2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium
Cheers Rich, Thats very interesting. I guess it was the onset and uncertainty of the impending privitisation that canned this lot. Word on the street now is that the Alstom Pendolino's are being considered for Intercity East Coast (and Great Western) instead of the - highly flawed - Hitachi Bi-Mode mega-cost train. Damn. I'm going to have to have my shoulders removed now.

There are lots of the other wonderful trains that never got beyond the BREL / Derby Research drawing board. How about an Electric HST? And maybe some electric version of the Class 58 to go with it. The Class 341 Crosslink EMU, Class 157 steel bodied version of the 158 for Strathclyde PTE? Somewhere I've got a list of the class allocations for proposed designs. Would certainly would make an interesting modelling / layout proposal- "the railway that never was" . . . . .

Last week it was my first ride on a Pendolino. Dark, dingy, cold and couldn't see out of the window (or pilbox slit?), hmmm. Give me a Mk3 any day. Indeed the 185 to Manchester was kind of better (but not quite a comfortable as a 158 imho).

I did read about a proposal for East Coast to use the mothballed new sets, until the 2012 timetable change on WCML. To check EMC compatibility with signalling, it was proposed to run set overnight and see what happens! Very scary thinking on todays railway (but kind of thing BR would have done) . . . . Modern Railway article suggested the other option is new Bombardier Traxx locos (once shrunk for the UK loading gauge) to run with the refurbished MK4s and DVTs.

BR already had a solution before the Class 89 - mk 3 set with DVT for ECML, namely an electric version of the HST, which was proposed as an alternative to APT (now there is a can of worms APT-W etc!) Seeing Brush can almost build an entire HST power car (only original bit must be the bodyshell?), the sensible solution would be let Brush build some new electric HST power cars, and a new build of Mk3s with power operated doors? - arrrgghhh I hear you cry, sensibleness on the privatised railway, that would be so out of fashion :nono:

Edited by richierich

Oh yes; that is the way to go. Congratulations.

What a joy it is to be able to sup real ale and then catch the train home. I'm going to do that from Worksop one Friday (when, I'm told, the 'railway lads' gather in the Mallard on the Sheffield/ Nott'm Platform). I shall ask the Guard/Conductor to PLEASE wake me at 36E so I don't end up in Lincoln sidings :nono:

Oh, it's Friday tomorrow................... (and then Saturday of course and Mr Cromwell through 36E again).

P

After all that, it turned out to be a Duff on the front for the southwards return.!!

And yes I did sup a lot of real ale, requiring 'the missus' to come and retrieve me from Newark Station.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So, that answers the mystery of Cromwell north but Bittern south on Saturday. Bittern is obviously having an extended kip at York!

Really looking forward to seeing her/it up the Gamston Sat night.

So is the new station bar any good or can't you remember? :boast:

P

So, that answers the mystery of Cromwell north but Bittern south on Saturday. Bittern is obviously having an extended kip at York!

Really looking forward to seeing her/it up the Gamston Sat night.

So is the new station bar any good or can't you remember? :boast:

P

The new 'York Tap' is fabulous.

Its in the wooden building that previously housed the model railway and has been tastefully done to look old and traditional.

There's 15 Real Ales to choose from, although I didn't try them all, honest....

Cromwell for me will be the one to watch, its one hell of a machine (we clocked 82 through Colton Junction, two years ago on the SSE)..... GPS never lies......

• Like 1

Not quite so simple I'm afraid. Hornby's 56013 was BR Blue, the real thing carried Coal Sector triple grey by the time of it's trip to Cornwall. I don't think Hornby have done a sector romanian 56 so a repaint would be required...

Rail Magazine published an article, written by John Vaughn on 56013's Cornish exploits, detailing it's workings which were as follows;

56013's visit to Cornwall took place on 27th February 1990. It brought a down speedlink to Tavistock Junction, then took 11 CDA's from there as far as Lostwithiel Down loop. Proceedings were then interrupted by the failure of 47815 on the Paddington to Penzance sleeper on the climb up to Treverrin Tunnel. The 56 was sent to the rescue and pushed the sleeper as far as Par. As there was nothing suitable as St Blazey at the time, the 56 then ran round and hauled the sleeper all the way to Penzance! After that it ran light to Burngullow and then to Drinnick Mill for clearance tests. From there it visited Trelavour, Parkandillack and Nanpean Wharf before returning to Par. Finally the loco ran light up to Goonbarrow, thence back to St Blazey to take the 2200 Speedlink back to the Midlands.

Another 56 to have visited St Blazey is 56044 'Cardiff Canton'. There was an event held there on 9th September 1994 to publicise the launch of Transrail, and '044' was one of the exhibits freshly adorned in Transrail livery. There is a photo of the loco there in 'Cornish China Clay Trains in Colour' by Maurice Dart.

Great News!

I've managed to aquire a 56 013!

Thanks must go to Richerich for advice and spotting one on Ebay (other auction sites are available)

I'll post some pic's when she arrives

Edited by Indomitable026

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sort of a Class 47 bodyshell, with an uprated EE16CSVT (Class 50) engine, on Swiss designed bogies. It was also the first production loco for BR with an alternator, but still used DC traction motors, which are similar to those used on a Class 46 . . . .

Sort of a Class 47 bodyshell, with an uprated EE16CSVT (Class 50) engine, on Swiss designed bogies. It was also the first production loco for BR with an alternator, but still used DC traction motors, which are similar to those used on a Class 46 . . . .

Mr '2manySpams' thinks everthing with a flat front and two windows is a 47!! I've come to ignore it over the years, although quite what he thinks the 22's are he owns is any ones guess. ha ha.

The 56 is now in the process of being stripped ready to be sent for painting.

Edited by Indomitable026