the all-green toilet window? I only ask as I can't tell from the photo.

Good luck with finishing coach 'C' :), and I hope the doors haven't been too badly affected.

Cheers,

Phil

Edited by Philou

@Red Fox,

Hi Philou again,

You may want to look at these You Tube videos that I chanced upon regarding the blanked off windows in the TSD coach 'C'.

You are right that the 'glossy' side toilet toplight is clear - but that seems to have been in 2015/16. In 2017, within 'The Welshman' formation, the toplight is blanked off - not in green as I had first thought but an off-white colour - the same as that shown in 'royaloak''s photo above - as indeed all the toplights in the particular video dated the 02/02/2017 seem to show. Of course it may be that other changes have occured to the toilet window between then and now.

I'm going for the date of mid-November for my stock numbers as shown on the Abrail site and (unless I can find a similar off-white colour to that shown in the video) I shall keep the white of the existing stock as provided by Hornby. The good news for me was I was able to peel off the green acrylic without damaging the existing white paint below using a chisel ended cocktail stick.

Anyway, here are the links to the videos if they are of use to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqIG_c8kppk        dated 9/12/15 (about 1:00 in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhLpE5Z389M     dated 6/02/16 (about 0:30 in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9MCAY6z4PI      dated 2/02/17 (about 0:48 in).

Cheers,

Phil

• RMweb Gold

@Red Fox,

Hi Philou again,

You may want to look at these You Tube videos that I chanced upon regarding the blanked off windows in the TSD coach 'C'.

You are right that the 'glossy' side toilet toplight is clear - but that seems to have been in 2015/16. In 2017, within 'The Welshman' formation, the toplight is blanked off - not in green as I had first thought but an off-white colour - the same as that shown in 'royaloak''s photo above - as indeed all the toplights in the particular video dated the 02/02/2017 seem to show. Of course it may be that other changes have occured to the toilet window between then and now.

I'm going for the date of mid-November for my stock numbers as shown on the Abrail site and (unless I can find a similar off-white colour to that shown in the video) I shall keep the white of the existing stock as provided by Hornby. The good news for me was I was able to peel off the green acrylic without damaging the existing white paint below using a chisel ended cocktail stick.

Anyway, here are the links to the videos if they are of use to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqIG_c8kppk        dated 9/12/15 (about 1:00 in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhLpE5Z389M     dated 6/02/16 (about 0:30 in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9MCAY6z4PI      dated 2/02/17 (about 0:48 in).

Cheers,

Phil

Thanks for the info, I can see in that last video 42299 had an off white top light put back in.  I've had a look on Youtube and various videos from later this year show a coach C with clear top light but the number of the coach is not distinguishable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG3jhjmmovw but in this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGe0IQC4sG0 the set has the GWR green seats so should be set LA15 which means 42299 has regained its clear top light (I understand the other GWR green set LA16 which has 42220 as coach C still has a FGW Blue interior).

Hi Philou, yet again, @ Red Fox,

Well, I think your colour match is better than mine and thanks for the additional info regarding the 'clear' toilet window on the coach's 'gloss' side. From the photo to which "royal oak" kindly linked, I thought it was painted in gloss green. My error for not looking twice - so I'll have to take that off and not re-apply it. I like your finish on 'The Welshman' transfers - I have used the Railtec ones. What varnish did you use and perhaps more importantly how did you apply it? I'm a little nervous regarding using a brush as my finish was not to the standard of 40 years ago :(. I have a brand new Iwata air-brush that has never been used for any fine finish work - something else I'll have to master too. BTW, have you matt coated the all-green toilet window? I only ask as I can't tell from the photo.

Good luck with finishing coach 'C' :), and I hope the doors haven't been too badly affected.

Cheers,

Phil

The varnish I used was just Humbrol Gloss Varnish from a spray can.  I haven't matt coated the blocked off part of the window in the matt stripe yet but the all-green window is as applied and unvarnished Olive Green on the top and unvarnished Hornby Green at the bottom.

I have an airbrush that will be put to work on some FGW unit resprays soon but I haven't airbrushed varnish before.

@Red Fox

Thanks for the additional info regarding whether the window is blank or otherwise - the matter seems to be more and more complex. However, as the number of the coach was not visible so no way of confirming one or the other, did you notice that the formation in the latter video was not being pulled by 'The Welshman' power units and that the blanked off part of the seating area window was not straight cut but rounded-off? It looks as if it's a new purpose-made glazed insert. Could this be formation LA16 that according to Abrail (mid-November 2017) is also finished in green? My head is beginning to hurt =:O . ............. and I haven't started any varnishing yet. Thanks too for your info regarding what you did regarding the varnish.

Cheers,

Phil

• 2 months later...

For my coach C I've used Phoenix Precision Southern Dark Olive which is an acceptable but not 100% match on the gloss side. On the dull band it needs toning down, possibly with a bit of watered down white. Still need to work on the upper part of the toilet window which is clear on the prototype on one side and painted over on the other. I may removed the window glazing to give me better access to remove the remaining paint and tidy it up. After that I just need to add the coach C stickers and new number. Coaches E and F are already done though I made a bit of a booboo with masking off the doors and some of the varnish I used has seeped under and reacted with the silver doors.

gwr.jpg

gwr2.jpg

My HST Power Cars have had Precision Labels dragons and GWR logos applied and the whole set is in the process of receiving NEM pockets and Kadee couplings to match my FGW set.

gwr3.jpg

Hi RedFox.

Any updates on the modification to this set. Had a look for anything you might have posted on works on the FGW set as well. Couldn't find anything, did you do updates on this.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi RedFox.

Any updates on the modification to this set. Had a look for anything you might have posted on works on the FGW set as well. Couldn't find anything, did you do updates on this.

Cheers

Christmas, New Year, work and ill health got in the way of doing much work on my various projects though funnily enough I restarted work on coach C yesterday. I'm in the process of tidying up the moulding for the now clear former toilet window. I used T-Cut to remove the paint and some of it had lingered between the body and window glazing giving the window a bit of a halo effect. That's all been cleaned up now and will be refitted shortly.  I seemed to have temporarily mislaid the coach C transfers but once I relocate them they will be applied and the coach varnished and receive its new couplings.

My FGW Neon HST is a full formation weathered by Road and Rails a few years ago. It has Symoba NEM pockets and Kadee couplings, same as being fitted to the gWr set, and will soon be getting etched disk brakes. I currently don't have an operational layout but I'll try and get some pics of the HST's

• Like 1

Hi Red Fox and

Christmas, New Year, work and ill health got in the way of doing much work on my various projects though funnily enough I restarted work on coach C yesterday. I'm in the process of tidying up the moulding for the now clear former toilet window. I used T-Cut to remove the paint and some of it had lingered between the body and window glazing giving the window a bit of a halo effect. That's all been cleaned up now and will be refitted shortly.  I seemed to have temporarily mislaid the coach C transfers but once I relocate them they will be applied and the coach varnished and receive its new couplings.

My FGW Neon HST is a full formation weathered by Road and Rails a few years ago. It has Symoba NEM pockets and Kadee couplings, same as being fitted to the gWr set, and will soon be getting etched disk brakes. I currently don't have an operational layout but I'll try and get some pics of the HST

Hi Red Fox,

Sorry to hear you've been unwell.  Have been back through the thread again and can see what you mean. Looking to turn one of my blue coaches into the micro buffet car, given the prices the others attract.  Have just ordered the transfers for the green set from Rail-Tec as well, so will begin the process of renumbering in due course, although two of the coaches have recently lost windows (bizarre really).  will need to open up and re-glue, Hornby have struggle with QC on these I think, that is the 2nd one from 6 that has struggled!

Would be good to see how you have gone about upgrading your couplings, but appreciate that time can be a constraint.

Cheers

Out of interest, where did your brake discs come from?

• RMweb Gold

Coach C has just received its coat of gloss varnish to protect the new transfers. Luckily I managed to locate the transfer pack after carefully putting them somewhere safe and then forgetting where that somewhere was!

Fun fact for TSD 42299 which is coach C in set LA15 - the coach C signs are only accompanied by a wheelchair logo at one door as seen here https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bristol_Temple_Meads_-_GWR_Mk3_42299.JPG  The rest of doors just have a 'C'.  It seems that the wheelchair logo was on the other door on the side shown in the picture when the set first returned to service in gWr livery but it was removed pretty quickly, I've found no pictures or video showing the logo being present on the other side at either door.

Also it appears one of the toilet windows on TS 42579 coach E is a single piece of glazing not split like the rest, I may add that to my model in the future.

Have just ordered the transfers for the green set from Rail-Tec as well, so will begin the process of renumbering in due course, although two of the coaches have recently lost windows (bizarre really).  will need to open up and re-glue, Hornby have struggle with QC on these I think, that is the 2nd one from 6 that has struggled!

I wish the window on my coach C had come out so easily!  Whenever I have tried to remove Hornby glazing recently I've found they have used super strong glue, I tried removing the windows on a VEP but they wouldn't budge without taking part of the frame with them. I did see a tip that putting the bodyshell in a freezer over night loosens the grip of the glue.

QC is definitely an issue, that's why we have 2+1 red interiors in the standard class coaches (except the TGS).

Would be good to see how you have gone about upgrading your couplings, but appreciate that time can be a constraint.

Can I ask which couplings you use on the power cars and coaches in order to get the best spacing and also, do the kadee couplers level up when the power cars and coaches are coupled up.

I'm using Kadee 18's.  The method I used for installing the Symoba sliders on the HST power cars and mk3's is described in a post on my old layout thread click here

The NEM pocket can be moved up and down the pin of the slider so you can have it at any height you want.  With Kadee 18 the rake can still go round a Hornby r3 curve, 17's would probably look better though.

Out of interest, where did your brake discs come from?

They are on their way from Stenson Models which I believe sell the old Colin Craig range of parts.

Edited by Red Fox
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Coach C has had all its transfers added and the window blank in the matt stripe dulled down

post-462-0-88241500-1519479092_thumb.jpg

I dry brushed some matt white on to the window blank and further rubbed it down with a dry cotton bud until it looked right. In most lights and that picture it looks pretty much spot on but from certain angles you tell its not quite right.

My FGW set is half way through receiving brake disks and I think they really do add to the look of the bogies, gWr set will have them installed after weathering.

post-462-0-61399200-1519479099_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Coach C has had all its transfers added and the window blank in the matt stripe dulled down

attachicon.gifgwr4.jpg

I dry brushed some matt white on to the window blank and further rubbed it down with a dry cotton bud until it looked right. In most lights and that picture it looks pretty much spot on but from certain angles you tell its not quite right.

My FGW set is half way through receiving brake disks and I think they really do add to the look of the bogies, gWr set will have them installed after weathering.

attachicon.giffgw.jpg

Thanks for the update. Excellent work to date and agree that the brake discs really bring the model to life.  Will look into acquiring some for the couple of rakes that I have.  Have brought the numbers for reclassifying the releases, so that along with renumbering a power car to OOC is on the cards next, especially now I am getting boards into place.

Agree re the red interiors, totally bizarre decision and I bet it was all they had available and because of the tinted windows. 

Keep excellent updates coming Cheers.

I seemed to have overlooked this thread for a while as I started a layout thread and sort of got involved in that. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do regarding the toilet window colour! I like the discs on the wheels - looks like I shall order some too.

I've put off doing too much regarding varnishing and the colouring of the blank window as I want to take the coaches apart and put lighting in and the BILs (orange door open lights as I used to call them) at the passenger access doors. John Gymer of YouChoos is your man if you want to do the same. He can also provide the 'beep beep beep' sound if you require - if you're putting in a sound chip. I shall place an order for all the gubbins at the end of the month - I'll let you know how I get on - then I shall get round to sorting out the colour match and varnish :O  .

Cheers,

Philip

Edit: Got John's name wrong -sorry!

Edited by Philou

• RMweb Gold

I've added brake discs to mine, along with the emergency steps that Hornby seemed to forget about! As far as the couplings go, Roger from Keen sells dummy knuckle couplers which I've adapted to fit in to the original coupling socket. These pull the coaches together but will still go round a 30 inch radius curve without any issues......and the biggest advantage is that the train remains fairly rigid when being pushed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

43093 looks very nice. How did you get the numbers off? I looked at mine when I first bought it and it looks like they are on top of the Gloss Varnish?

Thanks,

C.

They seem to be. Got them off very carefully with a cocktail stick. In certain lights you can see a very slight shadow / outline in the gloss but you need to be looking for it. I also took off the gWr in the same way as it showed slightly

through the transfer when I first tried. Taking the gWr off was much harder and looked far messier but the new transfers covered the imperfections I left in the gloss perfectly.

Hope that helps

They seem to be. Got them off very carefully with a cocktail stick. In certain lights you can see a very slight shadow / outline in the gloss but you need to be looking for it. I also took off the gWr in the same way as it showed slightly

through the transfer when I first tried. Taking the gWr off was much harder and looked far messier but the new transfers covered the imperfections I left in the gloss perfectly.

Hope that helps

Thanks.

Regards,

C