The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

57xx

• RMweb Gold

So, electric and fuel cell vehicles only. And yet they have cancelled the British round of Formula E for this year, and quite possibly next year too. Hmm

Ultimately, yes, but the latter remains an aspiration for now. If they did get fuel cell powered cars out at reasonable cost (existing +20% max) I, for one, will be on board as soon as they reach 3 years old, never mind 2040. My next car (or possibly the one after; I've already half decided on my next one) will be a hybrid if that doesn't come to pass.

I've yet to be convinced that Formula E does much for the image of electric cars for general motoring, having to use two of them to get to the end of the race reinforces the image of limited range. When they start doing it with one, without shortening the race, I'll sit up and take notice. 

Most of the latest electric cars will do about 200 miles on a charge, roughly twice what used to be typical, but I can't imagine that existing battery or motor technology has enough development headroom to double it again by 2040. What comes next is, I suspect, is undergoing very secret development, if it yet exists at all.  

John

• RMweb Gold

But I don't believe that's ever been (or ever will be)

available as a V8 (re the post I quoted)!

I hadn't noticed the poster art when I replied. Desert was the word that grabbed my attention.

A former classmate of mine once squeezed a Rover 3.5 V8 into what began life as a US Army side-valve Harley............

The current Bonnie has almost twice the displacement of the original, albeit still only a twin and Triumph also offer a road-going 2.3 litre triple for those with heavy metal tendencies.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

This is something I have never been able to understand. I have been driving for over 20 years and it has never been anything other than a necessary chore to get from A to B. The kindest description I would ever give of a car journey is "painless" but it is never something "fun".

That's how I used to feel, partly due to the Wife's underpowered car having typical Italian reliability and also seeing many bullies on the road who treated driving as an inconvenience that got in the way of playing with their phones or generally looking for someone new to argue with.

Then I had a revelation, with a lovely French Girl called Zoe. She's very clean and does exactly as she's told with minimal fuss (none of this silly clutching and changing gear nonsense), and is always ready when I get to her. Together we get our revenge on others, just set the speed limiter to a couple of mph over the limit (as verified by the Dashcam GPS) and floor it away from the lights. Other drivers are so jealous or confused once seeing the gap that has silently built in front of them that they feel the need to break the speed limit just to keep up and envelop us in a cloud of black smoke as they overtake in a vain attempt to prove their heroism....

Most of the latest electric cars will do about 200 miles on a charge, roughly twice what used to be typical, but I can't imagine that existing battery or motor technology has enough development headroom to double it again by 2040. What comes next is, I suspect, is undergoing very secret development, if it yet exists at all.  

John

The fact that Tesla are sharing their current technologies probably means they have something new up their sleeve, and the current fairly standard setup of a torquey direct drive motor is likely to be replaced by a two speed gearbox and smaller motor.

By comparison, motor manufacturers aren't developing the current Tier-6 Diesels any further, so by 2039 your dino juice burner will have a 25 yr old engine with just a few enhancements and just a few economy savings due to held back fuel development.

That's how I used to feel, partly due to the Wife's underpowered car having typical Italian reliability and also seeing many bullies on the road who treated driving as an inconvenience that got in the way of playing with their phones or generally looking for someone new to argue with.

Then I had a revelation, with a lovely French Girl called Zoe. She's very clean and does exactly as she's told with minimal fuss (none of this silly clutching and changing gear nonsense), and is always ready when I get to her. Together we get our revenge on others, just set the speed limiter to a couple of mph over the limit (as verified by the Dashcam GPS) and floor it away from the lights. Other drivers are so jealous or confused once seeing the gap that has silently built in front of them that they feel the need to break the speed limit just to keep up and envelop us in a cloud of black smoke as they overtake in a vain attempt to prove their heroism....

That's another thing about electrics that I can see myself enjoying. I like torquey vehicles, being of the opinion that a torquey power unit can do a pretty effective impression of a powerful one under the right circumstances where the converse is not necessarily the case. Max torque from a standstill sounds like a lot of fun. And, as I touched on earlier, my approach to enjoyable driving is much more about making progress swiftly and smoothly than anything else. Again, very suitable for electric power. So I may never get to own that V8 but something fun remains a possibility in the future.

As for the visceral appeal of big IC engines, I can see that point completely. I like it myself. But electrics can do that too, in a way. Not sure about road vehicles, but having stood next to a few big ball mills starting up with megawatt range motors, I can assure you that an electric motor can still make something go funny in the old chest :D.

• Like 2

floor it away from the lights. Other drivers are so jealous or confused once seeing the gap that has silently built in front of them that they feel the need to break the speed limit just to keep up and envelop us in a cloud of black smoke as they overtake in a vain attempt to prove their heroism....

That is so true!

You just zip up to speed with no fuss only to be almost rear-ended by some arse who's trying to un-shrivel his todger ramming his foot to the floor as hard as he can.

Edited by Guest

I can assure you that an electric motor can still make something go funny in the old chest :D.

So long as it's not EMP-ing your pacemaker...

That's another thing about electrics that I can see myself enjoying. I like torquey vehicles, being of the opinion that a torquey power unit can do a pretty effective impression of a powerful one under the right circumstances where the converse is not necessarily the case. Max torque from a standstill sounds like a lot of fun. And, as I touched on earlier, my approach to enjoyable driving is much more about making progress swiftly and smoothly than anything else. Again, very suitable for electric power. So I may never get to own that V8 but something fun remains a possibility in the future.

As for the visceral appeal of big IC engines, I can see that point completely. I like it myself. But electrics can do that too, in a way. Not sure about road vehicles, but having stood next to a few big ball mills starting up with megawatt range motors, I can assure you that an electric motor can still make something go funny in the old chest :D.

....perhaps there may be an industry dedicated to providing electric motor conversions for petrol and diesel cars. If the existing car is still alright, why not see if the method of propulsion can be changed?

• Like 1

....perhaps there may be an industry dedicated to providing electric motor conversions for petrol and diesel cars. If the existing car is still alright, why not see if the method of propulsion can be changed?

There is.

Whilst that may be the case, sooner or later most of us will want to go on holiday/visit relatives etc involving longer journies.

What are we supposed to do? Have a 2nd car for longer journies? 

Many families have a high efficiency commuter vehicle and a lower efficiency larger people mover (minivan / SUV / urban assault vehicle / whatever) already.

Perhaps rail will become a more popular option for longer journeys.

I've owned a two seater car for a long time. I rent something larger if I am going on holiday with more than one person. Given the relative rarity of my longer journeys with multiple people, it's not that problematic.

In any case your premise presumes that the range of EVs will not increase. By setting the target (like the EPA did for fuel efficiency in the US) the manufacturers will be challenged to better address the long range problem.  They have 23 years to do so.

• Like 1

This is something I have never been able to understand. I have been driving for over 20 years and it has never been anything other than a necessary chore to get from A to B. The kindest description I would ever give of a car journey is "painless" but it is never something "fun".

In crowded and largely urbanised areas, just so.

However, driving an RV on the broad and almost empty mountain roads of the Western cordillera of North America has been FUN on every occasion. Little traffic, scenery and natural wonders of the highest quality all about, and all from the comfort of an armchair with driving controls in front of it, in a small apartment that happens to be on wheels...

• Like 3