Bachmann Rep Limited Editions

WILLIAM

Hi,

We have some left. The DRS 47 is £154.95p, which is the RRP. We were asked to stick to this so everyone was charging the same price. This was to encourage the smaller shops to take them on and not have to compete with the larger retailers. Postage at cost.

How do I go about ordering one if to put have any left? I am not local so collection is impossible! Many thanks

If anyone is still looking for the DRS 47 at a good price, at the Stafford Model Railway Exhibition today Grimy Times had 5 or so left (as of mid afternoon) priced at £145 each. Managed to resist myself mainly due to an extremely nice Pete Waterman Hornby Black 5 which took up the allocated funds..

On another note though the Anglia 47 is absolutely stunning. My first purchase of an Anglia liveried item, reckon I may have to find some rolling stock to go with it now and then maybe an 86...or two...

On another note though the Anglia 47 is absolutely stunning. My first purchase of an Anglia liveried item, reckon I may have to find some rolling stock to go with it now and then maybe an 86...or two...

I hesitated on this one and now cannot find it available online. Does anyone know of any retailers that still have any? Thanks.

Ignore me. Found it at Trains 4U.

Edited by WILLIAM

If anyone is still looking for the DRS 47 at a good price, at the Stafford Model Railway Exhibition today Grimy Times had 5 or so left (as of mid afternoon) priced at £145 each. Managed to resist myself mainly due to an extremely nice Pete Waterman Hornby Black 5 which took up the allocated funds..

Get the Hornby Hitachi IEP Class 800 DPTS & DPTF Test Train Power Units and have the Anglia 47 shunt them around your layout, just a thought.

• Like 1

R JONES   DRS Class  47  Arcadia  Rail   SHAW  Oldham  01706 882900 .............   Tim   has  just  a  few  remaining  £136.00  

If  interested  please  telephone ( not eMail)

Closed all day on Tuesdays

• Like 1

Good to see that Tim, has only a few remaining of these Rep DRS Specials, by undercutting everyone including Hattons, despite the agreement to all sell at the same price.

This would explain the call I had on Saturday asking to price match Arcadia and he would buy everyone we still had. I told the caller to buy everything that Arcadia had in that case.

This is the first and only time I am aware of that there has been an agreement by anyone to give the smaller retailers an opportunity to sell at the same price as everyone. Presumably Arcadia customers can look forward to Tim undercutting Hattons, Rails et al in future.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

I am considering buying x2 47805 models, with the second to renumber to 47818. I am just wondering do you the nameplates on 47805 come fitted? Are they decals/transfers or are they etched? Has anyone got any experience in removing either/both of these types of nameplates? Is it possible if you plan on renumbering to another loco?

Thank you very much in advance. 

• Like 1

Hi all, 

I am considering buying x2 47805 models, with the second to renumber to 47818. I am just wondering do you the nameplates on 47805 come fitted? Are they decals/transfers or are they etched? Has anyone got any experience in removing either/both of these types of nameplates? Is it possible if you plan on renumbering to another loco?

They are etched nameplates supplied in a separate bag thus they are not fitted so you should be fine to renumber.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

They are etched nameplates supplied in a separate bag thus they are not fitted so you should be fine to renumber.

Thank you very much for the reply and for letting me know. It's very much appreciated. 

Now just to choose with which retailer I would like to buy them from. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Good to see that Tim, has only a few remaining of these Rep DRS Specials, by undercutting everyone including Hattons, despite the agreement to all sell at the same price.

This would explain the call I had on Saturday asking to price match Arcadia and he would buy everyone we still had. I told the caller to buy everything that Arcadia had in that case.

This is the first and only time I am aware of that there has been an agreement by anyone to give the smaller retailers an opportunity to sell at the same price as everyone. Presumably Arcadia customers can look forward to Tim undercutting Hattons, Rails et al in future.

Pretty sure Arcadia counts as a small model shop, have you been inside with more than 3 or 4 other folk? I very much doubt Tim has done it intentionally, he normally retails stuff at very close to the online prices of Hattons & Rails and certainly not at RRP. He maybe just applied his normal price adjustment without thinking about it.

If you all had fixed allocations and only a handful of units, it’s not like he has made a killing or stolen trade from others as once his few are gone, he won’t get anymore

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, 

Contrary to what classy 52 says above have a look at the pics one page back, I’d say those plates are printed on (as well as the etched ones supplied)

Thank you very much for the reply and for letting me know. It's very much appreciated.

Now just to choose with which retailer I would like to buy them from.

Thanks again.

Hi DRS,

The nameplates are printed but a cocktail stick rubbed gently over Bachmann printed details will remove them cleanly so you can renumber/name models. I use to use humbrol thinners and a cotton bud until I was shown this tip. Colin & Mike at Rainbow Railways will have the number sets and probably nameplates available if you emai or call.

If you are on the look out for the model give Crafty Hobbies a call in Barrow and see if they have any left.

Thanks

Mark

Pretty sure Arcadia counts as a small model shop, have you been inside with more than 3 or 4 other folk? I very much doubt Tim has done it intentionally, he normally retails stuff at very close to the online prices of Hattons & Rails and certainly not at RRP. He maybe just applied his normal price adjustment without thinking about it.

If you all had fixed allocations and only a handful of units, it’s not like he has made a killing or stolen trade from others as once his few are gone, he won’t get anymore

The caller to our shop told me that he was buying eight from Arcadia but the owner wouldn't sell him any more than that, as he wanted to keep the rest for his customers. They had been on sale for a week before that.

As I said previously, the agreement and I was sat at the same table as the MD of Hattons, when these were first announced, was that we would all sell them at the same price. If Tim "forgot" or "didn't realise", how would he have felt if say Hattons had discounted them and gone against the agreement?

We didn't order as many as Arcadia clearly did, we thought that ordering many more would possibly leave other shops without any and as we were present when they were annouced that would be would be unfair. We were actually the very first shop to order these. Hattons were next and they could easily have bought the rest. They didn't as they also thought about the other shops in the area. There were 512 for all the shops in the North and Scotland. That number doesn't go far for what was clearly a great pick of loco and livery by the Bachmann rep.  We, in my opinion acted fairly and I applaud Hattons for agreeing to it there and then. They didn't have to agree. Neither did Arcadia, if indeed Tim did agree. It was what can only be described as "a gentlemans agreement".  If he was discounting for his regular customers, it would be understandable, but it was reported on here and it was I am told also on Arcadia's website.

I am not speaking just for our shop but this has left a sour taste in a few other shops mouths.

Doubt it will ever happen again.

Contrary to what classy 52 says above have a look at the pics one page back, I’d say those plates are printed on (as well as the etched ones supplied)

Ok I left that bit out but figured DRS Crewe already knew they would be printed on as well which is pretty much the norm with these named Ltd. Edition loco's thus only mentioned the etched plates...my bad.

I presume the person buying eight of them (and wanted more) is yet another Ebay Carpetbagger?

Probably the same eBayer selling those 6x Class 47 Anglia's for £214.99 each plus delivery...the cheek :nono:

This is funny actually;

This is DCC READY

Not DCC SOUND - love that bit just so you know :jester:

Edited by classy52

The caller to our shop told me that he was buying eight from Arcadia but the owner wouldn't sell him any more than that, as he wanted to keep the rest for his customers. They had been on sale for a week before that.

As I said previously, the agreement and I was sat at the same table as the MD of Hattons, when these were first announced, was that we would all sell them at the same price. If Tim "forgot" or "didn't realise", how would he have felt if say Hattons had discounted them and gone against the agreement?

We didn't order as many as Arcadia clearly did, we thought that ordering many more would possibly leave other shops without any and as we were present when they were annouced that would be would be unfair. We were actually the very first shop to order these. Hattons were next and they could easily have bought the rest. They didn't as they also thought about the other shops in the area. There were 512 for all the shops in the North and Scotland. That number doesn't go far for what was clearly a great pick of loco and livery by the Bachmann rep.  We, in my opinion acted fairly and I applaud Hattons for agreeing to it there and then. They didn't have to agree. Neither did Arcadia, if indeed Tim did agree. It was what can only be described as "a gentlemans agreement".  If he was discounting for his regular customers, it would be understandable, but it was reported on here and it was I am told also on Arcadia's website.

I am not speaking just for our shop but this has left a sour taste in a few other shops mouths.

Doubt it will ever happen again.

Isn't that price fixing?

Prices agreed with your competitors at a meeting for this particular product?

As a consumer I applaud Arcadia for setting their lower price on this model and for not towing the party line so to speak which I'm sure a few people on here would take a very dim view on what you have stated let alone those who govern the policies around this type of anti-competitive behaviour.

Also you said "Doubt it will ever happen again.", but I received an email for the Class 47 Anglia for a price of £131 and have pre-ordered the Colas 47 Rebecca for £135 so what happens now?

Do you send out the goon squad to track down these retailers and force them to sell at RRP or the agreed price?

It seems to me there may be a few retailers who don't actually agree to fixing prices with their competitors on certain products and just rather be competitive thus how does it leave a sour taste when all of you will most probably sell all your stock at nearly £20 per unit more than Arcadia which to me it seems they are losing out rather than yourselves and you still make your money off the RRP on a very popular product.

I really don't see any issue with Arcadia or anyone else selling below the RRP or 'the agreed price' but what I don't want to see is the like's of the big boys forming some sort of cartel and blackballing other retailers by the way of underhand tactics if they don't price fix in the future or go against these shady pricing agreements.

It would be interesting to see other members point of view on this.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 3

Isn't that price fixing?

As a consumer I applaud Arcadia for setting their lower price on this model and for not towing the party line so to speak which I'm sure a few people on here would take a very dim view on what you have stated let alone those who govern the policies around this type of anti-competitive behaviour.

Also you said "Doubt it will ever happen again.", but I received an email for the Class 47 Anglia for a price of £131 and have pre-ordered the Colas 47 Rebecca for £135 so what happens now?

Do you send out the goon squad to track down these retailers and force them to sell at RRP or the agreed price?

It seems to me there may be a few retailers who don't actually agree to fixing prices with their competitors on certain products and just rather be competitive thus how does it leave a sour taste when all of you will most probably sell all your stock at nearly £20 per unit more than Arcadia which to me it seems they are losing out rather than yourselves and you still make your money off the RRP on a very popular product.

I really don't see any issue with Arcadia or anyone else selling below the RRP or 'the agreed price' but what I don't want to see is the like's of the big boys like Hattons forming some sort of cartel and blackballing other retailers by the way of underhand tactics if they don't price fix in the future or go against these shady pricing agreements.

Maybe if they had an agreement with Bachmann, who were apparently trying to do the smaller shops a favour, then the shops that went against that agreement won't get any more "deals" from Bachmann. Thereby shooting themselves in the foot in the long term.

Just a thought.

Jason

I believe Bachmann told the retailers to sell these at full RRP so that no one shop undercut the rest.

If a retailer has gone against this deliberately, maybe Bachmann should punish them.

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

selling multiple items to one individual probably isn’t going to go down well with many especially as they will most likely be hiked in price to the 200 mark and resold.

That said if an individual retail shop sets its own price against the RRP and that requested of the manufacturer surely that is for them and Bachmann, in this case, to discuss, should either feel it necessary??

Should the gentlemen’s agreement no longer be sufficient then the manufacturer/supplier should explore other avenues available to them, what ever they may be?

• RMweb Gold

Ok I left that bit out but figured DRS Crewe already knew they would be printed on as well which is pretty much the norm with these named Ltd. Edition loco's thus only mentioned the etched plates...my bad.

No probs, just didn’t want him buying them then discovering they were printed on (although once you see a pic it’s pretty obvious)

Isn't that price fixing?

I really don't see any issue with Arcadia or anyone else selling below the RRP or 'the agreed price' but what I don't want to see is the like's of the big boys like Hattons forming some sort of cartel and blackballing other retailers by the way of underhand tactics if they don't price fix in the future or go against these shady pricing agreements.

Article 101(2) of the Treaty of Rome covers this and is very well summed up by simply searching Google. Article 101(3) establishes exemptions, if the collusion is for distributional or technological innovation, gives consumers a "fair share" of the benefit and does not include unreasonable restraints that risk eliminating competition. My view at the time and still is, this would give small shops like Arcadia and ourselves a  fair chance against others.

This was not a meeting convened to discuss this one loco, simply the launch of Bachmann products in January 2017. There were lots of other products launched that day and no discussion of any other prices. It wasn't even a discussion it was a nod of the head. If we had all decided to sell at £200 plus then that would have been disgraceful.

What happened in other Rep areas, I have no idea although I did read on this forum of a shop, not within our area being questioned as to why they were advertising a lower price compared to others in their area. When I say "doubt it will happen again". Meaning why agree to sell one loco at a given price, when there is always someone who will seek an advantage. You didn't say if you bought the Anglia, someone bought six also discussed on this page.

I will stand up for Hatton's, your shggesting that Hatton's were forming some sort of cartel and blackballing others is so wide of the mark as to be off the side of this page. It wasn't their suggestion. As I presume you were not at the lauch you are writing  something that the last time I checked was illegal, it's called Libel.

Not in sequence to your questions, however, you suggest that Arcadia may be the ones to lose out, why? They made the decision to charge what they want, that is their perogative. If they make £20 less per unit, that is their decision. Selling eight to one customer is also their decision, as others have suggested, did they think it was a very large collector....?  When I refused it was because I knew they would end up on Ebay, or did you think he was an avid collector who wanted a large rake of class 47's? I asked this caller where he was off to next and he said he was heading down the M6. Wonder if he was going to Stafford Exhibition to purchase even more?

Trying not to bore the readers over this, have you any idea of the overall profit if I was to sell all my allocation on one day? It would not cover the rent for a couple of days.

Edited by Widnes Model Centre
  • Like 1