Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Just re-read myself and it looks like I'm wrong - although not totally clear the digest does imply 4 function decoder will be supplied but that can be reconfigured for operating the Halo lights somehow...  hopefully some guidance on doing this will emerge as not something I know how to do at present (though I'm sure not too difficult).

Sorry for false info,

M

• RMweb Gold

Just had an email from Model Railways Direct saying my pre-order has shipped. I pre-ordered a OO Defiant and the Bachmann Highland DTCL set at the same time, but order history seems to say both have shipped together. Website shows DTCL in stock and Defiant sold out. Somewhat excited.......

Just had an email from Model Railways Direct saying my pre-order has shipped. I pre-ordered a OO Defiant and the Bachmann Highland DTCL set at the same time, but order history seems to say both have shipped together. Website shows DTCL in stock and Defiant sold out. Somewhat excited.......

Sounds good but it does say this on there website thou and everywhere else says release for next month

post-15359-0-24277000-1485557502_thumb.png

Edited by Danielson's shay no 3

Slightly off topic but I notice the usual discount retailers are all discounting the 68 down to the same exact amount (to the very same penny!), coincidence or do Dapol operate a minimum price fixing system like with Bachmann out of interest?

Slightly off topic but I notice the usual discount retailers are all discounting the 68 down to the same exact amount (to the very same penny!), coincidence or do Dapol operate a minimum price fixing system like with Bachmann out of interest?

I believe so, although I'd imagine the official terminology might be "pricing policy", as opposed to "price fixing".  ;)

I ordered mine from a local dealer and have just been informed the price has INCREASED, he says £169.99 is the new Dapol retail price. Apparantly Dapol do this for every new model just before release.

How can the little shops compete when deals are done with the big box shifters?

How reliable is that information? Given that we've not heard it from anyone else, including the box-shifters you mention, you'll have to excuse me for being sceptical.

Edited by 60006

its what the dealer told me when I asked about deliveries (I asked because I read they had shipped) needless to say at the new price I cancelled and will wait to see box shifter price.

Dapol have done this before which makes it believable, look at the other posts on here, and they just did it with the MJA wagons too. In dapols defense they did announce price rises of 15-20% on all unshipped product last year. It will be interesting to see dapols reply.

How much are the DRS 68001 limited editions? 

I've checked the Gaugemaster site, as they are Dapol wholesalers and prices seem to be unchanged and they are showing sell outs for the DRS DC ready versions. Were you quoted for a DC ready or DCC fitted model, as Dapol are selling each model in 3 versions - DC ready; DCC fitted ; DCC sound fitted. The DC ready is showing as £145.55 and the DCC fitted as £168.40, these are pre discount. Dapol have a minimum price policy on new models, similar to Bachmann, so the discount can be no greater than 15%.

I ordered mine from a local dealer and have just been informed the price has INCREASED, he says £169.99 is the new Dapol retail price. Apparantly Dapol do this for every new model just before release.

How can the little shops compete when deals are done with the big box shifters?

Perhaps you do not follow Dapol's webpage and Digest? I suggest you take up your grievance with your retailer as Dapol have been very clear about pricing.

Dapol stated in October: For all products that have been ordered already, Dapol will honour the old pricing, however for orders received after October 31st the new price list will come into force.

Link: http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=blog/post&bpath=2&post_id=19

This means if you pre-ordered the retailers original price is honoured by Dapol. Now if that retailer wants to profiteer from the price increase, I would consider taking your business elsewhere.

Mine are pre-ordered with Kernow, which on reading Dapol press release I confirmed with them that my order at £118 per 68 is honoured.

Facts not alternative facts.

How much are the DRS 68001 limited editions?

Seeing DRS retail models in the shop at near or slightly over RRP, we shall be looking slightly above £145? Just like with Bachmann pricing issues, sometimes the final price is not known until the product leaves the factory as it is highly dependent on labour cost.

All profits are donated to DRS's nonimated charities chosen by staff member.

Remember the model shall be offered internally first.

I am debating whether to get it, as there shall be plenty more DRS livery 68 releases from Dapol over the years.

• RMweb Premium

Seeing DRS retail models in the shop at near or slightly over RRP, we shall be looking slightly above £145? Just like with Bachmann pricing issues, sometimes the final price is not known until the product leaves the factory as it is highly dependent on labour cost.

All profits are donated to DRS's nonimated charities chosen by staff member.

Remember the model shall be offered internally first.

I am debating whether to get it, as there shall be plenty more DRS livery 68 releases from Dapol over the years.

As per post #539, I've also heard the figure (from a trader interested in buying a few) of £200 mentioned for 68001...........

I wonder if ebay will go daft, just like it did with FL's 70001?

Listed at £99 in the FL shop, the first one went on ebay for just over £200 about a week after they were available. They were still successfully selling on ebay for £160 two weeks later, when 70001 was still available at £99 direct from the FL shop................

Wait three more weeks and the standard release of 70003/70006 (I think) was mid £80s.

I already have plans to renumber/rename my 68, so I'm not bothered which one I get.

Latest info from my "new" local model shop is that they will be available about the 14th of Feb or possibly a few days earlier. 

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

I've checked the Gaugemaster site, as they are Dapol wholesalers and prices seem to be unchanged and they are showing sell outs for the DRS DC ready versions. Were you quoted for a DC ready or DCC fitted model, as Dapol are selling each model in 3 versions - DC ready; DCC fitted ; DCC sound fitted. The DC ready is showing as £145.55 and the DCC fitted as £168.40, these are pre discount. Dapol have a minimum price policy on new models, similar to Bachmann, so the discount can be no greater than 15%.

Where did you see DCC sound fitted? Any idea who's sound files are used?

Where did you see DCC sound fitted? Any idea who's sound files are used?

From the Dapol release programme info for Jan/Feb that Gaugemaster posted on their site. You can find it on the Gaugemaster website, under 'older news'. Each 'oo' gauge Class 68 release is shown as being available in 3 electronic version, DCC Ready; DCC fitted; DCC Sound. The price for the sound fitted is £291.15. Sorry no idea who is producing the sound files. I've attached the link

http://www.gaugemaster.com/news/Dapol-Annoucements-January-and-February-2017

I believe Legomanbiffo is the brains behind the sound files for the Dapol 68.

Nice to see Dapol teaming up with Realtrack/Biffo for the class 68. I knew there was some work going on as someone had mentioned possible ways of setting up sound in class 68. Still, I already have bought a class 68 chip direct from DC Kits, as I wanted Biffos sounds in the model rather than run the risk of something inferior coming instead. 

Have to think that Hattons must be taking note and perhaps its not too late for them to change their regular supplier. 

I'm excited to find out what surprise Dapol have packaged with this model.

will it be

1. another 3 month delay
  2. Colour not right
  3. livery incorrect
  4. lighing wrong
  5. wont work on dcc
  6. runs backwards on dc
  7. parts fall off
  8. runs poorly/not at all
  9. instructions wrong
  10. not correct scale
  11. poor quality

Or perhaps model of the year 2016?  :onthequiet:

Which will it will be?

Love your positive outlook! I take it you won't be buying one then (no matter how good it is)?  :no:

• Like 1

I don't think it is sounding too negative to be cautious/concerned given some of our experiences of with the 73. I am this time holding off a bit to see what the feedback is from other 68 'pioneers' before I part with a reasonable amount of hard earned cash. While the 73 does generally look pretty stunning it had far too many niggles than it should (or bigger than niggles in same cases) for a model priced as it is.

To end on a positive note I am hopeful Dapol have learnt from the 73 and whilst no doubt there will be some imperfections it will be a better overall product than the 73.