The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

57xx

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't just apply to electric vehicles, though. I was looking at a Triumph Bobber road test the other day. 1200cc bike, claimed mpg 50-ish, tank capacity 2 gallons!. The tester noted the reserve indicator came on after just 68 miles! 

That is pretty shocking, even my old RD400 could just stretch a 120 mile run on a tank. In full fun mode though, I was lucky to get 80 miles from the tank :D

We use non-fossil fuel to generate electricity then create vastly bigger problems with disposing of the waste. Only Johnny Privatecar is in politicians minds. Buses??? Lorries??? Lorries ferrying in goods from other countries???. Airplanes???  

My o/h and I were out today and having the exact same discussion about capabilites of lorries within the UK, vehicles (lorries and cars) from abroad etc. Unless the whole of Europe changes with us, when our petrol infrastructure goes, so will the foreign trucks and tourists who drive. I guess on the bright side we won't have to worry about being sideswiped by Eastern European trucks on the motorways anymore.

• Like 1

Calm down folks - It's the year 2040, not twenty to nine tonight !!!.

Brit15

Damn.

I fully believe that a)- Manufacturers are already ahead of the game and b)- the sales part of the motor industry will be perfectly capable of twisting the rules so recognised exceptions will still be able to buy dinocars.

So the Government in 2040 will buy every petrol and diesel car left on a scrapagge scheme ? .

Pure fantasy twaddle, until the electric car is viable they are living in fantasy world. The Nissan Leaf manages if you are lucky 100 miles on a charge = no thanks its useless, other than a town car .

I've taken a box micro layout to a show in our Zoe, it claims to have a calculated 64 mile range but the round trip was 68.

Despite it being a hot day, I got home with 29 miles remaining.

post-6819-0-30724500-1501093036_thumb.jpg

Some EV drivers see the driving/charging as a competition, a bit like hypermileing in a fuel car. But atitudes need to change, what's the point in a German saloon car managing 600 miles on a tank of diesel, unless you're planning to drive that far non-stop or are going somewhere 300 miles away without any filling stations en route....? At the very least you're wasting fuel carrying excess weight about.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Any one worked out yet what taxation changes will be necessary to make up for the massively reduced amount of income to HMRC from VAT and fuel duty?

• RMweb Gold

Pure fantasy twaddle, until the electric car is viable they are living in fantasy world. The Nissan Leaf manages if you are lucky 100 miles on a charge = no thanks its useless, other than a town car .

The Leaf dates back to 2011. It was the first mass production EV. Upcoming vehicles have twice that range. What do you think they'll be like in 2040?

Even the 24kW/h Leaf is perfectly viable BTW and I live in the countryside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The constant whining would probably get on my nerves

Ah! You need the 'Emergency Generation Device'.

It comprises of a metal pole, suitably arranged underneath the pedal generator.

Should the Prime Mover  (or, pedaller), start to flag, simply push into the nethers of said pedaller, and, hey presto! Instant results!

Ah! You need the 'Emergency Generation Device'.

It comprises of a metal pole, suitably arranged underneath the pedal generator.

Should the Prime Mover  (or, pedaller), start to flag, simply push into the nethers of said pedaller, and, hey presto! Instant results!

Or how about breeding 4 Kids, one peddling over each wheel. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

• RMweb Premium

The only surprise to me is why this is considered ambitious or unrealistic, the auto industry is already making its transition and it is accelerating.

For those who think it can't be done, the transition from steam to diesel took around a decade despite being a complete technical discontinuity with what had gone before.

• Like 1

Or how about breeding 4 Kids, one peddling over each wheel. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

I very nearly made a funny remark, but I realised I'd get into sooo much trouble. I think I'm already sitting on the naughty Step....

I couldn't stand the thought of them all whinging "are we there yet" in unison!

As a former street lighting engineer, I can tell you that the cabling typically used to to supply them is insufficient in terms of current carrying capacity to recharge a motor vehicle. The LED luminares installed today consume only a few tens of watts.

• RMweb Premium

The technology exists for in car charging on motorways but it does mean staying in one lane and upscaling and the manufacturers are no longer in business!

attachicon.gifMinic.jpg

Mark Saunders

I think Volvo have cottoned onto this idea , given the number I see cruising at 56.5mph in the centre lane of the M6

By 2040 it may be the battery will be a thing of the past, with super capacitors taking over, and some hybrid still to come. Announcing this well ahead gives time to arrange things and it will be sorted out. Technology advances at a huge rate and dilithium crystals may yet be a reality Scotty, with also other ways like heat engines and solar assisted vehicles in sunnier countries. The hydrogen powered cars are barely developed as yet, and would give the ranges required.

It will leave a very old Clarkson mumbling into his beer of course

Range and speed are issues, but quick charges as common as pumps or more will cure it.

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 3

I imagine that some sort of deeply immersive VR product will be required to substitute for the little black beemer that every 22 y.o. male currently aspires to, and the motorbikes that are the usual MLC treatment. (Quite a saving for the NHS when the inevitable crashes are harmless.) Business opportunity there...

Bet there's an app for that - or will be, very soon.

During the day, there will just be thousands of autonomous cars parked up instead, unless you just keep them cruising around empty.

How is that any different from every car being parked for the eightish hours per day that the owner is working?

I don't know what the average commute in Britain looks like. Let's say it's two hours per day and the owner is so tired after all that commuting it is hardly driven at all on the weekend.

Simple maths says that (2 x 5) / (24 x 7) = 6%.  We spend all this money and grief over something that most of us might use for perhaps 6% of the time!

Autonomous electric vehicle ride sharing radically changes the equation. As mentioned earlier, vehicles that communicate can negotiate higher density volume at higher safer speeds. A car-pooling option (if selected), based on knowing your destination can massively reduce the peak demand per vehicle. Homeowners don't need parking spots and high-street shops don't need to worry about parking. Not only that but we can rip up some of those asphalt oceans in corporate car parks and turn them into green spaces with proper trees scrubbing more CO2.

There are technical problems to solve of course. The cars need to scuttle off to charging stations. These could be distributed (all those unnecessary petrol stations would be a good staring point) and very efficient carousel approaches could be built (that humans could not accurately operate themselves) where you really need high density off-peak storage.

None of this is as fanciful as it sounds - we don't need them to fly or walk upstairs. Other than infrastructure, most of the technology is in place today.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure it'll end up like that in some parts of Britain where otherwise the situation would just be total gridlock.  It isn't what's required in much of the rest of Britain however.

Driving used to be fun - it often still is up here.  But so much that is Fun is being destroyed.  I'm not at all sure what Fun is going to be in 2040.  I suspect that much of it will be virtual, little will be reality.

DT

Moving the very young or the elderly with incapacity: anyone who has had to do this with any regularity isn't going to buy into the on-demand concept.

Perhaps such services are not common in Britain but in US cities 'dial a ride' services that cater to people with mobility issues are common.

Resulting from accessibility requirements in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, many public transit providers offered 'dial a ride' services (as an alternative to making their bus fleet wheelchair accessible) long before the likes of Uber and Lyft were available. 

So the Government in 2040 will buy every petrol and diesel car left on a scrapagge scheme ? .

.......and apparently if you travel at over 30mph in one Mr Stephenson's new fangled Rocket trains the forces on the body will kill you  :jester:

G'day Gents

Living in Australia, it's going to be fun if they bring in this BS. With the distances we have over here, there's not many places we'd be able to go with an Electric car, with hundreds of miles between towns, and I take a 22' caravan on holiday with me when I go away, I'd hate to think how for I'd get with that on the back of a EV..........500 meters  before a recharge.

And what about our 100 ton + road trains, how big a battery will they need.

manna