Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

Your right Kevin, but I'm not at all happy with it, I've just been out since Lunch and ended up turning the power off and coming in, I just can't get it to look how I want it to look. I'm considering no raised area, or just an inch of ground on the corner, and then using Trees for the view blocker, but leaving sight for the Signalman. I may do away with the second smaller Cottage as well, to allow more room for Trees and a bigger Garden and Veg patch for the main Cottage.

Idea coming together, I would reduce the height to at least half what is there now.

Wouldn't loose the idea for this area as the concept is good.

Like you said perhaps to much being added try one building or just rely on scenery on its own to pull it off........

One of those moments to park it, get on with something else and come back to it afresh another day.......where have I heard that before....ohh I know.....most areas of Little Muddle when it didn't quite go as envisaged.

Always worked for me!!!!

If I might put an observation of your dillema.

I think perhaps its the height of the nearside hill, plus the signals, is highlighting the scale of the curve,. Therfore I'm inclined to agree if you are able to reduce the height, particularly in the section between the Signal box and the signals, it will shift the focus further towrds the reverse curves, perhaps.

All the best with your deliberations, you usually get it right after tea & cakes!

Idea coming together, I would reduce the height to at least half what is there now.

Wouldn't loose the idea for this area as the concept is good.

Like you said perhaps to much being added try one building or just rely on scenery on its own to pull it off........

One of those moments to park it, get on with something else and come back to it afresh another day.......where have I heard that before....ohh I know.....most  Guysareas of Little Muddle when it didn't quite go as envisaged.

Always worked for me!!!!

Cheers Guys, the lie of the land from the back fields suggests that it would be quite low along the front, and there definitely needs to be good sighting for the Signals. I'll have another look  at it in the morning.

The original idea of a nice deep, Sonning type Cutting is now definitely out of the window. :no:  :no:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Hi Andy,

How about a stretch of river/stream a la Pencarne?

Best wishes

Nige

Funnily enough I tried that weeks ago and it might just work now, back then it was almost in a cutting of it's own with the high land around, but with a lower land form, a River / Stream, Bridge, Road, Cottage it could look quite picturesque.

Worth a look tomorrow, Cheers Nige.

• Like 2

Hi Andy

I have an idea for you and the space your trying to fill in. What about a loco depot. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Hides behind the big bloke ....quickly

How can I say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :nono:  :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Your right Kevin, but I'm not at all happy with it, I've just been out since Lunch and ended up turning the power off and coming in, I just can't get it to look how I want it to look. I'm considering no raised area, or just an inch of ground on the corner, and then using Trees for the view blocker, but leaving sight for the Signalman. I may do away with the second smaller Cottage as well, to allow more room for Trees and a bigger Garden and Veg patch for the main Cottage.

I'm not too sure about the form of the new landscape Andy - doesn't quite gell with me sorry but I've no doubt you'll get it right (and tell us it was just a bodge - ha-bloomin'-ha, all artists talk like that.  Ah - I've now got to the revised version, much better I think.

But one important point - there's no need for the Signalman to be able to see those signals, that's what signal/lamp repeaters are for (which you'd know if you ever get round to coming to an RMweb day at Didcot - hint   ;) ).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

I'm not too sure about the form of the new landscape Andy - doesn't quite gell with me sorry but I've no doubt you'll get it right (and tell us it was just a bodge - ha-bloomin'-ha, all artists talk like that.  Ah - I've now got to the revised version, much better I think.

But one important point - there's no need for the Signalman to be able to see those signals, that's what signal/lamp repeaters are for (which you'd know if you ever get round to coming to an RMweb day at Didcot - hint   ;) ).

Been to Didy Land many times Mike, but never on an official tour, and certainly not into the Box.

Note for Diary, 2018 or whenever the next Tour is.

See next set of Pics Mike.

• Like 2

And so it came to pass, that the Land form was shaped and the Tow Path inserted, and a layer of PVA painted into the Canal floor to seal it. There will be a Stone wall at the back of the Tow Path backing onto the Railway.

post-9335-0-89518000-1506439035_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-09469800-1506439054_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-10184300-1506439069_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-50215900-1506439082_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-48558200-1506439094_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Wrong? How can you do it wrong? ;)

I mixed a bit of each Woodlands Scenics, Fine Limestone, Dark Brown and some Cinders, unfortunately that doesn't look right, on top of which the 2mm card got to wet, (I've used it before without a problem), but this time it's lifted in places. It's now almost all gone, and been re laid with 2mm Cork, ready to try a lighter mix in a few days.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Wow your storming along here!  Akin to a 'Duchess' on the WCML!  Looking good though, and I think your revised idea of going with a canal works well - I keep popping into catch up, in between periods of sleep, work and family ... there used to be modelling time as well, but I'm not really sure where thats gone at the moment!  Has this on/off thing with the EU reduced us to a 21 hour day???

Sorry if I've missed this anywhere, but what are you using for the actual raised land area?  Looks like some kind of foam block, but I'm guessing its quite lightweight as you seem to have formed it to the landscape quite easily?

Rich

Hi Andy,

Wow your storming along here!  Akin to a 'Duchess' on the WCML!  Looking good though, and I think your revised idea of going with a canal works well - I keep popping into catch up, in between periods of sleep, work and family ... there used to be modelling time as well, but I'm not really sure where thats gone at the moment!  Has this on/off thing with the EU reduced us to a 21 hour day???

Sorry if I've missed this anywhere, but what are you using for the actual raised land area?  Looks like some kind of foam block, but I'm guessing its quite lightweight as you seem to have formed it to the landscape quite easily?

Rich

Thanks Rich, yes it's just ordinary Polystyrene, i.e. as used in packaging for TV's, Microwaves etc, and then some 3 mm Ply for the Road and base's for the Buildings.

I've been cutting it with an old Bread knife in one hand and the Vacuum hose in the other as it sticks to everything.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Been having a think this evening, DANGEROUS I KNOW, but the new water course is a bit on the narrow side for the Oxford Canal, in fact a boat would be hard pressed to get around the bend between the Cottages, so I've decided to make it a small part of the River Cherwell instead, as in the pics below.

post-9335-0-43593400-1506462489.jpg

post-9335-0-87723800-1506462667.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Been having a think this evening, DANGEROUS I KNOW, but the new water course is a bit on the narrow side for the Oxford Canal, in fact a boat would be hard pressed to get around the bend between the Cottages, so I've decided to make it a small part of the River Cherwell instead, as in the pic below.

attachicon.gifRiver_Cherwell,_Trafford_Bridge.jpg

How about a caravan park on the bank - or perhaps someone's done that before somewhere...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Thanks Rich, yes it's just ordinary Polystyrene, i.e. as used in packaging for TV's, Microwaves etc, and then some 3 mm Ply for the Road and base's for the Buildings.

I've been cutting it with an old Bread knife in one hand and the Vacuum hose in the other as it sticks to everything.

Thanks for that - Im pleased I asked now as I thought it was some special stuff that could be easily shaped ... just watch where your waving that bread knife tho!  Wrists and arms are that durable with those things :) ...  also I don't envy the conversation with your better half in the morning ... when wondering why the toast has got white bits on it!! hehehe

Been having a think this evening, DANGEROUS I KNOW, but the new water course is a bit on the narrow side for the Oxford Canal, in fact a boat would be hard pressed to get around the bend between the Cottages, so I've decided to make it a small part of the River Cherwell instead, as in the pics below.

attachicon.gif160516-167-Rousham.jpg

That will look really nice .... just don't go round the bend now you've got this far ;)

Rich

attachicon.gif160516-167-Rousham.jpg

Perhaps swap the road and river.  You need a bank either side of the river and away from the running lines.  A meandering stream/river is all you need, more buildings will look too cluttered IMO.

Edit: You don't need road and buildings, just a lower cutting face then water at the front edge of the baseboard.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I mixed a bit of each Woodlands Scenics, Fine Limestone, Dark Brown and some Cinders, unfortunately that doesn't look right, on top of which the 2mm card got to wet, (I've used it before without a problem), but this time it's lifted in places. It's now almost all gone, and been re laid with 2mm Cork, ready to try a lighter mix in a few days.

You never really know what colour it's going to be until the glue has dried. Good luck with version two :)