Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

Given the era, would the barber have advertisedcad himself as Andy?

There might have been one of those stripy poles outside and mention of gentleman’s barber; in a rural community everyone would have known him as Andy but he would have wanted a professional facade.

Given the era, would the barber have advertised himself as Andy?

I never thought of that, I was Andrew to everyone, (especially Mother and Father) until about the late 70's when I was 25 / 27 ish and I met my first Wife and her Family.

• RMweb Premium

I love the Barbers shed, My GT Grandfathers coal yard had four of something similar facing the main road, I believe they contained, a bike shop, a tattooists, a shoe shop and a barbers..

I hope I can model them as well as you have..

I never thought of that, I was Andrew to everyone, (especially Mother and Father) until about the late 70's when I was 25 / 27 ish and I met my first Wife and her Family.

Even as an Andrew, he would likely have used his surname. It could easily be changed from Andy's to Sands', for example.

None of which detracts from the absolutely sublime modelling. It's this level of well-executed detail that shows the railway for what it is, part of a community.

Thank you for your comments.

I agree that perhaps a barbers pole is required and that the name is not really prototypical for the era.

However

For the answer to why it is called Andy's please refer to page 10 post 232........

I have done this trick before, here is a picture of a previous layout Encombe North built in the early 00's....

post-8925-0-61674100-1519905272_thumb.jpg

So I think I will copy that pole......

Nothing was ever done with this layout, spent years on it, never finished and it is now with my friend 'up north'..

Edited by KNP
  • Like 9

By removing the covered way building to the warehouse I was able to stand the camera there.

attachicon.gif1218.jpg

I see Ivy & Daisy are still putting world to rights.

Then I wandered past the coal office and looked into the goods yard

attachicon.gif1219.jpg

Quite a bit of activity must be trying to beat the snow!!!

I have probably said it before but I really do like the corrugated iron good shed. Different from what you see on most GWR layouts.

I've recently come across your thread and have been enjoying reading through the posts. What a beautiful and atmospheric layout. I absolutely love it :) .

One question if I may? Youve probably mentioned it previously, but what brick papers do you use? I've never been a fan of printed papers, but those on your layout, particularly the creamery look fantastic.

I've recently come across your thread and have been enjoying reading through the posts. What a beautiful and atmospheric layout. I absolutely love it :) .

One question if I may? Youve probably mentioned it previously, but what brick papers do you use? I've never been a fan of printed papers, but those on your layout, particularly the creamery look fantastic.

Thanks

From two suppliers - Scale Model Scenery and Scalescenes.

For the answer to why it is called Andy's please refer to page 10 post 232........

I have done this trick before, here is a picture of a previous layout Encombe North built in the early 00's....

Sometimes, even in the most prototypical layout, you need to have a little 'mcguffin'. Something that's there for you.

I have in mind a late 30's SR layout. But there's a certain 50's girl from Dart Castings that I fell in love with...and she'll be on the station platform, waiting for a train that'll arrive in around 20 years!

• Like 2

Stunning pics as always Kevin, thanks for brightening up my Cereal this morning.

Many thanks for that.

How's things with you and has the snow stopped you getting into TOPS, no mention of late of you working in the conservatory!

It seems to be skirting us, just a small amount fallen and was snowing a few moments ago but now stopped again I notice.

A few more pictures on the way as I have just finished merging them.......

• Like 1

Many thanks for that.

How's things with you and has the snow stopped you getting into TOPS, no mention of late of you working in the conservatory!

It seems to be skirting us, just a small amount fallen and was snowing a few moments ago but now stopped again I notice.

A few more pictures on the way as I have just finished merging them.......

As post on KM, I had about a 2ft drift against the Shed door so didn't venture out there yesterday, but we have the Sun out here this morning so I'll go and stick the heater on shortly.

Health wise I feel fairly good thanks. just about to do my exercises seeing as I can't get out and walk. 

• RMweb Premium

Health wise I feel fairly good thanks. just about to do my exercises seeing as I can't get out and walk.

You can see one of Andy's exercises in his avatar. :jester:

• Like 2

You can see one of Andy's exercises in his avatar. :jester:

Up, down, up, down.

Back and tilt, back and tilt.

More weight needed now as mug getting light.

Any chance of another brew dear, this exercising is thirsty work........!!!!!

• Like 1