Bachmann Rep Limited Editions

WILLIAM

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that the Rep limited editions are diesel locos rather than steam, which you might expect to sell better. Presumably this is because there are so many variations on the "standard" liveries applied by depots etc., that will sell in smaller numbers only rather than as a standard catalogue release. Was it perhaps also because in steam days BR exercised greater control over the application of liveries and so the options would be spotless ex-works, seriously heavily weathered or somewhere in between.

Oh god, don’t start the steam vs Diesel, which sells best debate too!

Bachmann web site confirms both are 2018 REP models.

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/

being pedantic ... I doubt they'd be announced as new 2017 rep models now we're into 2018. With the jiggling around of models around Tamar being delayed I dont think its particularly clear how many we can expect or when. But I am hoping for some 37s to be announced as rep models at some point

• Like 2

Interesting that the Rep limited editions are diesel locos rather than steam, which you might expect to sell better. Presumably this is because there are so many variations on the "standard" liveries applied by depots etc., that will sell in smaller numbers only rather than as a standard catalogue release. Was it perhaps also because in steam days BR exercised greater control over the application of liveries and so the options would be spotless ex-works, seriously heavily weathered or somewhere in between.

Will there not have been less variations in steam years for liveries on the same tooling compared to the explosion of liveries since sectorisation? Could it also be that steam models will be expected to sell in larger quantities so might appear more as catalogue models rather than Rep limited editions?

I'm not so sure it will be an obvious steam vs diesel decision rather more matching up the numbers they expect to sell and sell out of in less common liveries making full use of the toolings they have available.

• RMweb Premium

Oh god, don’t start the steam vs Diesel, which sells best debate too!

I hope not!

Will there not have been less variations in steam years for liveries on the same tooling compared to the explosion of liveries since sectorisation? Could it also be that steam models will be expected to sell in larger quantities so might appear more as catalogue models rather than Rep limited editions?

I'm not so sure it will be an obvious steam vs diesel decision rather more matching up the numbers they expect to sell and sell out of in less common liveries making full use of the toolings they have available.

Perhaps in too round about a way, I was wondering how these Rep limited editions were really being chosen. Certainly with diesels, and Class 37s and 47s in particular, they have carried not just a wide range of different liveries but also a wide range of depot variants on those liveries, some more common than others. And whilst these Rep limited editions are a great way to produce some of them, how are they being chosen, which ones and why do Bachmann think will only sell out as limited editions whereas others are released as standard models. Take Bachmann's 47301, with its large numbers and Thornaby depot kingfisher, which was a "standard" release, whereas the likes of 47625 in weathered BR Blue is a limited edition.

If the next round are indeed 37s, how about one of Eastfield's BR Blue 37s with small Westie and white stripe, please.

Guest spet0114

Maybe it's simply a reflection of the fact that the various reps prefer diesels?  Let's face it, most working-age people don't remember BR steam.

Out of curiosity I lined up 3 of my DRS 47's to see if there are any differences in livery application and authenticity between the different brands.

Starting from the top down as follows from the earliest to the latest releases, all of them are brand new.

ViTrains Model Rail Ltd. Edition DRS 47501

ViTrains Rail Exclusive Ltd. Edition DRS 47813

Bachmann Rep Special Ltd. Edition DRS 47805

As you can probably see the liveries between the 3 are quite different thus let's play spot the difference and wouldn't mind knowing who thinks which one has got it right, yes this is very subjective depending on how you view the images.

I have googled images of these prototypes but it is difficult to judge based on camera angles and lighting but personally I think the ViTrains 47813 comes out on top with better colour depth and the light aqua hue within the Compass logo and the Bachmann 47805 a close second but not sure about the whiteness within the Compass logo and general colour depth, the ViTrains 47501 for me is all over the place with general detailing, shading/colouring and the shape of the Compass logo.

post-30580-0-08853100-1518447790_thumb.jpg

Edited by classy52
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Out of curiosity I lined up 3 of my DRS 47's to see if there are any differences in livery application and authenticity between the different brands.

Starting from the top down as follows from the earliest to the latest releases, all of them are brand new.

ViTrains Standard Release DRS 47501

As you can probably see the liveries between the 3 are quite different thus let's play spot the difference and wouldn't mind knowing who thinks which one has got it right, yes this is very subjective depending on how you view the images.

I have googled images of these prototypes but it is difficult to judge based on camera angles and lighting but personally I think the ViTrains 47813 comes out on top with better colour depth and the light aqua hue within the Compass logo and the Bachmann 47805 a close second but not sure about the whiteness within the Compass logo and general colour depth, the ViTrains 47501 for me is all over the place with general detailing, shading/colouring and the shape of the Compass logo.

attachicon.gifDRS 47.jpg

If we are just looking at the livery, I have to agree, 47813 looks best.

However, the overall shape of the loco and around the cab windows, looks odd to me.

• Like 3

attachicon.gifDRS 47.jpg

Wasn't 47 501 Craftsman the Model Rail limited edition?

It's the only "modern" locomotive that I've got, as opposed to BR blue era or earlier. Bought with a subscriber discount.

Jason

Wasn't 47 501 Craftsman the Model Rail limited edition?

It's the only "modern" locomotive that I've got, as opposed to BR blue era or earlier. Bought with a subscriber discount.

Jason

Sorry mate I've got no idea, it was released before I came into the hobby 4 years ago and I got mine recently off eBay.

If we are just looking at the livery, I have to agree, 47813 looks best.

However, the overall shape of the loco and around the cab windows, looks odd to me.

Must admit I did lay them down on a grooved dining table thus they are sort of tilting in a funny position which may give off the impression of being slightly odd compared to the Bachmann but agree with you on the livery application where ViTrains comes out on top for the RE version.

My eye isn't that keen yet on body shapes or cab windows hence why it's good to get feedback as you have provided.

attachicon.gifDRS 47.jpg

Eyesight not the best at this time of night. But if I can see, can you enlighten me re buffer shapes? Are they all correct?

Had a look at all our DRS loco's today, N and OO. All the colours are varied. We have one customer who every time he comes in he askes us what colours are we using this week on our DRS loco's? He is right though. ;)

• RMweb Premium

If the next round are indeed 37s, how about one of Eastfield's BR Blue 37s with small Westie and white stripe, please.

...with a matching one in N gauge please... (I'd take two!)

There wasn’t one, the SW Reps Special was the MOD van.

See post #8 of this thread dated 11 Jan 17 for the list of Area Reps models.

Yeah but the van was the 2017 Ltd for that area, this 47 is the 2018 one...

Seems to be a scheme that is working for Bachmann .

ViTrains Model Rail Ltd. Edition DRS 47501

attachicon.gifDRS 47.jpg

I hold this post 100% responsible for me suddenly deciding to buy 47805. Never my favourite DRS 47, but it certain suits the ViTrains/Rail Exclusive 47s best. Time to sell 47501 I think. 

I also justified the sudden purchase through 47805 being one of the last in service with DRS, and never receiving modifications to its radiator grills...unlike 47501 which did. So I guess, 47805 and 47813 as modelled here are concurrent with each other, where as 47501 as modelled, is not. Still I blame your photo!!  :thankyou:

• Like 1

I hold this post 100% responsible for me suddenly deciding to buy 47805. Never my favourite DRS 47, but it certain suits the ViTrains/Rail Exclusive 47s best. Time to sell 47501 I think. 

I also justified the sudden purchase through 47805 being one of the last in service with DRS, and never receiving modifications to its radiator grills...unlike 47501 which did. So I guess, 47805 and 47813 as modelled here are concurrent with each other, where as 47501 as modelled, is not. Still I blame your photo!!  :thankyou:

Lol glad to be of service and responsible for you getting one, it is a lovely loco and fits in really well with all 3 ViTrains DRS 47 RE's.

• RMweb Premium

No worries, I would give these guys a call The Hobby Shop in Faversham Kent or go to their website as per link below;

http://hobb-e-mail.com/

http://hobb-e-mail.com/Bachmann-32816nf-colas-rail-47727-rebecca---preview-12207-p.asp , this one takes you straight to the ordering page for the Colas 47.

Still being advertised @£155 with free delivery.

Cheers

Steve

Fantastic shop, ordered with no fuss at all. Highly recommended.

Fantastic shop, ordered with no fuss at all. Highly recommended.

Harvey at the Hobby Shop in Faversham recently moved to a new premises which is literally around the corner from the original Store that his father set up nearly 30 years ago. This larger shop enables even more stock to be displayed - a real Aladins cave.

If you are ever in the area, I would strongly recommend you pay a visit, you won't be disappointed.

& if you are not able to visit in person...... the website is regularly updated with new stock all the time.

Enjoy!

• RMweb Premium

Harvey at the Hobby Shop in Faversham recently moved to a new premises which is literally around the corner from the original Store that his father set up nearly 30 years ago. This larger shop enables even more stock to be displayed - a real Aladins cave.

If you are ever in the area, I would strongly recommend you pay a visit, you won't be disappointed.

& if you are not able to visit in person...... the website is regularly updated with new stock all the time.

Enjoy!

I’m over that way end of next week so intend on popping in.

Also just brought an Anglia 47! So far i have managed to resist the DRS version despite that being more appropriate for me.

• RMweb Gold

The Hobby Shop at Faversham is my closest proper model shop (despite it being a round trip of 52 miles)  and, as mentioned above, it certainly is an Aladdin's Cave. Am due over there this coming Friday for some retail therapy.......but the first stop will be the cream cake shop just round the corner.

Keith 

• Like 2

Sorry for the unfocused photo, unpacked my new Bachmann 47805, and it has white paper inside the lights on one end? Does anyone know what this is and how to remove it?

This is my first Bachmann 47, previously I have bought ViTrains. 

The prototype did not run with white like that in the lights, well, actually Bachmann does not tool the LED type light at all (nor does ViTrains), thus I am puzzled by this. 

Thanks in advance. 

post-22366-0-74265800-1518901334.jpg

Most of the newer Bachmann 47 and 37's have a white coating on the marker light lenses it acts as a defuser for the Yellow LED's used...if warm white LED's were used instead there would be no need for a white coating on the lenses.

Vi Trains use a different arrangement...

• Agree 1

Sorry for the unfocused photo, unpacked my new Bachmann 47805, and it has white paper inside the lights on one end? Does anyone know what this is and how to remove it?

This is my first Bachmann 47, previously I have bought ViTrains. 

The prototype did not run with white like that in the lights, well, actually Bachmann does not tool the LED type light at all (nor does ViTrains), thus I am puzzled by this. 

Thanks in advance. 

attachicon.gifIMG_8888.JPG

Don’t think that’s a diffuser or anything, I’d think it more likely Bachmann thought this retained dominoes or in fact, that have no way of simulating the LEDS