RMweb

Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RosiesBoss said:

G'day, Halvarras,

This project did use part of a Tri-ang saddle tank:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/167158-gwr-28-“cleobury”-–-ex-cmdplr/

Unfortunately, like many other submissions, the images are gone, but here is the unpainted model:

1955943862_GWR2804213Sep2021.JPG.1e4be18606c43a59c0b7229a0f19bc4f.JPG

And here it is, finished:

1305940026_GWR2804918Sep2021.JPG.55884d1896c737705e45daf4d164bb36.JPG

For those not wanting to scroll through my earlier article, here is the major parts list:

• Chassis from Bachmann AT&SF H0 2-6-0
  • Smokebox from Tri-ang “Polly”
  • Saddle tank from Tri-ang clockwork 0-6-0ST
  • Tank filler from Tri-ang “Polly”
  • Lost wax cast dummy leaf springs (very old stock from scrapbox)
  • Lost wax cast chimney (Mansfield Models H0 scale NSWGR D50 class chimney)
  • Misc. copper and aluminium sheet
  •  Tri-ang buffers
  • Lost wax cast Ramsbottom safety valves (Mansfield Models H0 scale)
  •  Whitemetal whistle & pipes (from scrapbox)
  • Handrail knobs
  •  0.4mm dia phos bronze wire
  •  Clear glazing plastic

Cost of project: A$20.

For those wondering, this was a model of a little engine taken over from the Cleobury Mortimer & Ditton Priors Light Railway. Similar engines served also in private industry, such as that shown here: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_coll-locos053.htm

Happy days!

Regards,

Rob

That loco is excellent, I really like it.  Making me think!!!

Thanks for showing it.

Tony

5 hours ago, RosiesBoss said:

G'day, Halvarras,

This project did use part of a Tri-ang saddle tank:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/167158-gwr-28-“cleobury”-–-ex-cmdplr/

Unfortunately, like many other submissions, the images are gone, but here is the unpainted model:

1955943862_GWR2804213Sep2021.JPG.1e4be18606c43a59c0b7229a0f19bc4f.JPG

And here it is, finished:

1305940026_GWR2804918Sep2021.JPG.55884d1896c737705e45daf4d164bb36.JPG

For those not wanting to scroll through my earlier article, here is the major parts list:

• Chassis from Bachmann AT&SF H0 2-6-0
  • Smokebox from Tri-ang “Polly”
  • Saddle tank from Tri-ang clockwork 0-6-0ST
  • Tank filler from Tri-ang “Polly”
  • Lost wax cast dummy leaf springs (very old stock from scrapbox)
  • Lost wax cast chimney (Mansfield Models H0 scale NSWGR D50 class chimney)
  • Misc. copper and aluminium sheet
  •  Tri-ang buffers
  • Lost wax cast Ramsbottom safety valves (Mansfield Models H0 scale)
  •  Whitemetal whistle & pipes (from scrapbox)
  • Handrail knobs
  •  0.4mm dia phos bronze wire
  •  Clear glazing plastic

Cost of project: A$20.

For those wondering, this was a model of a little engine taken over from the Cleobury Mortimer & Ditton Priors Light Railway. Similar engines served also in private industry, such as that shown here: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_coll-locos053.htm

Happy days!

Regards,

Rob

Oh yes, there it is - I recognise the shape!

Inspired piece of modelling, an excellent result from such a random collection of bits 👍!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 26/10/2022 at 17:13, 41516 said:

Handsome Nellie upgrade on Hattons, Romford  wheels, cylinders, new chimney, handrails.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1000740/kitbuilt_kb2182_po_freelance_0_4_0t_68195_8195_in_lner_br_black_different_livery_number_on_each_s/stockdetail

image.png.b1e6f93890d537bc04e8687df80b1417.png

I did a similar conversion using bits out of the spares box; she certainly won't be winning any prizes but was a fun little project to do :) 

77s.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 23/10/2022 at 07:25, RosiesBoss said:

G'day, all,

Is this a Jintystein?

I have enjoyed modifying Tri-ang/Hornby models for a long time, as detailed in my contribution on 19 Sep 2022 here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/174446-tri-ang-locomotives/#comment-4945475

This model has been assembled from parts of many scrapped models including:

·         Tri-ang Jinty: Diecast main frame

·         Tri-ang Dean Single: Chimney, dome, outside bearings & springs for leading wheels

·         Mainline Dean Goods: tender body plastic mouldings

·         Tri-ang Nellie: coupling rods

·         Hornby Dublo Castle: Driving wheels

·         Airfix 14XX: Safety valve cover

·         Hornby 2721 class 0-6-0PT: Smokebox door

Before painting and lettering:

140883104_325105517Oct2022.JPG.847cadbd5ca37cff45c863d250274142.JPG

After finishing:

634328635_325106123Oct2022a.JPG.08ada45884aa25d14c55663d4bbada46.JPG

So, is it a Jintystein?

Details of the project may be found here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/175034-gwr-3232-class-2-4-0-kitbash/

Happy modelling!

Regards,

Rob

That is a work of art!!!
Chris.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Phew, just over a year later they're finally done! Bit of a story, got sidetracked yet again onto various other projects all year and trying to coordinate spare time, model readiness and weather conditions for outdoor varnish spraying en masse (Railmatch Satin), all other colours being hand-painted. As pointed out earlier these are more beautification than Franken-butchery, Nellie was my first engine in 1966 and carving her up into something else was never the intention. However, she may have got just a wee bit carried away in the make-up department.........

Blue was always going to be the colour and '7' the number, in the spirit of the original. This is Railmatch British Steel Blue but it looks darker than that on 37501 so I think I must have darkened it at some stage for another purpose - can't remember. I had an unopened Kemco waterslide transfer sheet of orange/black/orange lining which I picked up in the mid-1970s to rework a Tri-ang 'Lord of the Isles' which never happened. So that got used up alongside all of the bits, and is why I scraped away the raised boiler bands. The orange lining along the footplate is half of an orange/black/orange strip. Nellie has given up her plastic MTK buffers for a Lima Class 08 improvement task so now sports a set of Bachmann sprung ones instead! A tad OTT?! The tank vents are dome-headed track nails of uncertain origin and the spectacle plates are Tri-ang Hornby coach bogie rivets turned down in a Dremel (that was 'fun', the brass was much harder than I'd expected.......another of those 'have I bitten off more than I can chew' moments), glazed with material punched out of an X-acto spare knife blade pack using the same ancient leather punch as used for the dock shunter's axle box covers, filed down a bit all round to sit just inside the ring and secured with Johnson's Klear. Bonkers, but effective. Well, I think so! This is first time in maybe three decades that I've done this kind of lining (not much call for it on diesels) and I won't care if I never do it again........in fact I intend to avoid it like the plague!

17000798_Nelliefinishedfront.jpg.0b91526a14a3f2d4233d87f380151ae8.jpg

490034712_Nelliefinishedrear.jpg.b1aa37accbe5b31cfbc61b6b2aa1a8d3.jpg

As I'd always intended to do these as a 'matched pair' dock shunter Neville got the same livery treatment. I had an idea of how I wanted to apply the lining before scribing in the new engine room door outlines so left enough space for the upper wrap-around lining to pass above them and under the headlight (a triumph of forward planning, that!) The engine room door handles are formed from those (Bambi?) mini-staples superglued from the rear - as there is no clearance inside the body these had to be snipped off and ground flat with the Dremel - I'm surprised they all survived the attack! The vent thingy stayed put. The four marker lights were drilled out and Lima Class 33 clear plastic lenses inserted (these may have been left-overs from four 33-to-26/27 conversions I did in 1987!) SEF Flushglaze windows added and a black-painted false floor 2.5mm below window height inserted to hide the wiring etc (this is removable in case the glazing ever falls in). I did consider windscreen wipers, OK on the back windows, but the fronts......? If I'd just named him 'Nev' I could have stuck the plates on the cabsides instead of where they are now......

1357245713_Nevillefinishedfront.jpg.ea30bf5491dc88b26bfa5aaa1c4f2838.jpg

1249759433_Nevillefinishedrear.jpg.d321100a7dc53dfc4255424242fba1d1.jpg

Side and underside views of the 'primary' pair - Nellie is showing her white plasticard lead ballast boxes (ooh er missus!) Not much change to Neville's underparts......:

1316695082_NellieandNevilleside.jpg.562c2a3fda0f6a22d23bebcfad676fdf.jpg1650555418_NellieandNevilleunderside.jpg.5f1b8bb5f5eff4864d2704535a1a30ab.jpg

Regarding the 'secondary' pair, the Dapol Pug and off-topic scratchbuilt Barclay shunter - I couldn't find the 'before' photo to restore it above - here they are in Precision Paints Malachite Green named Midge and Mike (as promised, Mike!) Mike's whistle came from Nellie's chassis donor. More Bambi staples on display....... Midge employed the last surviving fragment of a sheet of 20thou black plasticard I bought in 1968 (to assist in the conversion of a Tri-ang Class 31 into a Class 47.......don't ask!) - it forms the motor-hiding 'missing' cab side screen on the other side.

1736031471_MidgeandMikeside.jpg.b668c64b4d6781c87f17520bc1f31655.jpg

Ah yes, the nameplates - more old stuff used up. Those on Nellie, Neville and Mike use spare Coopercraft signalbox nameplate backing plates, Midge's are scratchbuilt (and make the loco look even smaller!) All use Coopercraft lettering except Neville as the Ns and Es kept breaking so I had to resort to the remnants of a 1970s Slater's 2mm lettering sprue which luckily still had the correct letters available - the different font makes it look more alloy than brass so silver it had to be.

Thanks to this lot my stock of turned brass handrail knobs has been reduced to precisely one! 

Very crisp and clean models! 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Phew, just over a year later they're finally done! Bit of a story, got sidetracked yet again onto various other projects all year and trying to coordinate spare time, model readiness and weather conditions for outdoor varnish spraying en masse (Railmatch Satin), all other colours being hand-painted. As pointed out earlier these are more beautification than Franken-butchery, Nellie was my first engine in 1966 and carving her up into something else was never the intention. However, she may have got just a wee bit carried away in the make-up department.........

Blue was always going to be the colour and '7' the number, in the spirit of the original. This is Railmatch British Steel Blue but it looks darker than that on 37501 so I think I must have darkened it at some stage for another purpose - can't remember. I had an unopened Kemco waterslide transfer sheet of orange/black/orange lining which I picked up in the mid-1970s to rework a Tri-ang 'Lord of the Isles' which never happened. So that got used up alongside all of the bits, and is why I scraped away the raised boiler bands. The orange lining along the footplate is half of an orange/black/orange strip. Nellie has given up her plastic MTK buffers for a Lima Class 08 improvement task so now sports a set of Bachmann sprung ones instead! A tad OTT?! The tank vents are dome-headed track nails of uncertain origin and the spectacle plates are Tri-ang Hornby coach bogie rivets turned down in a Dremel (that was 'fun', the brass was much harder than I'd expected.......another of those 'have I bitten off more than I can chew' moments), glazed with material punched out of an X-acto spare knife blade pack using the same ancient leather punch as used for the dock shunter's axle box covers, filed down a bit all round to sit just inside the ring and secured with Johnson's Klear. Bonkers, but effective. Well, I think so! This is first time in maybe three decades that I've done this kind of lining (not much call for it on diesels) and I won't care if I never do it again........in fact I intend to avoid it like the plague!

As I'd always intended to do these as a 'matched pair' dock shunter Neville got the same livery treatment. I had an idea of how I wanted to apply the lining before scribing in the new engine room door outlines so left enough space for the upper wrap-around lining to pass above them and under the headlight (a triumph of forward planning, that!) The engine room door handles are formed from those (Bambi?) mini-staples superglued from the rear - as there is no clearance inside the body these had to be snipped off and ground flat with the Dremel - I'm surprised they all survived the attack! The vent thingy stayed put. The four marker lights were drilled out and Lima Class 33 clear plastic lenses inserted (these may have been left-overs from four 33-to-26/27 conversions I did in 1987!) SEF Flushglaze windows added and a black-painted false floor 2.5mm below window height inserted to hide the wiring etc (this is removable in case the glazing ever falls in). I did consider windscreen wipers, OK on the back windows, but the fronts......? If I'd just named him 'Nev' I could have stuck the plates on the cabsides instead of where they are now......

Side and underside views of the 'primary' pair - Nellie is showing her white plasticard lead ballast boxes (ooh er missus!) Not much change to Neville's underparts......:

1316695082_NellieandNevilleside.jpg.562c2a3fda0f6a22d23bebcfad676fdf.jpg1650555418_NellieandNevilleunderside.jpg.5f1b8bb5f5eff4864d2704535a1a30ab.jpg

Regarding the 'secondary' pair, the Dapol Pug and off-topic scratchbuilt Barclay shunter - I couldn't find the 'before' photo to restore it above - here they are in Precision Paints Malachite Green named Midge and Mike (as promised, Mike!) Mike's whistle came from Nellie's chassis donor. More Bambi staples on display....... Midge employed the last surviving fragment of a sheet of 20thou black plasticard I bought in 1968 (to assist in the conversion of a Tri-ang Class 31 into a Class 47.......don't ask!) - it forms the motor-hiding 'missing' cab side screen on the other side.

Ah yes, the nameplates - more old stuff used up. Those on Nellie, Neville and Mike use spare Coopercraft signalbox nameplate backing plates, Midge's are scratchbuilt (and make the loco look even smaller!) All use Coopercraft lettering except Neville as the Ns and Es kept breaking so I had to resort to the remnants of a 1970s Slater's 2mm lettering sprue which luckily still had the correct letters available - the different font makes it look more alloy than brass so silver it had to be.

Thanks to this lot my stock of turned brass handrail knobs has been reduced to precisely one! 

These are absolutely wonderful. The two blue ones put me in mind of term used by car enthusiasts - 'restomod' - restored and modified at the same time.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Do these count for this thread?

From this

gRaRH5a.jpgTo this

CuXyXg5.jpg

Bogies are narrowed ones from a Fenfa toy train set I got for a whole 99p

Nominally Sm scale, but as it’s freelance…

That's great! I have one of those from my first ever trainset but I think nostalgia prevents me from chopping it around

• Like 3

On 31/10/2022 at 18:53, Ruston said:

As the photos in my posts will be long gone I thought I'd add one of my Nellie conversions again. I seem to have lost photos of the other.

0-4-2T, based on a GER design.

image.png.d25946dc06e6069c58a03a8fe7752fa2.png

Good gravy is this pretty! I recall a similar and just as pretty outside frame 0-4-2t bash? 

On 05/11/2022 at 21:37, Halvarras said:

What can one say about these engines. Just Stunning

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/11/2022 at 13:26, cypherman said:

My little Pugstien made over lockdown. Built on a Hornby Pug chassis. Triang hall valve gear, Lima Crab boiler, plasticard and scrap box bits.

DSC_1059.JPG

DSC_1058.JPG

DSC_1057.JPG

DSC_1056.JPG

Any chance of taking the pictures again as it difficult to see as they are rather too dark 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this belongs here as it’s a piece of rolling stock and not an engine but I’ll share anyway! 

I’ve been working on a representation of W&U Tramway No. 9. A pint sized luggage van. 

E5FC3C95-0E18-4557-8EEF-6EA237CEAAD5.jpeg.87ca7e457ab8f47b2b8f5c6d31cebd2e.jpeg

Not quite finished yet but it’s coming along! I had the classic airfix brakevan and what I believe to be an airfix cattle wagon spare (falling apart from a lot I purchased) 

Quite happy with the result so far, even if it’s a bit inaccurate 

• Like 14

On 18/11/2022 at 12:39, splodgestudios said:

Not sure if this belongs here as it’s a piece of rolling stock and not an engine but I’ll share anyway! 

I’ve been working on a representation of W&U Tramway No. 9. A pint sized luggage van. 

E5FC3C95-0E18-4557-8EEF-6EA237CEAAD5.jpeg.87ca7e457ab8f47b2b8f5c6d31cebd2e.jpeg

Not quite finished yet but it’s coming along! I had the classic airfix brakevan and what I believe to be an airfix cattle wagon spare (falling apart from a lot I purchased) 

Quite happy with the result so far, even if it’s a bit inaccurate 

Delightful! I've been wanting to make something similar myself!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...