Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

I was in two minds whether to have a DRS one of these or not as the 68's run nowhere near where I live and model but after seeing a pic of this.... I think I may have to order one (or two) now!

Saw my first 68...DRS "Rapid" ( Wasn't there a Warship namesake in the dim distant past? ) parked up at the South end of Derby station on the 13th. Have to say it's a handsome beast.Our latest main line diesel and by curious contrast in the North end bay of Platform 1 was parked 31 452....a genuine antique ( heritage? ) and one of the first.

• Like 1

Saw my first 68...DRS "Rapid" ( Wasn't there a Warship namesake in the dim distant past? ) parked up at the South end of Derby station on the 13th. Have to say it's a handsome beast.Our latest main line diesel and by curious contrast in the North end bay of Platform 1 was parked 31 452....a genuine antique ( heritage? ) and one of the first.

Lucky you! I’ve seen videos of them and I must say that the diesel purr is a much nicer sound than that from the “Ying-yings.” I hope Paul Chetter will be on the job soon.

• RMweb Premium

Lucky you! I’ve seen videos of them and I must say that the diesel purr is a much nicer sound than that from the “Ying-yings.” I hope Paul Chetter will be on the job soon.

Already sorted from another supplier

Class 68 from Legomanbiffo

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Yes, D838 was named Rapid.

• RMweb Premium

Will wait for others to report back on quality /QC issues . I'd like to have a Scotrail one , but not in a disparate rush. Based on the feedback on the 73 on the thread on here , Dapols QC is just too risky

Last weekend it was commented from Dapol that the factory produced livery samples of Scotrail and DRS are due in 'March', adding Model Rail Scotland's comment 'repainted especially for Model Rail Scotland 2016' we can conclude is the one of the early EP or first shots which has been re-sprayed. Thus grills, windows, extras, etc, have all been re-fitted and shall not show the quality of the factory produced. That being said, this re-spray and printed decal sheets do look cracking in the hi-res photos linked above.

I hope this can be noted in all posts, as this model, though a re-spray, looks superb !

Hi All,

The Scotrail example does look very nice and is a hand finished model by R3sprays from one of the early sample body shells provided by Dapol in time to display at the show. I was also lucky to get my hands on another body shell and Dapol have done a fantastic job, there are some very fine etched grills fitted on the body sides and roof fans and it captures the look of the real thing very well. With the addition of a sound chip from Legomanbiffo this model will be a cracking addition for us modern image modellers.

Hope this information helps bring some clarity regarding the Scotrail model.

All the best

Mark

I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time on Saturday when there was a photoshoot happening on Cement Quay with the Chiltern 68.  Not sure what version of an EP it was but it looked really good.

I'm just waiting for the N gauge version and the DRS and Scotrail liveries.

Martin

post-6789-0-77528400-1456761116_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Do we need to start a campaign for Hornby to produce the coaches and DVT to go with what looks to be an excellent addition...

Perhaps we might find Oxford Rail new Mk3s a better manufacturer to lobby, seeing as they have not tooled yet, could always have the plug door tooling included.... I have mentioned this to Oxfords, be brilliant if we all lobbied.

I have bought up some Wrexham & Shropshire DVTs and debranded them, along with spraying up some Mk3s - but really do need the plug dooring.

Have you also seen the new branding on the Banbury set? Hornby could do that livery as no plug doors.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36593372@N04/24507834111/

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol 68 is looking extremely promising, if they can avoid some of the unfortunate QC and colour issues that let the otherwise also excellent 73 down then I think this will be a real winner.