Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Premium

The headcode should apply to the ROUTE - whatever the service ......... so the bobby knows which way to send it when it approaches his 'box. 

The headcode applies to the TRAIN.  

If the train is taking an unplanned diversion it will (or should) show the headcode applicable to its booked route.  If the train is on a planned diversion then it will show the headcode applicable to the route it is taking.  In either situation the display of the appropriate headcode helps the bobby and station staff to quickly identify the train, its (intended) route and stopping pattern.  

To clarify and to recycle an example used above, Victoria - Gatwick Airport (non-stop GX services) were allocated headcode 20 which applied via the Quarry Line (Redhill avoiding line) but 30 for those few trips which were booked via Redhill for crew route knowledge purposes.  If a 20 was diverted through Redhill by the signaller for any reason it still showed 20 and did not change headcode.  Vice versa for a working which would normally show 30 but running via the Quarry Line perhaps because Redhill station was congested.  If, however, the Quarry Line was closed by engineering work and the service was booked to run via Redhill it should have showed 30 and not 20.

With snow on the ground and enough frozen to the unit pipes and couplers to be a problem I would hazard a guess that 62 has been diverted from its normal route possibly because of icicles in Strood or Higham Tunnels, or snow / ice affecting the conductor rails with Hoo Junction being rather prone to that due to its exposure on low-lying marshland.  That's also not the usual stock for a 62 so normal working was almost certainly disrupted quite significantly.  I would have expected to see EPB stock or at the very best Hap or Vep but not a Cep.

• RMweb Gold

Something a little more current, from earlier today.

One of the 5-WES units currently being repainted at BM Depot, before completing their refurbishment at Eastleigh. 

You'll have to take my word that this is 2416; no numbers or decals have been applied yet.

attachicon.gifP1150766.JPG

Suits them very well. Much nicer than the SWT red.

• RMweb Gold

Nice presumably BR Bedford HA(?) van poking its nose into shot on that last picture.  I think there is even one BR one preserved somewhere!

Well, at least it's not rusty! But nice and HA (whether Bedford or Vauxhall) are not words that I would normally expect to see together.

The headcode should apply to the ROUTE - whatever the service ......... so the bobby knows which way to send it when it approaches his 'box.

The headcode on the front wouldn't help the bobby for a train approaching the junction at Strood, where the signalbox was out of sight of the junction (i.e. over 10 miles away in Dartford).

...That's also not the usual stock for a 62 so normal working was almost certainly disrupted quite significantly.  I would have expected to see EPB stock or at the very best Hap or Vep but not a Cep.

Agree with Gwiwer about that CEP being a little unlikely for the North Kent. But around that date, stock allocation on the South Eastern did get a bit quirky. We even got the occasional CEP at Hayes.

By 1985 CEPs weren't so unlikely on the Woolwich line: the timetables had changed so that there was one '62' train per hour on the NK extending through from CX-Woolwich-Dartford-Ramsgate with first class conveyed, often a CEP.

I've other photos of those services, e.g. 

1985 Gravesend

post-6971-0-01866800-1523646916.jpg

1984 Northfleet

post-6971-0-83253100-1523646917.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 14

Yesterday at Crystal Palace station

attachicon.gif20180420_161807.jpg

That's scrubbed up rather nicely. Last time I was there, it had all the gloom and grime of a Dickens novel. That was a while ago though... Cough <30+ years> Cough...

post-17811-0-03542000-1524296705.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

According to Southern and other railway sources Reigate cannot accept longer than a 4-car Electrostar.  The photos suggest that a 5-car unit of class 377/6 or 377/7 would fit.  Is that the case?  Trains are diagrammed for 377/4 (which in practice may be a 377/1 or 377/2) but peak loadings would suggest a 5-car unit might be beneficial.

• RMweb Gold

I think the platform is just about 8 cars long but the signal position on the platform is possibly stopping it from being used as such.

Snap!

I was in Reigate today too.

Small world.....

Were you here for this in the afternoon?

post-1557-0-36529600-1524371826_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The other problem at Reigate is that the siding into which EMU's reverse occasionally if they need to clear the line for another westbound service to pass before heading back to Redhill is now restricted to only four cars long due to the condition of the track, the far end is completely knackered apparently.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The other problem at Reigate is that the siding into which EMU's reverse occasionally if they need to clear the line for another westbound service to pass before heading back to Redhill is now restricted to only four cars long due to the condition of the track, the far end is completely knackered apparently.

That might be the limiting factor rather than platform length as it has often been said that the direct trains to London cannot be more than four cars though Southern acknowledge this causes capacity problems.  Either time spent attaching / splitting at Redhill when working with a Tonbridge or Horsham portion or insufficient accommodation once East Croydon is reached causing overcrowding and extended dwell times there and at Clapham Junction.

It's been a few years since I visited Reigate station but my memory is of a platform rather longer than four-car length even allowing for the signal having to be set well back from the level crossing these days.

I think the platform is just about 8 cars long but the signal position on the platform is possibly stopping it from being used as such.

Were you here for this in the afternoon?

Didn't know about that....... :scratchhead:

There were a couple of guys on the platform with cameras and some by the footbridge. I only stopped to get a photo of the signalbox............

• RMweb Premium

I've just checked my track map plans and can confirm Reigate is 8 car on the up towards Redhill and 4 car on the down.  I worked a few shuttles there one day last year whilst covering an On Board Supervisor* turn and have to admit I thought the down platform looked a bit longer than that.

The siding being shortened was obvious however with a stop board placed about two thirds in from the weed strewn buffer stops.

[* On Board Supervisor (OBS) basically is what used to be a Guard on Southern 377 operated services but doesn't do the doors - what the recent hubbub has been all about.  Also does not have to sign any route knowledge hence why I (a proper full door operating guard who happened to be spare that day) wound up working trains on a route that I neither signed nor knew the foggiest thing about!]

Edited by John M Upton

Didn't know about that....... :scratchhead:

There were a couple of guys on the platform with cameras and some by the footbridge. I only stopped to get a photo of the signalbox............

I have a friend whose house backs on to the down slow just north of Redhill Station. Funnily enough he's always "in the garden" when anything unusual is running. :)

• RMweb Premium

Re Reigate, the Sectional Appendix lists the (operational) length of the platforms as: Platform 1 as 171.6 metres; and Platform 2 as 85 metres. However, it is interesting to note that the SA makes no mention of the length of the Down Sidings, either the 'original' length or the now 'truncated' length. Presumably this detail is recorded in the signal box instructions.

Regards, Ian.

(Yes, it has been a bit of a slow day in the office today).

Edited by iands

My 'office' for most of yesterday afternoon and evening:

41633006672_61847c9712_h.jpgSouthern Class 313/2 313201 Barnham 24/4/18 by John Upton, on Flickr

A splendid photograph with plenty of useful detail.

One thing that this photograph does reinforce, is my assertion that the corporate blue livery is far superior to the mish-mash of 'graffiti' liveries that are so common today. I personally think, that the best of the current liveries is that used by Grand Central, which to my mind is understated, whilst at the same time being classy. 

Davey

• RMweb Gold

Reigate last Saturday afternoon.

attachicon.gifP1160051.JPG

If I'd waited another 5 - 10 mins, I'd have seen a steam special. But I'd parked on double yellow lines and had people in the car. Some you win, some you loose.....

I briefly stood alongside those two chaps till someone walked right infront of me to take photos, so I decided to run to the footbridge just in time for Clan Line as I only had my phone to take photos.

A splendid photograph with plenty of useful detail.

One thing that this photograph does reinforce, is my assertion that the corporate blue livery is far superior to the mish-mash of 'graffiti' liveries that are so common today. I personally think, that the best of the current liveries is that used by Grand Central, which to my mind is understated, whilst at the same time being classy. 

Davey

Agreed .......... blue & grey looked very good - until they threw Exmover at it !

• RMweb Premium

I believe a special effort is being made to keep 313201 (also known as 'Bluey', 'Big Blue' or 'Thomas' as its blue, number 1 and lives in Brighton!) clean and this has now spread to the others where some deep cleaning of the bodywork has been undertaken recently.

• Like 3