Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to all that have posted a "like" to my recent post, I didn't think my photos would attract such interest. I have a handful more photos of the 378s from less than usual angles. I'll sort the best ones out and post over the weekend. I also have quite a lot of photos of the ELL infrastructure in various stages of completion. I'll also sort a few of these out and post in the Permenant Way, Signalling and Infrastructure thread for those that have an interest in this side of railways (I must admit to having a particular 'leaning' towards the "infrastructure" side).

Regards, Ian.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to all that have posted a "like" to my recent post, I didn't think my photos would attract such interest. I have a handful more photos of the 378s from less than usual angles. I'll sort the best ones out and post over the weekend. I also have quite a lot of photos of the ELL infrastructure in various stages of completion. I'll also sort a few of these out and post in the Permenant Way, Signalling and Infrastructure thread for those that have an interest in this side of railways (I must admit to having a particular 'leaning' towards the "infrastructure" side).

Regards, Ian.

Post away Ian.

I for one would be very interested and I'm sure I won't be alone, whether it's rolling stock or infrastructure.

If you've got a lot of both to post it might be worth your while setting up a new thread specifically devoted to the ELL.  Just a suggestion.  I'll enjoy them wherever on RMweb they're posted

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Post away Ian.

I for one would be very interested and I'm sure I won't be alone, whether it's rolling stock or infrastructure.

If you've got a lot of both to post it might be worth your while setting up a new thread specifically devoted to the ELL.  Just a suggestion.  I'll enjoy them wherever on RMweb they're posted

Regards

Hi 4630,

Thanks for your comments and suggestion, I don't know why I didn't think of creating a new thread. As the majority of the photos will be infrastructure related, I'll create a new thread in the Permanent Way etc., section as stated previously (but some will be of rolling stock).

Regards, Ian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi 4630,

Thanks for your comments and suggestion, I don't know why I didn't think of creating a new thread. As the majority of the photos will be infrastructure related, I'll create a new thread in the Permanent Way etc., section as stated previously (but some will be of rolling stock).

Regards, Ian.

Please put a link here so we can find it easily. Many thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Please put a link here so we can find it easily. Many thanks.

Ah! Is there an "idiots guide" anywhere that shows me how to provide a link in this post before I screw everything up?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, Ian.

Ah! Is there an "idiots guide" anywhere that shows me how to provide a link in this post before I screw everything up?

Ian, once you've created the new topic, highlight the web address for it at the top of your browser. Right-click and "copy". Come back to this thread and in a new post (or an edit of an existing post), go to the "Link" icon. In the box with the cursor, right-click and "paste".

post-17811-0-51623300-1510989365.jpg

post-17811-0-93711600-1510989370.jpg

Another "yes please" for the infrastructure and rolling stock shots.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ian, once you've created the new topic, highlight the web address for it at the top of your browser. Right-click and "copy". Come back to this thread and in a new post (or an edit of an existing post), go to the "Link" icon. In the box with the cursor, right-click and "paste".

attachicon.giflink.jpg

attachicon.giflink_2.jpg

Another "yes please" for the infrastructure and rolling stock shots.

Pete,

Many thanks for the guidance, much appreciated.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for showing just how small the cab is in the new stock the panel at the front looks very spartan and and cheap but I suppose thats how things are going now.

Indeed. Vast majority of the "controls" are push-buttons, and only two "levers" provided - and one of those is for the warning horn. Interesting that the speedometer and brake pressure gauge are still "analogue" dial types rather than some digital type display. I guess something's can't (yet) be improved upon.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed. Vast majority of the "controls" are push-buttons, and only two "levers" provided - and one of those is for the warning horn. Interesting that the speedometer and brake pressure gauge are still "analogue" dial types rather than some digital type display. I guess something's can't (yet) be improved upon.

Regards, Ian.

You've got to to be able to tap something when you don't believe the reading in an emergency, digital would mean rebooting the system and that takes too long...

It happens in all films......

Dave

Regards, Ian.

Maybe. But in the new Elon Musk (Tesla) cars, the only controls and indications (apart from the steering wheel, accelerator and brake pedal) are on a touch screen.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe. But in the new Elon Musk (Tesla) cars, the only controls and indications (apart from the steering wheel, accelerator and brake pedal) are on a touch screen.

Does that mean you have to take your eyes off the road in order to look at the touch screen to operate something like an indicator? If that is the case then is doesn't seem very safety conscious!

Regards, Ian.

Does that mean you have to take your eyes off the road in order to look at the touch screen to operate something like an indicator? If that is the case then is doesn't seem very safety conscious!

Regards, Ian.

Good point - don't know. I have not got $100,000 to find out.

• RMweb Premium

For those that may be interested and at the suggestion of "4630", I've just started a new topic called "East London Line". Hopefully the following link will work. If it doesn't please shout and I'll try and rectify.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128298-east-london-line/

Regards, Ian.

• Like 3

You've got to to be able to tap something when you don't believe the reading in an emergency, digital would mean rebooting the system and that takes too long...

It happens in all films......

Dave

The well=known 'Pressure adjuster!'

A few Javelin pictures? None in very good conditions unfortunately, but fairly unusual viewpoints.

From the departure lounge at Ebbsfleet:

post-6971-0-61263300-1511466131.jpg

In the Maidstone platform at Strood (Sunday engineering I think):

post-6971-0-11680900-1511466133.jpg

Under the Medway viaducts, with Rochester Castle in the background:

post-6971-0-19358500-1511466135.jpg

And one passing the old Rochester station:

post-6971-0-12542900-1511466637.jpg

(don't miss the third train, on the other side of the river)

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 13

Unusual vantage points, as you say, eastwestdivide, but good 'uns nevertheless. That third one by the Medway viaduct is beautifully framed. :)

Thanks - I'd gone down there to get shots of trains crossing the viaduct (with the vain hope of a simultaneous "over and under") when I noticed that the castle was visible from certain points. It was an early summer evening, and they'd not long started running Javelins to Maidstone West in the peak.

There's a lot of high and long viewpoints of the railways through the Medway Towns, for which you need clear weather and a long lens. Pity the freight isn't what it used to be, mostly now concentrated on the Maidstone W line and very little through Chatham.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I get to go to exotic places such as Lewes, Newhaven and Seaford now as well.  Occasionally they let me go further afield pretending to be an OBS to such exotic places as London Bridge....  Has to be said I don't miss going to Gatwick, Croydon and London, especially when rush hour was in full swing.