Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

Which brings up the question.  Which is more important (to the modeller), making the model or operating it?  I have yet to get my head around this one as I am really enjoying the making of it but am a long way off the operating of it.

At the moment I have no idea of the answer in my case, so I bash on with the prototype and will wait for an answer later.  I just hope the end result will not be a disappointment but if it is then I will have learned something.

(I remember listening to a motivational speaker in America saying that "you can always teach an old dog new tricks, it is fed up with the old ones")

TBH Paul, I enjoy both, which is why I have so many mates around for running sessions, it not only keeps the old Mojo working, but also we bounce ideas off one another at the same time.

I stopped working on the Layout after doing the main Ballasting, and then produced several Videos from running sessions. I'm now on a total break from the Shed since last Thursday, but will be back in there tomorrow for some weathering jobs. I'm then out all day Wednesday and will continue with the weathering jobs on Thursday, so Scenic work won't start again now until about Friday / Saturday, but then I'm looking forward to finishing off the rest of the Ballasting and then tackling something new again.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Which brings up the question.  Which is more important (to the modeller), making the model or operating it?  I have yet to get my head around this one as I am really enjoying the making of it but am a long way off the operating of it.

At the moment I have no idea of the answer in my case, so I bash on with the prototype and will wait for an answer later.  I just hope the end result will not be a disappointment but if it is then I will have learned something.

(I remember listening to a motivational speaker in America saying that "you can always teach an old dog new tricks, it is fed up with the old ones")

Hi Paul

Having built some layouts and exhibited them the building was the enjoyable part. If you click on Sheffield Exchange you will see a layout I didn't finish, having the house up for sale and then moving didn't help but my biggest problem was once I got it working it was too much fun to operate. It didn't matter the DMUs were part built. The trains coming in and out did so on a fully scenic layout in my mind......and to add to the realism I did the Cuffing and Brummming. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

The main object of this hobby is to enjoy yourself :sungum: :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive have you ever thought of making your own sound chips?

Hi Bogie

I have made chips that make a sound, that nice fizzy-bubbly sound as they fry.........in one of Mrs M's diets the deep fat fryer got thrown out, so no more chip sound.

I got quite good at battered fish, battered sausages and all types of fritters in home made batter. How I love apple fritters and custard right now, yum yum. Roast taters done in a deep fat fryer, scrummy. Boil till almost done, than drain off the water. place the taters of some kitchen towel to get as much water off them as possible, this is  safety thing as too much water on them will make the oil bubble over. In the fryer for a couple of minutes, crispy all over, wonderful. I even had a go at making my own crisp, using a good tater peeler take thin slices of potato, again place on kitchen towel to take some of the moisture off, or else they stick together and you a have raw thinly sliced spud. In the oil, again a few minutes only, lovely.  Master chef and my main tool got thrown away, and I am not allowed to buy another one.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

Hi Paul

Having built some layouts and exhibited them the building was the enjoyable part. If you click on Sheffield Exchange you will see a layout I didn't finish, having the house up for sale and then moving didn't help but my biggest problem was once I got it working it was too much fun to operate. It didn't matter the DMUs were part built. The trains coming in and out did so on a fully scenic layout in my mind......and to add to the realism I did the Cuffing and Brummming. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

That there Reginald appears to have witnessed one of my operating sessions. Diddly dumb, diddly dumb, diddly dumb....

At least your Sounds are as cheap as Chips mate, and you can rehearse them in the bath and try MALLARD sounds with your rubber Duck. hahhah.

Cheers Guys.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Paul

In his railway travel book "The Patagonia Express", Paul Theroux wrote that the journey should be as exciting as the destination.  I have always believed this, at least up until modern plane travel which has become quite the opposite.  I also agree that as the designer and builder of a layout, the finished article may already be well completed in his/her mind.

My greatest problem as been a constant moving of my belongings, from one continent to another and so on.  While in Texas I did build a layout as far as the scenic stage, running Southern Pacific steam and diesels.  The scenery was never applied.  So this time I decided on modular (take it with you) and also a strong desire to at least build one layout to its completion.  As mentioned before, it is often the good example of other RMWebbers that drives me on.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bogie

I have made chips that make a sound, that nice fizzy-bubbly sound as they fry.........in one of Mrs M's diets the deep fat fryer got thrown out, so no more chip sound.

I got quite good at battered fish, battered sausages and all types of fritters in home made batter. How I love apple fritters and custard right now, yum yum. Roast taters done in a deep fat fryer, scrummy. Boil till almost done, than drain off the water. place the taters of some kitchen towel to get as much water off them as possible, this is  safety thing as too much water on them will make the oil bubble over. In the fryer for a couple of minutes, crispy all over, wonderful. I even had a go at making my own crisp, using a good tater peeler take thin slices of potato, again place on kitchen towel to take some of the moisture off, or else they stick together and you a have raw thinly sliced spud. In the oil, again a few minutes only, lovely.  Master chef and my main tool got thrown away, and I am not allowed to buy another one.

I recently bought a hot-air fryer - it really does work and uses no oil, fat or butter whatever. Just hot air. [No shortage in certain parts of RMweb!] So far I've cooked chips, sausages and burgers with no disappointments. I think Lakeland may do one. 

• RMweb Gold

Basing a layout on a known location and then adding or subtracting things has been going on since time immemorial.

It is always up to the builder but you can lose the charm that attracted you in the first place. If you started off by saying I like the setting of say St Ives and imagine how it might have grown busier I can see the sense in that but to start off building St Ives then trying to put in an extra siding seems to me odd and often display a lack of understanding a layout where sidings are multi purpose can be more interesting to shunt if you have to move on wagon to get to another. Tail end traffic on passenger trains can also add shunting moves. 

I suppose Andy's choice of inventing a place to give the traffic he wants to run is more to my taste. For me the problem with real places is often compressing them down not adding more. I am drawn to Dolgelley in pre-group days it is far too long but is unique and it is hard to imagine where another might be built.

Don

• Like 2

I've also done a Lima Class 20 for Jeff / Binny, I've also removed the Motor as it will only run as a Dummy with a Bachmann Sound fitted 20.

Also I've removed the tiny Lima Buffers and fitted a set of Oleo's and it looks much better for it.

Here it is with my Bachy 20.

post-9335-0-24635300-1506014621_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-23478900-1506014641_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-84392000-1506014661_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-86797000-1506014679_thumb.jpg

I've also done a Van for him as well.

post-9335-0-30481900-1506014788_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 8

The ballasting is making a big difference to the overall look Andy.

Just a shame about that slab of magnet.  Could it be moved slightly away from the point then incorporate it into a foot crossing for a pathway to a small shunters hut/office between the goods line and the curved point?

The ballasting is making a big difference to the overall look Andy.

Just a shame about that slab of magnet.  Could it be moved slightly away from the point then incorporate it into a foot crossing for a pathway to a small shunters hut/office between the goods line and the curved point?

Nice idea Mick, but it's in and Ballasted now, but there is room for the Hut as suggested, so will have a look at some ideas tomorrow.

Cheers mate.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

I was going to say go for the cottage but you have already done so. Modelling prototype stations can be fun but it can also be restrictive they also usually need compressing as they are far too large. It does seem to be strange modelling somewhere then adding sidings to give more shunting best choose the right sort of place first. When you look at a layout and do a double take Have I been there / seen this for real? that's good modelling.

Don 

I suppose another take on this would be to see a layout and be convinced that it really had existed. I recall a comment by Peter Denny who had received an irate letter from somebody saying that they had visited Buckingham and couldn't find any remains of the Great Central Terminus, nothing, not even a wall left or a hint of one.

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've also done a Lima Class 20 for Jeff / Binny, I've also removed the Motor as it will only run as a Dummy with a Bachmann Sound fitted 20.

Also I've removed the tiny Lima Buffers and fitted a set of Oleo's and it looks much better for it.

attachicon.gifJeff's 20 and Vans (5).JPG

attachicon.gifJeff's 20 and Vans (7).JPG

attachicon.gifJeff's 20 and Vans (8).JPG

attachicon.gifJeff's 20 and Vans (9).JPG

attachicon.gifJeff's 20 and Vans (3).JPG

The 20 looks nice but surely both should be motored and fitted with sound. I am sure that two together sounded different to a single one. I used to hear a pair on an train of tanks most mornings between Wellington and Shrewsbury early 80s.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Don,

You are probably correct but I have had some problems in the past with consist  (probably me not remembering codes properly) so I can understand Andy's removal of the motor from one - it gives the 'true' operating effect with a Class 20 sound and most visitors would not notice any difference but would see two locomotives facing opposite directions.  Gaugemaster would need one of the two to be -1 so that forward would be reverse.

Peter

The 20 looks nice but surely both should be motored and fitted with sound. I am sure that two together sounded different to a single one. I used to hear a pair on an train of tanks most mornings between Wellington and Shrewsbury early 80s.

Don

Morning Don, I've tried a pair of 20's with Sound Chips and it just sounded like a louder version of a single chip in the confines of the Shed, and wasn't very nice at all, yet out in the real world they do sound different, I grant you.

I've also tried chips from 2 different sources  but couldn't get them to work at the same speed, also then, many functions were different especially the Horns, and as only the leading Loco would sound the Horn, that sounded wrong with 2 different horns sounding, and also some other functions worked differently, for example the SWD Chip has 4 Horns, No's 2,3,4,5, where as Leggoman does not and therefore make the other Horns unusable.

I'm more than happy with just one sound 20 out of the pair and can be heard on several of my Videos with the 20's on the Coal Train, and the Railfreight / LL Dummy on another Video.

Oh and also the cost of another 2 Sound Chips Don, hahhaha

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Morning Don, I've tried a pair of 20's with Sound Chips and it just sounded like a louder version of a single chip in the confines of the Shed, and wasn't very nice at all, yet out in the real world they do sound different, I grant you.

I've also tried chips from 2 different sources  but couldn't get them to work at the same speed, also then, many functions were different especially the Horns, and as only the leading Loco would sound the Horn, that sounded wrong with 2 different horns sounding, and also some other functions worked differently, for example the SWD Chip has 4 Horns, No's 2,3,4,5, where as Leggoman does not and therefore make the other Horns unusable.

I'm more than happy with just one sound 20 out of the pair and can be heard on several of my Videos with the 20's on the Coal Train, and the Railfreight / LL Dummy on another Video.

Ah well not everything works the same in model form.

Don

Ah well not everything works the same in model form.

Don

The strange thing is, I Double Headed my Jubilees (Howes sound in both) on our Club Layout last year, and they sounded great at full Chat with 12 in tow.

I will try some more Steam Double Hedders in the next Video.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifJeff's 20 and Vans (5).JPG

attachicon.gifJeff's 20 and Vans (7).JPG

attachicon.gifJeff's 20 and Vans (8).JPG

attachicon.gifJeff's 20 and Vans (9).JPG

attachicon.gifJeff's 20 and Vans (3).JPG

Do like the weathering. Interesting looking at the Bachmann and Lima 20s coupled together, how much better the Bachmann version is except for the windscreen wipers which look better on the Lima one.