Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Premium

Apparently particularly outside of the morning and evening peaks, Southern 455's are going to become rare sights in some places where they have been common for decades from the May timetable change, Dorking to Horsham being one route already expected to become fully 377 operated as 377's become concentrated on London work so get pictures of them whilst you can.

Also from the same date the Watford Junction services are being made all eight car (2 x 4/377) so the 377/7's look set to be merged into a general user pool with the 377/6's.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is the first shot from the tall overbridge, just on the London-side of Surbiton?

Search on Google Earth for "King Charles Road, Surbiton" and then go up to the bridge where I believe the picture was taken from.  But the high fence today will make taking pictures difficult ...

• RMweb Premium

If you ever wondered what the remote platform 4 at Bognor Regis looks like in the rain at 05:50 on a Bank Holiday Monday morning, here you go:

40279481885_f0ba882906_b.jpgSouthern Class 313/2 313201 Bognor Regis 2/4/18 by John Upton, on Flickr

And a first for me, an eight car (or RLU) 700 White Motor at Littlehampton:

40282594115_025c0f14ef_b.jpgGTR Thameslink Class 700 700055 Littlehampton 2/4/18 by John Upton, on Flickr 

• Like 13

If you ever wondered what the remote platform 4 at Bognor Regis looks like in the rain at 05:50 on a Bank Holiday Monday morning, here you go:

40279481885_f0ba882906_b.jpgSouthern Class 313/2 313201 Bognor Regis 2/4/18 by John Upton, on Flickr

And a first for me, an eight car (or RLU) 700 White Motor at Littlehampton:

40282594115_025c0f14ef_b.jpgGTR Thameslink Class 700 700055 Littlehampton 2/4/18 by John Upton, on Flickr 

Very Darth Vader! What does RLU mean John?

• RMweb Premium

RLU - Reduced Length Unit - 8 Cars

FLU - Full Length Unit - 12 Cars

You will see diamond shaped stop car markers with 'FLU' and 'RLU' on them wherever the dreaded 700's doth pass.

RLU - Reduced Length Unit - 8 Cars

FLU - Full Length Unit - 12 Cars

You will see diamond shaped stop car markers with 'FLU' and 'RLU' on them wherever the dreaded 700's doth pass.

There's a third type of 700 diamond sign - 'ALL'.  That's the equivalent of the 'S' car stop marker

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately they can't use the standard stop car markers as the Class 700 coaches are a bit longer than standard stock which means at many twelve car platform stations - including Gatwick Airport amazingly - only the front eleven coaches are accessible.

Search on Google Earth for "King Charles Road, Surbiton" and then go up to the bridge where I believe the picture was taken from.  But the high fence today will make taking pictures difficult ...

Unless the holes I cut into it a few years ago are still there ?? - check street view

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone got photos of the Mid-Sussex from the 1960s?

Reading so far suggests that all regular trains would have been 4COR. And I certainly remember catching some of those between Sutton/Epsom and Victoria.

But would the all-stations Three Bridges - Littlehampton also have been 4COR?

And what about diversions for engineering works?

Has anyone got photos of the Mid-Sussex from the 1960s?

Reading so far suggests that all regular trains would have been 4COR. And I certainly remember catching some of those between Sutton/Epsom and Victoria.

But would the all-stations Three Bridges - Littlehampton also have been 4COR?

And what about diversions for engineering works?

The stoppers would more likely have been 2Bil/Hal-type stock...

• RMweb Gold

The stoppers would more likely have been 2Bil/Hal-type stock...

Well that's what I thought -  and there are some of those from Hornby going cheap at the moment. Just wanted to see if they would be legit or Rule 1?