Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Mine DRS pair are sat somewhere in cheam awaiting picking up tommorow after school! im excited but also praying i got off lucky, On that note, does the glue debonder damage the paintwork when removing nameplates, has anyone tried?

Ben

I haven't tried de-bonder (not sure if it would damage the body work as the paint did seem to come off each behind the nameplate I removed), I have a spare DRS 68 I don't want which has a tiny bit of glue and was going to try the warm water on a cocktail stick trick, or ping the plate off and move it up a tiny amount but haven't got round to it yet as the plates look quite well stuck on.

I haven't tried de-bonder (not sure if it would damage the body work as the paint did seem to come off each behind the nameplate I removed), I have a spare DRS 68 I don't want which has a tiny bit of glue and was going to try the warm water on a cocktail stick trick, or ping the plate off and move it up a tiny amount but haven't got round to it yet as the plates look quite well stuck on.

If you do could you tell me what happens, if worst comes to worst I will DIY the plates, don't want to hack them off and take the paintjob with it though...

Ben

That's somewhat misleading as the company has passed into new ownership but yes some of Hornby's tooling has its origins in the name Dapol.They are innovatively brilliant at their best but lapses in finish and quality of the end product mean that the potential is yet to be realised.Hence the merciless hammering they get sometimes on this forum.Given a chance and consistency they could be up there among the best.We shall see.

Most OO modelers have heard of the name Dapol, even if the people have changed. They were quite innovative in the past. The only RTR manufacturer which we could run straight on the Chatham model railway club layout with its hand built track in the early 90s. Bachmann did not give us proper back to back spacing until the mid 90s. Once they sold much of their stuff to Hornby, they disappeared a bit from the OO scene (wagons aside) and into N gauge instead, so I can imagine a brief spell from 2000 to 2010 when new OO gauge modelers would not have really known them.

Agree that they keep tripping over their feet of late in getting colours, finish and final build right. Potential is certainly there, just lack of attention in the final phases before delivery it seems.

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

All the excuse I need to have a Scotrail and Chiltern 68 on a Midlands based layout.....

:sungum:

Cheers,

Mick

We've had Chiltern ones in Anglia, maybe it's time to get my stock back off Widnes Vine Yard and make that layout based on Eccles Road

That's somewhat misleading as the company has passed into new ownership but yes some of Hornby's tooling has its origins in the name Dapol.They are innovatively brilliant at their best but lapses in finish and quality of the end product mean that the potential is yet to be realised.Hence the merciless hammering they get sometimes on this forum.Given a chance and consistency they could be up there among the best.We shall see.

So when did the company change ownership?

• RMweb Premium

We've had Chiltern ones in Anglia, maybe it's time to get my stock back off Widnes Vine Yard and make that layout based on Eccles Road

Were they dragging Anglia 90s? (goes off to check...)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Mick

DRS 68017 Hornet dragging a single Greater Anglia Mk3 from Norwich Crown Point to Ilford for tyre turning (I think...)

gallery_24698_3502_144215.jpg

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Mick

Some workings I photographed

05 Sept 2014

Diss

68011 on 0Z05, 11:00, Crewe Gresty Bridge - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (17:49) - unbranded Chiltern livery

08 Sept 2014

Diss

68011 on 5Z56, 12:21, Wolverton Centre Sidings - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (16:14) - coaches after refurbishment (12147 and 12129)

09 Sept 2014

Eccles Road

68011 and 68009, Titan, on 0Z50, 11:10, Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D - York Parcels Sidings (15:28) - light engines to collect RHTT wagons

22 Sept 2014

Diss

68013 on 5Z55, 08:04, Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D - Wolverton Centre Sidings (12:42) - coaches for refurbishment (12146, 12026 and 11091)

02 October 2014

Eccles Road

68013 on 0Z68, 10:07, Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D - Crewe Gresty Bridge (DRS) (16:18) - light engine

Apologies but a little off topic to what is currently being discussed, but has anyone seen the Dapol website where they have referred to 3rd Party Forums discussing the Class 68 accusing posters of fictitious, malicious or false statements about their (presumably) DRS Class 68.

Would I be correct to assume Dapol are having a go at the RMWeb forum, personally what I have read throughout this particular thread has all been fact based in regards to the issues with the Class 68 (especially the DRS variant) thus just curious to know what or who they are referring to when debunking posts on 3rd party forums.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

Apologies but a little off topic to what is currently being discussed, but has anyone seen the Dapol website where they have referred to 3rd Party Forums discussing the Class 68 accusing posters of fictitious, malicious or false statements about their (presumably) DRS Class 68.

Would I be correct to assume Dapol are having a go at the RMWeb forum, personally what I have read throughout this particular thread has all been fact based in regards to the issues with the Class 68 (especially the DRS variant) thus just curious to know what or who they are referring to when debunking posts on 3rd party forums.

Yes - about 17 pages and a week ago!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77952-Dapol-announce-rights-to-n-oo-gauge-class-68/page-27&do=findComment&comment=2619894

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77952-Dapol-announce-rights-to-n-oo-gauge-class-68/page-29&do=findComment&comment=2620756

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Many thanks for the extensive review. I have been in a dilemma about sound; having passed a happy hour or two listening to videos. The real thing has a beautiful throb – quite unlike a Ying Ying. There are only two videos of the project you used and one is in the wrong loco. (Don’t you like the numberplates on the DJ Models 0-4-2T? Look at the one in the Biffo clip!) Neither to my ear seems to capture the throb.

YouChoos seems to capture it better but includes a Ying-Ying-type clatter which is absent from the real thing. Nor does the chip seem to control all the lighting functions.

I have to agree about the lights. Dapol has gone to a lot of trouble with them. Pay attention, Bachmann and Hornby! The Dapol way is far better than having to stick masking tape over the contacts for the rear cab and tail lights.

I am going to ping John @ YouChoos an email regarding the halo lights. His chip is setup for Aux 3 and 4 but mine don't seem to be working either but it might be a simple case of remapping the CV's

• RMweb Gold

All the 'dodgy' posts were removed last week, they basically pointed at Dapol replacing/recalling the whole batch of 68s off the back of conversations that actually never happened between a 'modeller' and someone at Dapol

Edit: sorry, what Newbryford linked to already!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

My replacement came today. Was definitely a fault with the one I originally received as the issue just does not exist in the replacement one.

Video of it running with coaches:

[sorry for poor video quality - filmed with inbuilt tablet camera].

I say! Never mind the loco, look at that train! Very nice indeed.

• RMweb Gold

Tried to change my pre-order from DRS to Chiltern but the retailer has sold all its allocation (noting post above re Chiltern version!). Will wait for the DRS version to arrive and see how it is.

Hattons seem to have plenty of Chiltern and Scotrail in stock but no DRS.

Well that is easy - buy 2 68s and both sound chips. Don't know what your problem is :jester:

Roy

You haven’t quite read my mind (phew!) but you seem to know how it works. I solved the other dilemma by ordering both a Mk. III DVT in W&S and another Chiltern 68. With all that lighting functionality, it seems a bit of a waste not to run a top-and-tailer. I suppose they’ll just have to run round and round the layout as a pair looking for their coaches. :(

I just hope the 7Fs don’t appear until my credit card clicks over.

• RMweb Gold

Okay: I know obstacle deflectors have been discussed briefly before (lack of a second 'complete' one; the occasional missing one). But does anyone know what SHOULD be in the box, and is there any variation depending on the model?

My DRS one (68005) came with a 'complete' one fitted and a slotted one in the spares bag. My Chiltern one (68014) came without any fitted, but an unslotted one in the bag.... Seems random to me....

I'll chase the retailer for what I reckon must me a missing one (knowing that spares are on their way via Dapol), but wondered what other experiences there are out there.

Cheers

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Tried to change my pre-order from DRS to Chiltern but the retailer has sold all its allocation (noting post above re Chiltern version!). Will wait for the DRS version to arrive and see how it is. Hattons seem to have plenty of Chiltern and Scotrail in stock but no DRS.

Try The Hobby Goblin,Burslem.

• RMweb Gold

Okay: I know obstacle deflectors have been discussed briefly before (lack of a second 'complete' one; the occasional missing one). But does anyone know what SHOULD be in the box, and is there any variation depending on the model?

My DRS one (68005) came with a 'complete' one fitted and a slotted one in the spares bag. My Chiltern one (68014) came without any fitted, but an unslotted one in the bag.... Seems random to me....

I'll chase the retailer for what I reckon must me a missing one (knowing that spares are on their way via Dapol), but wondered what other experiences there are out there.

Cheers

Rob

I had a complete one fitted and a slotted one in the spares bag.

Roy

I am going to ping John @ YouChoos an email regarding the halo lights. His chip is setup for Aux 3 and 4 but mine don't seem to be working either but it might be a simple case of remapping the CV's

John is waiting on his own Class 68 arriving today and he is going to have a play to find out how to remap the halo lights. I may hook mine up to Decoder Pro too at some point to gain a full list of CV's but haven't got time at the moment unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

I had a complete one fitted and a slotted one in the spares bag.

Roy

All three of mine were as above - sort of.

Watch out for the fitted valance coming off - it is not a tight fit. The valance on my Chiltern 68 was loose in the box.

Cheers,

Mick