GWR HST

Revolution Mike B

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived today from Hornby - easy to remove the buffers on the Trailer Standards and the Buffet, but had to cut them off of the TGS (reflects the Lima heritage of the tooling for that particular coach, I presume).  I know that the tooling is all a bit dated, but they look very good to me (I don't want lit interiors).  It's now clear (if it wasn't before) why the power cars had to be gloss - not sure how else Hornby would have recreated the matt livery detail at one end of each coach.  I'll have to try to work out how to close couple them though. 

Just waiting for the belatedly announced First to arrive - that one has to come via Cornwall...

One for the magnifying glass brigade - I've only checked on Trailer Standard No 42351, but what's wrong with the coach designation letter printing (D in this case) - you'll have to check both ends :O

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
  • Like 3

Good morning everyone

My GWR power cars arrived and absolutely delighted with them and top marks to Hornby for the extra GWR profiled stick-ons!

As mentioned in my previous post, decided to swap shells over on the chassis so that 43188 is the powered unit.  This is because I have now added "The Welshman" decals from Railtec and they are fantastic.

I have attached a photograph to show the new look power car.  please feel free to comment.

John

post-6270-0-84937800-1506753771_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Good morning everyone

My GWR power cars arrived and absolutely delighted with them and top marks to Hornby for the extra GWR profiled stick-ons!

As mentioned in my previous post, decided to swap shells over on the chassis so that 43188 is the powered unit.  This is because I have now added "The Welshman" decals from Railtec and they are fantastic.

I have attached a photograph to show the new look power car.  please feel free to comment.

John

Whatever may be said about the livery, it is rather subdued. That lifts it quite spectacularly. Very nice indeed. No fault of Railtec, of course, but should the dragon not be red? Was the white dragon in Merlin’s dream not Anglo-Saxon?

Good morning everyone

As mentioned in my previous post, decided to swap shells over on the chassis so that 43188 is the powered unit. This is because I have now added "The Welshman" decals from Railtec and they are fantastic.

I have attached a photograph to show the new look power car. please feel free to comment.

John

attachicon.gif43188 The Welshman.JPG

Excellent job we're the transfers easy enough to fit ?

Have you sealed them ?

I believe both power cars carry them now ?

Edited by martin_l_jones

Hi Martin

The decals went on a dream and Railtec do not have massive carrier areas so looks great straight away.

I have not sealed yet and pondering whether to blow over with a gloss coat or just seal with Johnsons Klear.

Any advice would be most welcome.

John

Hi Martin

The decals went on a dream and Railtec do not have massive carrier areas so looks great straight away.

I have not sealed yet and pondering whether to blow over with a gloss coat or just seal with Johnsons Klear.

Any advice would be most welcome.

John

Hi John, just ordered them, I've asked Steve at Railtec what he recommends...

Hi Martin

Sealed with Johnsons Klear but was not 100% happy. Once dried out I very carefully brushed over the area with Railmatch gloss varnish that was thinned down to airbrush constituency and, so far, it looks good!

Regards

John

Does anyone know if there is a way to prop open the driver doors on the powers cars as I feel like it is a missed opportunity? Hornby sprung the doors so they can open but immediately spring shut. I think it would be cool if they could be open say when waiting at a station platform or TMD and make it look like there is a driver changeover or something.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if there is a way to prop open the driver doors on the powers cars as I feel like it is a missed opportunity? Hornby sprung the doors so they can open but immediately spring shut. I think it would be cool if they could be open say when waiting at a station platform or TMD and make it look like there is a driver changeover or something.

Well, if you can take the spring out, that should work.  Alternatively you could wedge it open with something very thin, possibly painting it grey, so its a false floor.  If yours is a depot layout, you could even perhaps have a shunter standing in the doorway to disguise it.

Regards,

C.

Hi everyone. I'm in the final stages of completing a rake of Mk 3 coaches. Can someone please confirm if these are the correct coaches to get, in order to form a full rake of 8 for my GWR HST:

1x R4779 TRUB

1x R4780 TGS

2x R4781 TSO

3x R4781A TSO

1x R4815 T

Thanks.

Edited by hamish_barb
  • Like 1

Thanks John.

What is LA15? And will Hornby be releasing other MK 3 GWR coaches?

LA15 was the first rake to be painted green to run with 43187 and 43188, the rake does tend to stay together and only runs with a blue coach when one of its own coaches is removed for repair, but the power cars are now 'common user' and spend most of their time on blue rakes.

LA16 is the other set painted green but retains a blue interior as the grey interior fitted to LA15 was found to soil quite quickly.

A full green set does look rather good.

Edited by royaloak

Well, my first coach arrived today, not happy the way it's been packaged, it appears as though the plastic formed tray is not long enough for the coach roof and one end is forced into the lower part of the tray....

However, doesn't appear to be damaged thank fully...

Cant believe its been sent out like that tho'

post-732-0-00879000-1506964380_thumb.jpg

Edited by martin_l_jones

Well, my first coach arrived today, not happy the way it's been packaged, it appears as though the plastic formed tray is not long enough for the coach roof and one end is forced into the lower part of the tray....

However, doesn't appear to be damaged thank fully...

Cant believe its been sent out like that tho'

My Trailer First was the same when it arrived.

Mine too. And gloss only on one side. Its going back......

Hi Miles73128,

Just wondering which coach of yours only had gloss on one side? I have now checked all mine and they are all glossed up and in in the boxes correctly. I was going to wait on my power cars arriving but, that could be days away depending on what's going on at Hattons....

Regards & thanks

Roy

edit: up date to; checked coaches, from going to check them

Edited by MrB