GWR HST

Revolution Mike B

I have just received a set of all five coaches from Model Railways Direct in Portishead. They are all located correctly in the Ice blocks in the boxes and having removed each coach from the packaging, they all look good, no missing gloss on mine.

My only complaint is that they still come fitted with large tension lock couplings. If Hornby can't fit NEM pockets I wish they would at least fit them with the small tension lock couplings as they do on most Locos. 

• RMweb Premium

Mine too. And gloss only on one side. Its going back......

I'd keep it. It sounds like it could be a one-off (or almost) if only one bodyside was printed correctly and could be worth a fortune as a collector's item in the future.

Hi Miles73128,

Just wondering which coach of yours only had gloss on one side? I have now checked all mine and they are all glossed up and in in the boxes correctly. I was going to wait on my power cars arriving but, that could be days away depending on what's going on at Hattons....

Regards & thanks

Roy

edit: up date to; checked coaches, from going to check them

1st R4815.

I have just received a set of all five coaches from Model Railways Direct in Portishead. They are all located correctly in the Ice blocks in the boxes and having removed each coach from the packaging, they all look good, no missing gloss on mine.

My only complaint is that they still come fitted with large tension lock couplings. If Hornby can't fit NEM pockets I wish they would at least fit them with the small tension lock couplings as they do on most Locos.

I know it's additional cost but I switch them for these;-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R8099-Coupling-Assembly-Pack-of-10-/391277654772?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Noticed a few shops don't seem to have received stock of the MK3 TF (R4815). My local model shop certainly hasn't and only a couple of retailers seem to have stock from what I could find. Could there have been fewer of them made?

P.s. Hornby have some powers car packs up for sale on its website. Returns maybe?

Received my full rake now and no problems. Have removed numbers and coach letters from 3 x TSO vehicles and will be applying new numbers and letters this weekend all being well.

Decals are from John Peck at Precision labels and I have also added corridor connections from Modellers Mecca.

Really pleased with the whole rake and definitely no regrets regarding application of “The Welshman” decals to PC 43188.

John

• Like 2

They’ll all end up green eventually, their current colour seems a bit moot.

Surely not? They are all being replaced by 800/802s. Some sets are being being retained and reduced to 5 car sets, the remainder are going elsewhere so will never be painted green.

• RMweb Gold

Collected my power cars from Coastal DCC at the Folkestone MRC Show yesterday after they had each been fitted with a sound decoder and was able to add them to the rake of green coaches which had been waiting patiently for the arrival of the power cars. Hearing the sounds emanating from each end of the unit is awesome.

Must say that I'm most impressed by the "gloss" finish of the complete unit. Think it looks great.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Collected my power cars from Coastal DCC at the Folkestone MRC Show yesterday after they had each been fitted with a sound decoder and was able to add them to the rake of green coaches which had been waiting patiently for the arrival of the power cars. Hearing the sounds emanating from each end of the unit is awesome.

Must say that I'm most impressed by the "gloss" finish of the complete unit. Think it looks great.

Keith

I had a chance to see the power cars in the flesh recently.

I think what puts me off a gloss finish is that what it reflects can be wrong - real power cars aren't viewed from inside a huge display case with giants walking round.

The gloss itself looked nice, but was spoiled for me by the reflections.

Might be better actually on a layout, depending on where it is I suppose.

I've been asked by a few people to make a simple renumber / re-letter pack for various gWr stock, so without further ado here it is. These are of course spot-printed so have no superfluous unsightly carrier to worry about, and are compatible with enamels as well as acrylics. The pack contains both HST sets LA15 and LA16, with additional vehicles 41145 and 42299, as well as numbers / letters for the day-time and sleeper stock.

Pack 4mm-2478

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3047

2478-1.jpg

Still some sets running with 2. They’ll all end up green eventually, their current colour seems a bit moot.

In the last 4 months I have only seen one rake with 2 First class coaches and that was only because the Composite had been removed for repair and there was only a TF available to replace it, no rakes are booked to routinely have 2 First class carriages, it is Either one TF and a Buffet coach giving one and a half coaches of First or they have one TF and a Composite (and a micro Buffet) also giving one and a half First class carriages.

No more full rakes will be reliveried into Green, the rakes overhauled after LA15 and LA16 have returned in plain blue and have had the Dynamic lines added at Laira, only the 2+4 sets will receive green when the doors are modified.

Anyone else had a look at the interior of the standard class coaches?  All of mine have the first class layout moulded in red plastic.

My standard class TSO (R4781A) is also moulded in red plastic.

Also anyone know why are there no reviews of the HST or mk3s in the latest editions of the well known model railway mags?

• RMweb Premium

Also anyone know why are there no reviews of the HST or mk3s in the latest editions of the well known model railway mags?

Hornby Magazine has the Power Cars reviewed in the latest issue.

• RMweb Gold

My problems not that they are moulded in red, though that was an odd colour choice, it's that the interior is for a TF with 2+1 seating. Luckily the heavily tinted windows hide the mistake and the colour.   The TGS, Buffet and TF interiors have the correct moulding, the TF in a more appropriate grey colour.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good colour match for Hornby gWr green, I'd like to model a TSD coach (coach C) which has the toilet window and half a large window painted over.

• RMweb Premium

Whoops Hornby. QC issues strike again. Avoidable errors now reported by several of our number of which some might be easier to fix or live with than others. And there really is no excuse for the continued use of train-set couplers. They are easily swapped but at additional cost. Personally I would be tempted to use the Roco-style which Hornby supply with (among others) their push-pull sets.

• RMweb Premium

@Gwiwer

Can you supply a part number for the Roco style coupling you suggest? The only one I've seen has a NEM fixing and the Mk3s don't have NEM pockets

A little modelling is required to fix suitable pockets to the Mk3 coaches.

Whoops Hornby. QC issues strike again. Avoidable errors now reported by several of our number of which some might be easier to fix or live with than others. And there really is no excuse for the continued use of train-set couplers. They are easily swapped but at additional cost. Personally I would be tempted to use the Roco-style which Hornby supply with (among others) their push-pull sets.

After recent Hornby mistakes surely the important question is, does the Buffet have vents on the roof?

Edited by royaloak

In the last 4 months I have only seen one rake with 2 First class coaches and that was only because the Composite had been removed for repair and there was only a TF available to replace it, no rakes are booked to routinely have 2 First class carriages, it is Either one TF and a Buffet coach giving one and a half coaches of First or they have one TF and a Composite (and a micro Buffet) also giving one and a half First class carriages.

No more full rakes will be reliveried into Green, the rakes overhauled after LA15 and LA16 have returned in plain blue and have had the Dynamic lines added at Laira, only the 2+4 sets will receive green when the doors are modified.

Theres a set of Mk3 coaches at RVEL Derby being painted - slowly....

Regards,