If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Third-Rail EMU Photos

As this thread appears to have gone completely OT - a Q .................

what then is the furthest it is possible to travel on mainland GB - north to south as the crow flies and from where to where - I could work it out but I'm not retired yet .....................?

Oh and here's a EMU for good measure

post-5198-0-06767800-1532437115_thumb.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I had to confirm the longitude of several places before acknowledging that much.

Given the huge amount of guff purporting to be fact that exists online, that is probably very wise.

As this thread appears to have gone completely OT - a Q .................

what then is the furthest it is possible to travel on mainland GB - north to south as the crow flies and from where to where - I could work it out but I'm not retired yet .....................?

Oh and here's a EMU for good measure

attachicon.gifDSC05708.JPG

An interesting O/T question...

But before we start, here is one are two of those dodgy looking EMUs at Clapham Junction. 

post-4474-0-90586900-1532515527_thumb.jpg

You don't say if your crow's 'journey' includes travelling over estuaries and other large bodies of water; or only over land. 

I started at Buckie on Speyside and going south from there does involve crossing the Firths of Tay and Forth; plus a bit of Morecambe Bay, and the Mersey and Severn Estuaries. 

This route reached the South Coast at Bridport, which I estimate to be around 600 miles. 

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 7

Some class 458 EMU coaches at Doncaster November 2014

15775570475_10dbe3256a_b.jpg[/url]

15590764520_c8df52242b_b.jpg

Jim

Isn't it that the Darth Vader fronted unit is a class 460 while the flat fronted Junipers were 458?

G

Isn't it that the Darth Vader fronted unit is a class 460 while the flat fronted Junipers were 458?

G

Being from a country far far away from 3rd rail land I don't know one unit from the other, I had to look up the Coach numbers to try and work out what class they were!!

As an aside to my photographs of the Manchester Bury units, another "record" must be how far any unit was towed away from its original area for scrapping.  Back in the early 1970s there were quite a number of SR EMUS scrapped at McWilliams Yard at Shettleston (on the south side of the Airdrie to Glasgow line).  I saw several units, including 2HAL, 2BIL and others there in the early 1970s

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit

G

The 460s went to Doncaster for conversion to extra 458s didn't they? Some 460 coaches were made redundant in the process.

The 460s went to Doncaster for conversion to extra 458s didn't they? Some 460 coaches were made redundant in the process.

The thirty four-car 458s had a TSOL added from the 460 fleet, making 30 five-car 458/5s. Six further 458/5 units were assembled from the remaining Class 460 vehicles, leaving four driving/luggage coaches, which were stripped for spares and scrapped.

In the photos above, 458 530 is an augmented Class 458; 458 532 is a 'new' unit made up from five Class 460 vehicles - the different style/size windows are the giveaway...

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

The Juniper units built for Gatwick Express with the “Darth Vader” front were class 460. Those built with the flat or “slab” fronts for SWT were class 458, later differentiated as 458/0. Most of the class 460 coaches were extensively rebuilt and then added to 458/0 units which grew from 4 to 5 coaches and became class 458/5. A few complete new 458/5 units were made up from the remaining class 460 vehicles

The ex-460 coaches can be easily identified from the original 458 ones. Ex-460 coaches have dark tinted windows with rectangular glazing standing proud of the bodyside panels. Original 458 vehicles have flush-glazed windows with radiussed corners in metal frames. And the carriage numbers of the ex-460 units do not match the set numbers as they do on the 458 coaches.

The “new” units also have no first class area whereas the strengthened ex-458/0 units have a small first class saloon with blue, not red, seats immediately behind one driver’s cab.

• RMweb Premium

Finding some of my better shots for the DMUs in the Landscape thread I started, I've also found more than a few EMU shots (after living in the heart of third rail territory for two decades).

Sorry about the dust from the scanner (and the small lens flare bottom left) but I always loved the light that morning at Ash.  This was a 4-VEP on a Guildford - Aldershot - Ascot shuttle, early 1997 I think.

post-29614-0-29194200-1532725178_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

The thirty four-car 458s had a TSOL added from the 460 fleet, making 30 five-car 458/5s. Six further 458/5 units were assembled from the remaining Class 460 vehicles, leaving four driving/luggage coaches, which were stripped for spares and scrapped.

In the photos above, 458 530 is an augmented Class 458; 458 532 is a 'new' unit made up from five Class 460 vehicles - the different style/size windows are the giveaway...

Really disappointed they haven't been called "5-GIN" .................................................. :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

Not a pretty shot but (taken at Brookwood on 25th March this year), perhaps someone can explain why a Class 458 was on an Alton service?  We never see them out this far, certainly off the Reading line.

post-29614-0-43364400-1532795097_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Not a regular working but I have noted a few 458s on Alton trips which service both as substitutions when the usual 450 is unavailable and as crew knowledge refreshers.  Class 458 is Restriction C1 Appendix A and can therefore work almost anywhere a Mk1-style vehicle could go.

I have, incidentally, also noted one Alton train worked by a 444 this year.  

They also work to / from EH works for attention periodically .................... on a filthy day last Sept at Worting Jn

attachicon.gifDSC05577.JPG

The more I see pics like this, the more convinced I am that my choice of Peco Code 83 for my main line track work, on a Kent based 3rd rail layout, is not completely insane.

• RMweb Premium

An unidentified class 455 approaches Wimbledon with an Up suburban service for Waterloo

post-3305-0-29316900-1533762159_thumb.jpg

Another unidentified 455 this time departing from Strawberry Hill towards Teddington in the first appearance of last winter's snow.

post-3305-0-39734300-1533762536_thumb.jpg

• Like 14