Third-Rail EMU Photos

• 4 weeks later...

and the ex-Tyneside 2-EPB's were very rarely if ever seen on the SED of the SR

In their early SR days, the ex-Tyneside units were seen on the SED and there are photos to confirm. They then went to Selhurst and later to Wimbledon.

Although they had the shallow headcode boxes, they retained the earlier shape of cab end windows, ie not tapered, so their ends remained different to those on 4 EPBs 5357-70, 2 Haps 6147-73 and the 'Berkshire' 3H units.

2382585579_9642af6750_z.jpg?zz=12-EPB_5787_ClaphamJ_24-6-75 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

11139344404_2d3d264fac_z.jpg4-EPB_5369 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

2450482998_133e7ce619_z.jpg?zz=12-HAP_6163_Sittingbourne_26-3-78_m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 13

From the Medway Evening Post of 4 Feb 1980:

attachicon.gifRefurbishment 1980.jpg

I like the last paragraph.

Back in the day when the seats were comfy, you had leg room, and if the thing had past the carriage cleaning kit you might be able to see out of the window ... unlike today when none of the seats line up with the windows, so the train company don't have to worry about cleaning them ;)

• Like 1

Back in the day when the seats were comfy, you had leg room, and if the thing had past the carriage cleaning kit you might be able to see out of the window ... unlike today when none of the seats line up with the windows, so the train company don't have to worry about cleaning them ;)

Yes, except the seats they fitted to the refurb 4-CEPs back then were close to rock hard. Which can be OK if they're ergonomic and the train rides smoothly, but if it's an SR EMU in the 80s, take your own cushions! 

• RMweb Gold

Yes, except the seats they fitted to the refurb 4-CEPs back then were close to rock hard. Which can be OK if they're ergonomic and the train rides smoothly, but if it's an SR EMU in the 80s, take your own cushions! 

I am planning to start a small business venture with a retail unit on Brighton station selling or even hiring cushions for use on the new Thameslink trains, a bit like the foot-warmer hire system in Victorian times.  :no:

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

After our Thameslink train was cancelled this morning for second time this year due to faults, we had to stand on the next sevice. Whilst standing on the class 700 I was thinking about designing a very compact folding seat to use in all that standing space, or possibly an almost instant inflatable seat :sungum:

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

I get to go to exotic places such as Lewes, Newhaven and Seaford now as well.  Occasionally they let me go further afield pretending to be an OBS to such exotic places as London Bridge....  Has to be said I don't miss going to Gatwick, Croydon and London, especially when rush hour was in full swing.

Saw part of your route on Portillo, stations look very nice and it must be a pleasure on a sunny day to drive the route. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am planning to start a small business venture with a retail unit on Brighton station selling or even hiring cushions for use on the new Thameslink trains, a bit like the foot-warmer hire system in Victorian times.  :no:

Having travelled on one from East Croydon to Haywards Heath last week, I think I'll open an operating theatre to shorten people's legs before travelling. The leg space in the standard airline (non-priority) seats is ludicrously small. I am just over 6ft and, because it was before the evening rush and uncrowded, I spent the whole journey sitting diagonally across the pair of seats. The hardness didn't seem that bad for that length of journey, although I got the impression that there was a degree of shaping to the 'cushion', which may not suit every bum. Give me a 377 any time.

That reminds me, the driver of the 377 10:50 from Lewes to Victoria found that the Sun was at an angle that made his cctv inoperable. He announced that he would have to manually lock the doors of the eight coach train and apologised for the resulting delay to our departure. The Onboard Supervisor, who of course couldn't assist in this process, then came on the p.a. to announce the same thing and apologise again. After leaving several minutes late, the OBS then explained the delay a further two times. The platform is on a curve which makes at least half the train invisible from the cab. In the past the guard could position himself (very few female guards/OSBs in this neck of the woods) at the mid point of the train, step back from the train a few paces and see the whole train. There are no dispatchers at Lewes. Such is progress.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1