(ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Andy, you are not alone judging from the above, but (as you know) I lifted and replaced all the code 75 track I originally laid for Port Bredy.

Fortunately it came up easily enough as I had used diluted white glue to secure the ballast.

I felt a lot happier and the new code 100 went down as I wanted,. Painted and ballasted it looks good-with excellent running.

A pain to contemplate but well worth doing.

Hi John, completely off-topic and apologies to Andy for that, but I'm just curious what prompted you to go back to code 100 from code 75?

Thanks,

Al.

Al, I was anticipating that question. Really it's a matter of personal choice.

I have no great criticism of the product but it seemed flimsy, not as friendly to lay and when all done with painting and ballasting I couldn't see much difference to 100. I've used also without comment Atlas HO code 100.

.I'm not too "every detail and to scale" modeller. All I ever seek is the overall impression.

To my eye 100 gives me that and as my two recent Hintock and other postings, demonstrate.

I do take pains to lay the 100 properly in all respects as what I want with track, whatever it is, is excellent running. Any imperfections in the initial laying I don't put up with-they get promptly sorted.

• Like 2

Hi everybody, in response to the question of continuing with Trewithen, YES I WILL but not yet.

TBH I'm totally peeeeeeeeeeeeed off and I've lost a lot of the Mojo, Having had to take over £150 worth of Bull Head Track and Code 75 Points to the tip, plus all the wasted time with the building, wiring, planning etc, I just need a break from  fine scale at the moment.

Like John Flann, I'm not a fine detail Modeller, but I want it to look O.K. and so I too am happy with Code 100 for looks and toughness. When I had Glen Roy I was asked many time at shows if it was Fine Scale, and again as John alluded to, it's all down to good Rail painting and Neat Ballasting, and I'm happy with that.

I still have one Base board, and one day it will continue, until then it's going to have a long sleep.

• Like 1

I thought it was about time I brought you all up to date with Trewithen.

About a week or so ago after Ballasting the Track, things seemed O.K., but I had a few areas where the Ballast had swelled up above the Sleepers, this has never been an issue normally, as I would just chip it away, but as I used Ballast Bond, even when re wetting it would remove far more than I wanted, as it appears to be like a Latex.

In clearing away the area under the point, I broke the Point, no body's fault but mine, the wet ballast peeling away also broke some of the Point rodding, by this time I was loosing the plot big time. Oh and I'd already BROKEN the Bridge over the River. the re wetted Ballast had also got under a couple of Sleepers and so now I also had the makings of the Darjeeling Railway.

The simple answer was to lift all the Track, and re lay it completely, at the moment I'm not in the right frame of mind to contemplate this task, so the Boards have been put to one side for a rainy day.

I'm now concentrating on Kingsley Dale and preparing Stock ready for our Clubs open weekend next Sunday / Monday.

attachicon.gifAdvert.png

I am so sorry to hear about your problems Andy.  I'm sure you are doing the right thing by putting Trewithen on the back burner for a bit.  It will be well worth coming back to later when you are up to sorting it - those embankment views where the track bed is elevated above normal ground level look great and it must be a joy to operate.

Best Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Al, I was anticipating that question. Really it's a matter of personal choice.

I have no great criticism of the product but it seemed flimsy, not as friendly to lay and when all done with painting and ballasting I couldn't see much difference to 100. I've used also without comment Atlas HO code 100.

.I'm not too "every detail and to scale" modeller. All I ever seek is the overall impression.

To my eye 100 gives me that and as my two recent Hintock and other postings, demonstrate.

I do take pains to lay the 100 properly in all respects as what I want with track, whatever it is, is excellent running. Any imperfections in the initial laying I don't put up with-they get promptly sorted.

Thanks John.

Absolutely, both you and Andy manage to make code 100 look way better than just "presentable".

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Chin up Andy mate. It happens to us all from time to time. The lesson is to stick to tried and tested proven methods!

There's a pile of code75 ready and waiting to go down on Queensbury, it's a new path for me and I noted John's post with a pointer to caution.

Looking forward to when your mojo is fully restored.

Regards Shaun.

Hi everybody, in response to the question of continuing with Trewithen, YES I WILL but not yet.

TBH I'm totally peeeeeeeeeeeeed off and I've lost a lot of the Mojo, Having had to take over £150 worth of Bull Head Track and Code 75 Points to the tip, plus all the wasted time with the building, wiring, planning etc, I just need a break from fine scale at the moment.

Like John Flann, I'm not a fine detail Modeller, but I want it to look O.K. and so I too am happy with Code 100 for looks and toughness. When I had Glen Roy I was asked many time at shows if it was Fine Scale, and again as John alluded to, it's all down to good Rail painting and Neat Ballasting, and I'm happy with that.

I still have one Base board, and one day it will continue, until then it's going to have a long sleep.

Interesting thoughts on code 75, I was planning it for my next layout but if it's more fragile maybe code 100 painted and ballasted well might be better?

I understand your frustrations, track is not at all cheap!!!!

Andy, you did the right thing!  Whenever something like that makes you mad, walk away from it otherwise it'll be there reminding you all the time.  I've found you can never do good work when something like this irritates you.

Brian.

Sometimes it's best just to hold your hands up and accept it's not gone to plan.

My rule of thumb is and always has been, when it's not going right or in fact gone wrong, park it........, get on with something else and come back to it another day/week/month with fresh ideas and enthusiasm.

Long live Trewithen

Sorry to hear this Andy think it was a case of  'gone wrong going wrong' quite right to leave the idea at the back of your head mate.....perhaps bring it back next winter as a 'Cameo' layout for exhibitions be a good shunting puzzle which I know you like  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Scary stuff.

I am always a bit nervous doing ballast work and like to keep it really simple (diluted white glue as Mr Flann says) as ripping up track gets expensive.  I am so paranoid that I cannot bring myself to use Code 75.

Chin up as they say. Resist the temptation to do a John Cleese and give it a damn good thrashing.

Andy, will West Shed be at your show?

Best wishes

Nige

No Fraid not Nige, West Shed was Sold last year along with Porth Merryn, when I packed up doing Exhibitions. I will be running BR Steam with DCC Sound on Coopers Dale all weekend.

If you come along, please say hello.

All the best,

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Back on 10 April you said this layout was going to have a "long sleep".

In terms of Andy P time I would have thought 10 days constitutes a "long sleep" so what gives?

By the way in my part of the world we no longer refer to the "tip" - the dump (as I always knew it) is now called a "Resource Recovery Centre".

Edited by Bogie

• RMweb Premium

In terms of Andy P time I would have though 10 days constitutes a "long sleep" so what gives?

By the way in my part of the world we no longer refer to the "tip" - the dump (as I always knew it) is now called a "Resource Recovery Centre".

Anyone apart from me remember Stig of the Dump?

Cheers Guys, I don't remember any of that,but then I don't watch TV or go to the Movies.

In terms of Andy P time I would have thought 10 days constitutes a "long sleep" so what gives?

O.K. so it ALL went to the Resource Recovery Centre, all £150 of Track and some £30 of Ply and many man Hours of Labour.  :O  :scared:  :triniti:  :paint:  :scared:

I then spent the next two weeks trying to decide what, if anything I wanted from the Hobby. :scared:

I'm starting a NEW Project / MODIFYING AN EXISTING PROJECT that is not suitable for R M Web, as to many people will keep telling me I'm doing it wrong or not prototypical, but all will be revealed very soon. :sungum:

• Like 3