Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

Looks like plain scenery is going to give you the result you are after.

A few swans paddling serenely along, weeping willows drooping at the waters edge, perhaps a lone fisherman trying his luck - could send the Colonel over as he still hasn't caught anything in my stream....!!!!

Just a thought but for my goods yard I used similar to you but then I stained it with a multitude of grey washes of different shades and densities to give tone variation.

EDIT - plus tremendous earth powder as well 

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

How about a caravan park on the bank - or perhaps someone's done that before somewhere...

I sold them with the Land but heard they went to ESSEX

I did hear that the travellers at Pencarne have been moved on .......

Having arrived in ESSEX they found no suitable Land, so went to the Wilds of Lincolnshire, instead and set up camp in your Village Clive. hahaha :no:  :nono:  :sungum:  :onthequiet:

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that - Im pleased I asked now as I thought it was some special stuff that could be easily shaped ... just watch where your waving that bread knife tho!  Wrists and arms are that durable with those things :) ...  also I don't envy the conversation with your better half in the morning ... when wondering why the toast has got white bits on it!! hehehe

That will look really nice .... just don't go round the bend now you've got this far ;)

Rich

Morning Rich, It's me that's gone around the bend mate, that corner looked so simple, but it's driven me mad trying to get it right.

• Like 1

Perhaps swap the road and river.  You need a bank either side of the river and away from the running lines.  A meandering stream/river is all you need, more buildings will look too cluttered IMO.

Edit: You don't need road and buildings, just a lower cutting face then water at the front edge of the baseboard.

Interesting thought Mick, I wanted the Cottage so that I could do some nice scenic work around it, but I did look again before I went to bed last night, and you may well be right, I will re look at it before I do to much.

• Like 1

You never really know what colour it's going to be until the glue has dried. Good luck with version two :)

Thanks Scott, if you click on the images I posted of the Goods Yard on the previous page, you will see that the Colours look to speckely. I looked at some prototype pics again last night so will re do it once I've sorted out my materiel's.

Looks like plain scenery is going to give you the result you are after.

A few swans paddling serenely along, weeping willows drooping at the waters edge, perhaps a lone fisherman trying his luck - could send the Colonel over as he still hasn't caught anything in my stream....!!!!

Just a thought but for my goods yard I used similar to you but then I stained it with a multitude of grey washes of different shades and densities to give tone variation.

EDIT - plus tremendous earth powder as well 

Yes to the plain scenery as Mick also alluded to above, please send the Colonel over, but with his shot gun, I think I have some poachers on my stretch of River, ahhah.

I will re do the Goods Yard like I did the one on Pen, as that worked out a lot better.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I started the day by doing a Larry, I ripped out all yesterdays work.

TBH, opinion swayed me and re looking at the area, I was trying to get a Gallon into a Pint pot, with two Cottages, the Road and the River it was all a bit to much.

So this morning and an hour after Lunch, I've re visited the whole area, and I now just have the River and Fields and I'm sure once it's flocked  and some Trees added it will be much nicer, and blend in with the Fields along the back.

I seem to have a near vertical piece near the Lamp Hut, so will rectify that on Friday.

I'm out all day tomorrow so plenty of time for the Mod Rock and Masking Tape to set.

post-9335-0-15900600-1506522620_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-34406400-1506522634_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-10772800-1506522647_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-29915500-1506522666_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-16582600-1506522682_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-39262600-1506522699_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-28496900-1506522716_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-53946400-1506522730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Great sculpting. It really is a very fast and effective way of building up the contours of the land. I had a roll of the woodland scenics plaster bandage and it's lasted ages. And packaging is free, with a little justification of saving the world as you are putting it to good use instead of putting it in the bin!

TBH, opinion swayed me and re looking at the area, I was trying to get a Gallon into a Pint pot, with two Cottages, the Road and the River it was all a bit to much.

So this morning and an hour after Lunch, I've re visited the whole area, and I now just have the River and Fields and I'm sure once it's flocked  and some Trees added it will be much nicer, and blend in with the Fields along the back.

I seem to have a near vertical piece near the Lamp Hut, so will rectify that on Friday.

I'm out all day tomorrow so plenty of time for the Mod Rock and Masking Tape to set.

Now that's looking much better, as you picked up need to slope the railway embankment a bit more.......

Just need those swans and weeping willows!

Oh right, so you downed your Cornies and caffeine pills before swinging your ass over to the gym for half an hour.   :biggrin_mini2:

I hadn't commented earlier about cramming things in, but I like the fact that you are willing to grab a hammer & chisel if things don't work out.  On the prototype, less is more and yet there is a hell of a lot more detail around than we spot initially.

• Like 2

Great sculpting. It really is a very fast and effective way of building up the contours of the land. I had a roll of the woodland scenics plaster bandage and it's lasted ages. And packaging is free, with a little justification of saving the world as you are putting it to good use instead of putting it in the bin!

Scott, I've got through 4 x Twin Packs of Gaugemaster Mod Rock on this area, hahha, and still finished off with Masking Tape. haah

• Like 1

Looking good Andy. You can feel how the river and then the railway have cut through the landscape.

Paul.

Cheers Paul, the Cutting is starting to look more natural now, and really does look like it's been cut away for the Railway.

Now that's looking much better, as you picked up need to slope the railway embankment a bit more.......

Just need those swans and weeping willows!

Agh yes, the Swans and Willows, GIVE ME TIME, Kevin,  :O hahhahah I need some water first.

Oh right, so you downed your Cornies and caffeine pills before swinging your ass over to the gym for half an hour.   :biggrin_mini2:

I hadn't commented earlier about cramming things in, but I like the fact that you are willing to grab a hammer & chisel if things don't work out.  On the prototype, less is more and yet there is a hell of a lot more detail around than we spot initially.

Ha HA Larry, I did look in the mirror this morning and worked the eyebrows up and down, but just the once, I didn't want to overdo things, hahah

With the scenics, if at first you don't succeed, RIP IT OUT and start  again, :O but I don't need to tell you about that. haha :no:  :no:

• Like 1

lt's amazing what a sit down with a nice hot coffee can do to the inspiration, the additional scenery has transformed the layout Buddy well done, l knew you would come up with something....

PS Still thing a couple of over bridges would look good ?...

• Like 1

Hi Andy

Had a big catch up on this today. Amazing amount has been successful achieved by you. Very inspirational. Thank you.

I notice in one of your pics the lighting above the layout appears to be strip lightings.

They seem to give off an adequate amount of light for your layout.

I'm going to do something similar for my layout.

I'm thinking LED strips on the ceiling above. Positioning them above the edge of the layout and not directly above the centre of the layout boards. Is this something you would do or something different

Thanks Dan

lt's amazing what a sit down with a nice hot coffee can do to the inspiration, the additional scenery has transformed the layout Buddy well done, l knew you would come up with something....

PS Still thing a couple of over bridges would look good ?...

It was the CAKE wot did it mate, hahhah.

No more BRIDGES, I have 3 already, one either end of Dore End Station and one at Kings Moreton, so that's more than enough thank you. hahah.

Hi Andy

Had a big catch up on this today. Amazing amount has been successful achieved by you. Very inspirational. Thank you.

I notice in one of your pics the lighting above the layout appears to be strip lightings.

I'm thinking LED strips on the ceiling above. Positioning them above the edge of the layout and not directly above the centre of the layout boards. Is this something you would do or something different

Thanks Dan

Thanks Dan, As for the lighting, well I have two 8 ft Florescent's but the ends of the Layout are still a little dark in the evenings. I have some Spot Lamps from when I was in the Band, so I may stick a pair at each end. I like the idea of the LED's but I haven't tried any my self, but have seen them on enclosed Layouts at Shows.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Thanks Dan

Dan,

I think you will find that if you put the lighting on the edge of your layout you will find yourself in shadow when working on it.  I changed my 'normal' fluorescent tubes , with a modification in the wiring, with LED tubes and the difference is amazing.

Edit = LED tube comment.

Edited by PeterBB

It's been a busy day in TOPS today, I started the morning by cutting away the offending vertical bank at the Head Shunt, re profiling the area, new Masking Tape / PVA, and then a coat of Green / Brown / Yellow Ochre, and a re paint of the River Bed.

I've also been doing some Weathering jobs, but more of that later.

Here are some pics of Phase 2 of the River Cherwell and surrounding Fields.

post-9335-0-02842300-1506708050_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-14873600-1506708089_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-68791500-1506708128_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-15010400-1506708171_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-20229400-1506708214_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-17155600-1506708256_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Then late this afternoon I fitted a strip of clear perspex at the ends of the River bed sealed by PVA ready for the Varnish to go in once the PVA has set. I also fitted some River Plants, and other foliage along with some gravel for a couple of small islands in the River.

post-9335-0-16629100-1506708783_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-96966100-1506708814_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-13839400-1506708849_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-20091300-1506708895_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-42665900-1506708928_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-10712200-1506708965_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

I thought it had gone quiet, you where busy beavering away in TOPS.

Now you have reduced the height of the embankmant and are relying on scenery the whole area looks convincing and rural.

Keep up the good work

One of the Weathering jobs was an OO Gauge Hornby B1, and the friend wants almost pristine, pics of this job once it's done.

The other job was an O Gauge Ex LMS Cattle Wagon for my old Trebudoc Layout, the owner wanted it fairly well weathered, so I hope I've done enough with the Lime and Track dirt.

As it was.

post-9335-0-05032500-1506709475_thumb.jpg

And now.

post-9335-0-84286900-1506709509_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-37308600-1506709552_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-34598200-1506709591_thumb.jpg

Looking at the pics, I will add some more dirt to the support battens tomorrow.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 10