Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Dapol / Legomanbiffo Class 68 Model and Soundchip: A review.

​Just some thoughts on the review for this latest purchase. The class 68 has a very different engine note compared to many other engines on the network. The Caterpillar powered monster with 3,600 horsepower can really shift and apply power in the real world. The model is actually no different, as it can really put its power down to the track.

On inspection the Dapol model looks great, even with one side of the DRS model being out of place. The access to the model being four clips to the side, makes removing the top remarkably easy and allows for quick access without any fear or compromising or risking the model. Once open, the chip can be placed into the model. Removing the two bars screwed in to place the sound chip first is what I'd suggest. I then soldered a massive super bass reflex speaker to the chip that I had ordered some weeks previously in anticipation. Placing the speaker in first and attaching the bars if needed allows the speaker to be inserted easily. The two wires from the end were gently made to seperate and go around where the decoder would be placed onto the model. Wires were taken to the other end and fastened together so that the joins were well away from the circuit board and they were wrapt in tape to prevent shorting. The decoder was then placed onto the 21 pin socket, which had its previous blanking plate removed in a way that was easier than some others, namely bachmanns which sometimes dont want to come loose. The decoder itself was then placed down onto the pins, but the size of the speaker means that it rests slightly on the speaker at an angle. It isn't by much and it has not affected the chip. I actually wrapt it up in some insulating pad that comes with Hornby engines to provide more security for it.

With the body back onto the engine it was time to check the settings. The engine was tested and run with no sound and then the lights and everything else was checked. Having found fault with this, I contacted Biffo, who advised Switch No. 3 needs setting at position No. 1. That way on a system restart for engine and ECoS everything has booted up into life.

The sounds of the class 68 are quite different. The engine note is more akin to something between a gutsy class 37 and the clean mechanical sound of the 66, with a rev akin to a Deltic. After starting straight up the engine idles away nicely. The note is immediately noticeable as different, being a new class and different power unit. The sound from the chip and speaker is very clear and accurate. The sound comes across well, particular with the extra bass from the bass reflex speaker.

When power is applied on a Biffo chip there are three or four different settings for departure, pending on how quickly power is applied. Lots of power, equates to more thrash, less and its a more gentle departure. With such changes in sound and performance linked to the control of the throttle, the engine is very responsive. This makes the driving ability more logical and easier to control. It also means that operating the engine can be more fun rather than needing lots of complications to make it accurate. Instead its a pleasure to drive and means that you can instead think of what its doing or how accurate you want to be. Biffos Drivelock function also makes driving and getting extra power to sound all the more fun and impressive. Excellent for short runs or over tricky point layouts where another engine would just idle over.

The extra functions sounds are well laid out and add extra character. Sounds that are included all are well recorded. The function sounds do sound better than previous other chips, where things like a guards whistle sounded fuzzy. Door slams also sound more like the prototype. Only the Mk. 3 coach wail, draws level with a similar function sound I have used before, which was from Bryan at Howes on his HST sound chip - but for Biffo to reach and match this standard and often on this chip exceed it says a lot. The quality of the recordings also makes this sound chip the best I have used in a model to date.

The extra way in which all the lighting functions can be controlled by the chip also sends realism into a whole new level. Finally a Ready to Run DCC Sound engine is released with the lighting also taken into consideration. Now the engine can be parked up on shed with red lights displayed at either end, or it can show red when on the rear of a train, with only white when working the train too. Theres no sign of lights being on like a light engine displays when hauling stock. As a result, this makes the price of the engine excellent when you consider the detail and accuracy that this model can run with, when going with accurate lights, realistic sound, excellent capture of the prototypes shape and outline, as well as good livery application.

A lot of this comes from Biffos sound chip which really catapults the realism and operational ability into another league. From now on the Class 68 will be the new benchmark for new diesel releases. Other manufacturers and sound chip producers have a very hard act to follow.

Many thanks for the extensive review. I have been in a dilemma about sound; having passed a happy hour or two listening to videos. The real thing has a beautiful throb – quite unlike a Ying Ying. There are only two videos of the project you used and one is in the wrong loco. (Don’t you like the numberplates on the DJ Models 0-4-2T? Look at the one in the Biffo clip!) Neither to my ear seems to capture the throb.

YouChoos seems to capture it better but includes a Ying-Ying-type clatter which is absent from the real thing. Nor does the chip seem to control all the lighting functions.

I have to agree about the lights. Dapol has gone to a lot of trouble with them. Pay attention, Bachmann and Hornby! The Dapol way is far better than having to stick masking tape over the contacts for the rear cab and tail lights.

• RMweb Premium

If anyone still wants a 68 at normal (i.e. non-ebay ripoff prices), then get yourself to the Glasgow/SECC show on Friday.

Check out the JDM Models stand. Don't try phoning him tomorrow, as he'll be on his way braving Storm Doris up the M74.

No connection, other than as a satisfied 68 (or three - it was meant to be two but don't tell Mrs NB!) owner courtesy of JDM.

Cheers,

Mick

Many thanks for the extensive review. I have been in a dilemma about sound; having passed a happy hour or two listening to videos. The real thing has a beautiful throb – quite unlike a Ying Ying. There are only two videos of the project you used and one is in the wrong loco. (Don’t you like the numberplates on the DJ Models 0-4-2T? Look at the one in the Biffo clip!) Neither to my ear seems to capture the throb.

YouChoos seems to capture it better but includes a Ying-Ying-type clatter which is absent from the real thing. Nor does the chip seem to control all the lighting functions.

I have to agree about the lights. Dapol has gone to a lot of trouble with them. Pay attention, Bachmann and Hornby! The Dapol way is far better than having to stick masking tape over the contacts for the rear cab and tail lights.

The 'wrong loco' in the video clip was a test dummy for the class 68 project. As a result its a class 56 model, running with part of the project for the class 68 inside. It was a test video for the project. 

I can vouch for the Biffo class 68 sounding exactly like the real thing when I was chasing and getting them for haulage on the Norfolk runs. 

Meanwhile, I inadvertantly have bought two of the same model. Thankfully I had already ordered plates for one to be redone and it looks like this is now going ahead. Just need transfers for class 68 now... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the extensive review. I have been in a dilemma about sound; having passed a happy hour or two listening to videos. The real thing has a beautiful throb – quite unlike a Ying Ying. There are only two videos of the project you used and one is in the wrong loco. (Don’t you like the numberplates on the DJ Models 0-4-2T? Look at the one in the Biffo clip!) Neither to my ear seems to capture the throb.

You have to treat YouTube videos as an indication of what they will sound like, not what they actually do. Why do I say that? You add another level of recording, encoding and playback, all of which will do nothing to help preserve the original sound. In my experience the decoders always sound better in the flesh.

If you do want to listen on YouTube, these are these two as well - both legomanbiffo in the "right loco": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRMvi5q0so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StlRy0bOif0 

Not sure why the "wrong loco" comment was necessary - it is quite obvious why it was done.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Dapol / Legomanbiffo Class 68 Model and Soundchip: A review.

​Just some thoughts on the review for this latest purchase. The class 68 has a very different engine note compared to many other engines on the network. The Caterpillar powered monster with 3,600 horsepower can really shift and apply power in the real world. The model is actually no different, as it can really put its power down to the track.

On inspection the Dapol model looks great, even with one side of the DRS model being out of place. The access to the model being four clips to the side, makes removing the top remarkably easy and allows for quick access without any fear or compromising or risking the model. Once open, the chip can be placed into the model. Removing the two bars screwed in to place the sound chip first is what I'd suggest. I then soldered a massive super bass reflex speaker to the chip that I had ordered some weeks previously in anticipation. Placing the speaker in first and attaching the bars if needed allows the speaker to be inserted easily. The two wires from the end were gently made to seperate and go around where the decoder would be placed onto the model. Wires were taken to the other end and fastened together so that the joins were well away from the circuit board and they were wrapt in tape to prevent shorting. The decoder was then placed onto the 21 pin socket, which had its previous blanking plate removed in a way that was easier than some others, namely bachmanns which sometimes dont want to come loose. The decoder itself was then placed down onto the pins, but the size of the speaker means that it rests slightly on the speaker at an angle. It isn't by much and it has not affected the chip. I actually wrapt it up in some insulating pad that comes with Hornby engines to provide more security for it.

With the body back onto the engine it was time to check the settings. The engine was tested and run with no sound and then the lights and everything else was checked. Having found fault with this, I contacted Biffo, who advised Switch No. 3 needs setting at position No. 1. That way on a system restart for engine and ECoS everything has booted up into life.

The sounds of the class 68 are quite different. The engine note is more akin to something between a gutsy class 37 and the clean mechanical sound of the 66, with a rev akin to a Deltic. After starting straight up the engine idles away nicely. The note is immediately noticeable as different, being a new class and different power unit. The sound from the chip and speaker is very clear and accurate. The sound comes across well, particular with the extra bass from the bass reflex speaker.

When power is applied on a Biffo chip there are three or four different settings for departure, pending on how quickly power is applied. Lots of power, equates to more thrash, less and its a more gentle departure. With such changes in sound and performance linked to the control of the throttle, the engine is very responsive. This makes the driving ability more logical and easier to control. It also means that operating the engine can be more fun rather than needing lots of complications to make it accurate. Instead its a pleasure to drive and means that you can instead think of what its doing or how accurate you want to be. Biffos Drivelock function also makes driving and getting extra power to sound all the more fun and impressive. Excellent for short runs or over tricky point layouts where another engine would just idle over.

The extra functions sounds are well laid out and add extra character. Sounds that are included all are well recorded. The function sounds do sound better than previous other chips, where things like a guards whistle sounded fuzzy. Door slams also sound more like the prototype. Only the Mk. 3 coach wail, draws level with a similar function sound I have used before, which was from Bryan at Howes on his HST sound chip - but for Biffo to reach and match this standard and often on this chip exceed it says a lot. The quality of the recordings also makes this sound chip the best I have used in a model to date.

The extra way in which all the lighting functions can be controlled by the chip also sends realism into a whole new level. Finally a Ready to Run DCC Sound engine is released with the lighting also taken into consideration. Now the engine can be parked up on shed with red lights displayed at either end, or it can show red when on the rear of a train, with only white when working the train too. Theres no sign of lights being on like a light engine displays when hauling stock. As a result, this makes the price of the engine excellent when you consider the detail and accuracy that this model can run with, when going with accurate lights, realistic sound, excellent capture of the prototypes shape and outline, as well as good livery application.

A lot of this comes from Biffos sound chip which really catapults the realism and operational ability into another league. From now on the Class 68 will be the new benchmark for new diesel releases. Other manufacturers and sound chip producers have a very hard act to follow.

Thanks David/Black Hat for taking the time to put a comprehensive review of the class 68 and biffo sound project on the forum....

Unfortunately you have got me interested in this....hmmm the two Scottish 68's are still available...... now it's not quite my era, but......

• Like 1

You have to treat YouTube videos as an indication of what they will sound like, not what they actually do. Why do I say that? You add another level of recording, encoding and playback, all of which will do nothing to help preserve the original sound. In my experience the decoders always sound better in the flesh.

If you do want to listen on YouTube, these are these two as well - both legomanbiffo in the "right loco": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRMvi5q0so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StlRy0bOif0 

Not sure why the "wrong loco" comment was necessary - it is quite obvious why it was done.

Roy

Thank you – I hadn’t seen the second. The point about YouTube is well made but my dilemma remains.

The point about the “wrong loco” was just a throw-away remark.

I like how they say a world renowned model makers. I didn't hear of Dapol until I had been modelling for several years with Bachmann and Hornby models.

Well, they were around and renowned before Bachmann in the UK at least. As for "World", only if you consider the odd UK modeller abroad who brought some Dapol.

• RMweb Gold

So I was very excited to get home and open my parcel with 68010 and 68005 from my chosen model shop (pre ordered Nov 15)! Anyway within seconds of opening I'm sending both back for replacement. I started with the Chiltern one expecting it to be fine especially after reading good stuff on here. As it turns out one buffer snapped off and the steps on the same corner. Also both noses have some of the yellow paint rubbed off in the same place. See pics.

IMG_2654_zpsuzzwq94f.jpg

IMG_2653_zpsah5xnpkg.jpg

IMG_2651_zpsrm4d6gam.jpg

IMG_2650_zps5mzlxwkp.jpg

IMG_2652_zpstuivfzcx.jpg

Next the dreaded Drs example. Not as bad as the Chiltern one but a large unsightly scratch on one of the large Drs decals. One wonky Nameplate but I could of sorted that myself and happily would of.

IMG_2648_zpsaalj0vxx.jpg

Anyway both are going back. Can't believe I have had to wait this long (over a week) to find that both examples are damaged. Not a happy bunny at all. I sincerely hope that the model shop I used has some spare and if not then Dapol need to supply them. By the way all packaging from Dapol and the model shop were perfect and I would consider all packaging to be of a very high standard. As far as I'm concerned these issues have to have happened at the factory.

To sum up: The locos on the whole look amazing, very heavy and extremely highly detailed. I'm fuming that I can't even tell you how they run. Also the legomanbiffo chips will have to wait yet another week at least.

An upset Andy.

Edited by Andy7

Talking of wonky plates I ordered another 68005 so I could send my gluey one back and it arrived like this

3EB13D0A-3227-4016-BF21-18F8B2F7FA03_zps

I used a scalpel blade to ping the plate off, was a bit worried it might pull a load of paint off but luckily it was just the paint directly under the plate

12792D22-1898-4B36-8102-A0DDBE796542_zps

7BF12B7D-4D45-4788-B78B-5FA76B053262_zps

I fitted a 21 pin Bachmann 36-554 decoder as it was all I had spare and it's a lovely runner, creeps along and i think it's the best OO gauge loco I've ever purchased if you ignore issue with the wonky plates! Maybe someone sticking the etched plate on was sat on a hill

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, they were around and renowned before Bachmann in the UK at least. As for "World", only if you consider the odd UK modeller abroad who brought some Dapol.

That's somewhat misleading as the company has passed into new ownership but yes some of Hornby's tooling has its origins in the name Dapol.They are innovatively brilliant at their best but lapses in finish and quality of the end product mean that the potential is yet to be realised.Hence the merciless hammering they get sometimes on this forum.Given a chance and consistency they could be up there among the best.We shall see.

Good grief! And I thought mine was bad! How did you get the plate off? I'm nervious to try!

Talking of wonky plates I ordered another 68005 so I could send my gluey one back and it arrived like this

3EB13D0A-3227-4016-BF21-18F8B2F7FA03_zps

I used a scalpel blade to ping the plate off, was a bit worried it might pull a load of paint off but luckily it was just the paint directly under the plate

12792D22-1898-4B36-8102-A0DDBE796542_zps

7BF12B7D-4D45-4788-B78B-5FA76B053262_zps

I fitted a 21 pin Bachmann 36-554 decoder as it was all I had spare and it's a lovely runner, creeps along and i think it's the best OO gauge loco I've ever purchased if you ignore issue with the wonky plates! Maybe someone sticking the etched plate on was sat on a hill

Edited by miles73128

Good grief! And I thought mine was bad! How did you get the plate off? I'm nervious to try!

I used the sharp point of a scalpel just under one end and pulled it towards me without levering to avoid damaging body and it started to move away easily.

Normally when a new model loco arrives in the post you look forward to opening the box, however with this I was apprehensive on what I was going to find. Part of the reason why I pulled the plate off was one it looked awful and two, I was annoyed the 2nd 68 i'd ordered arrived with a problem with the nameplates! And before I knew what I was going to do with it, I was removing the plate.

Its a risk though as I could have ruined the body I guess.

So I was very excited to get home and open my parcel with 68010 and 68005 from my chosen model shop (pre ordered Nov 15)! Anyway within seconds of opening I'm sending both back for replacement. I started with the Chiltern one expecting it to be fine especially after reading good stuff on here. As it turns out one buffer snapped off and the steps on the same corner. Also both noses have some of the yellow paint rubbed off in the same place. See pics.

IMG_2654_zpsuzzwq94f.jpg

IMG_2653_zpsah5xnpkg.jpg

IMG_2651_zpsrm4d6gam.jpg

IMG_2650_zps5mzlxwkp.jpg

IMG_2652_zpstuivfzcx.jpg

Next the dreaded Drs example. Not as bad as the Chiltern one but a large unsightly scratch on one of the large Drs decals. One wonky Nameplate but I could of sorted that myself and happily would of.

IMG_2648_zpsaalj0vxx.jpg

Anyway both are going back. Can't believe I have had to wait this long (over a week) to find that both examples are damaged. Not a happy bunny at all. I sincerely hope that the model shop I used has some spare and if not then Dapol need to supply them. By the way all packaging from Dapol and the model shop were perfect and I would consider all packaging to be of a very high standard. As far as I'm concerned these issues have to have happened at the factory.

To sum up: The locos on the whole look amazing, very heavy and extremely highly detailed. I'm fuming that I can even tell you how they run. Also the legomanbiffo chips will have to wait yet another week at least.

An upset Andy.

Hi thanks glad you posted these photos i also bought the silver grey Chiltern no 14 because of reading about the poor drs ones and was two very excited only when i got in the car and oppend it lots of loose bits in the plastic box so it went straight back what a dissapointment waiting for model shop to get back to me on what happens next