Little Muddle

KNP

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Many years ago in the early 90's I was having a pub re-thatched, The Chandos Arms in Long Crendon (I think it changed its name after being sold by Whitbreads) nearing the end of the job the thatcher asked me what was the landlords name.

At the next site meeting, handover, sure enough there was a peacock made of thatch walking along the ridge as that was the name of the landlord.

Asked why that had appeared he told me it was his trademark to find something that was relevant to the building he was working on, a name, a task, a trade item etc.

So, once I've worked out how to do thatch, will I need to do the same?

Lets hope the landlords name isn't Mr Brontosaurus, might overshadow the model some what!!!!

Hope its not BALLS.:scared:

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

One of the pubs in our village - the Dog & Crook - used to have a thatched roof.

Unfortunately, it demonstrated one of the problems with thatched roofs in that one night the thatch caught fire and burned the place to the ground. They rebuilt the pub, but in a much more modern style - and it had a tiled roof. They have a "before and after the fire" picture on the wall inside - a little different to the usual hunting scenes, etc.

Yours,  Mike.

• Like 3

On the way to Witney there is a pub called the Cock Inn, Combe to be exact.

I will leave the rest up to your imagination......!

Bet you'll 'chicken' out!

Edited by KNP
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, KNP said:

On the way to Witney there is a pub called the Cock Inn.

I will leave the rest up to your imagination......!

Bet you'll 'chicken' out!

Not to be confused with the woman who kept the Old Cock Inn, Tillet, Herts. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

This sort of juvenile humour is why they put a slate roof on the pub at Three Cocks Junction I'm guessing....:nono:

I thought of something far worse but chickened out! :jester:

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, KNP said:

Many years ago in the early 90's I was having a pub re-thatched, The Chandos Arms in Long Crendon (I think it changed its name after being sold by Whitbreads) nearing the end of the job the thatcher asked me what was the landlords name.

At the next site meeting, handover, sure enough there was a peacock made of thatch walking along the ridge as that was the name of the landlord.

Asked why that had appeared he told me it was his trademark to find something that was relevant to the building he was working on, a name, a task, a trade item etc.

So, once I've worked out how to do thatch, will I need to do the same?

Lets hope the landlords name isn't Mr Brontosaurus, might overshadow the model some what!!!!

I remember that establishment. I used to go past it early 2000's whilst exercising my constitutional duties to roam wherever I wanted to. By gum those were the days.:superman:

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Not far from my office is a thatched pub, with lots of nice oak beams and all the trimmings - this really impresses the visitors from our Japanese HQ who love the "traditional old English pub". We haven't the heart to tell them it's less than 25 years old...

• Funny 10

5 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Looking at the sweep of the roads in the area, the 'square' in front of the pub looks about right for a small town cross/ fountain / cenotaph / memorial statue.

What......but....but.....but this where my pictorial post is going!!!!

• Funny 5

That is seriously impressive work, it's making me want to model the terminus end of my branch line!

As  @Stubby47 beat me to it, I won't feel guilty for visualising a horse trough and pump out front (nothing too grand) and maybe horse mounting steps by the front wall...

I'll get me coat....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That is seriously impressive work, it's making me want to model the terminus end of my branch line!

As  @Stubby47 beat me to it, I won't feel guilty for visualising a horse trough and pump out front (nothing too grand) and maybe horse mounting steps by the front wall...

I'll get me coat....

So long as I get my pictorial post and sign!!!!

OK....

• Funny 4

44 minutes ago, KNP said:

So long as I get my pictorial post and sign!!!!

OK....

Nicely aged oak post I imagine? 

Can't imagine this kind of pub without one of those signs!

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3