The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

57xx

• RMweb Gold

It sounds expensive, but all that is really required is a metered connection from a suitable supply, which might mean a bit of trench digging. It won't be too long before such considerations have to be included before planning permission is granted to new build sites.

I forget the name but there's a company making sockets that easily fit to lamp posts by replacing the cover. The sockets are simple and cheap. The company provides subscribers with a charging brick that handles billing. No digging required.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Telegraph is reporting that 10 new power stations will need to be built to provide the electricity. http://www.telegraph...rnment-unveils/

Sounds like a good time coming for the construction industry, electrical equipment and cable manufacturers. 

Ah! Forgot! This is a UK Tory Govenrment idea so they will get private industry (themselves) to draw up the plans at great cost, let others spend £m on tendering and training the staff then change their minds and cancel the job.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

I'll lay money that if we ever get into proper mass production of batteries for these things then obviously cost will be a big factor to keep them competitive for the consumer. It's not beyond the bounds of belief that they will then be produced in the 2040 equivalent of China where, perhaps, concerns about pollution will be less of an issue than in countries where the things will be used.

If that will be the case then one wonders what the net benefit to the planet will be....

• RMweb Gold

But if you move away from personal car ownership the car can take itself off to the next passenger and you don't need all the space in cities for parking thousands of cars all day.

But people will only give up personal ownership if autonomous cars are available more-or-less on demand. Unless society pushes economic activity (working, shopping etc.) away from the model that generates travel peaks at certain times of the day, the provision of vehicles will have to (at least) equal the number of cars we currently see standing idle outside of those periods.

During the day, there will just be thousands of autonomous cars parked up instead, unless you just keep them cruising around empty. 

I wouldn't bet on such a societal reorganisation happening any time soon, given the difficulty firms and organisations have in recruiting shift workers.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Which means extra vehicle movements on the roads. As well as that overall being less efficient (cars moving around completely empty) would it outweigh any advantages of such cars being able to use the road more efficiently?...

I bet that moves onto and off local charging points will amount to less consumption than present diversions and  'sole purpose' trips to purchase liquid fuel from a filing station, and that's without factors like queueing for the pumps with the engine running because a couple of twonks are experiencing a major crisis of indecision over their choice of crisp flavour in the paybooth...

But people will only give up personal ownership if autonomous cars are available more-or-less on demand.

That's a wet dream of the planners. Outside dense urban areas with large numbers of people under 35 with no significant tackle to drag around, it isn't going to happen. Just look at what people actually have in their cars. They are not going to want to remove and replace all the gear they have found useful to have by them every time they use a vehicle. (In ours it is more than I can easily carry in both total weight and physical bulk terms.) Moving the very young or the elderly with incapacity: anyone who has had to do this with any regularity isn't going to buy into the on-demand concept.

Exactly as with architects and town planners who should have been compelled to spend their entire lives in their worst products, we need legislation to compel transport planners to use their worst concepts for their entire lifetimes...

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 2

Ah! Forgot! This is a UK Tory Govenrment idea so they will get private industry (themselves) to draw up the plans at great cost, let others spend £m on tendering and training the staff then change their minds and cancel the job.

Let's leave party politics out it, eh. Otherwise somebody might mention, Labour/NHS/PFI......

I'll lay money that if we ever get into proper mass production of batteries for these things then obviously cost will be a big factor to keep them competitive for the consumer. It's not beyond the bounds of belief that they will then be produced in the 2040 equivalent of China where, perhaps, concerns about pollution will be less of an issue than in countries where the things will be used.

If that will be the case then one wonders what the net benefit to the planet will be....

"In the long run we are all dead...." - John Maynard Keynes

2040.....Bank holiday exudus to the your fav holiday resort, traffic jams, flat batteries and gridlock.  Wanna battery man? Not cheap. Wanna charge it up, only £100.00 including government fuel tax.  Hey man, they didn't mention that in 2017.   

The world produces a natural product every day... Tons of poo. Mind you, the price of a barrel of poo could soon shoot up.  Burn it to boil water and U got steam power! Have you ever smelled burning poo? Oh sh*t, not another Black Five....

:mail:

Edited by coachmann

2040.....Bank holiday exudus to the your fav holiday resort, traffic jams, flat batteries and gridlock.  

There probably won't be bank holidays by then. We'll all be at work as pensions have been scrapped in favour of working until you drop. And the rising sea levels would mean your favorite seaside resort is Peterborough.

• RMweb Premium

I bet that moves onto and off local charging points will amount to less consumption than present diversions and  'sole purpose' trips to purchase liquid fuel from a filing station, and that's without factors like queueing for the pumps with the engine running because a couple of twonks are experiencing a major crisis of indecision over their choice of crisp flavour in the paybooth...

Autonomous cars driving around empty would happen every day. Journeys to petrol stations do not, and do many people really make sole purpose trips to them, instead of filling up when passing one, or at the supermarket when shopping there anyway?

Anybody remember that BBC documentary from the early 70's that said by the year 2000 we would only be working for ten hours a week, but didn't mention we would need to work sixty to make end meet.

I suspect this is a similar prediction, slightly right, but the reality will be with a whole raft of things we never saw coming.

• Like 1

If you feel you might want an "alternative" car someday, either historic, kit built or handmade by a low volume manufacturer, might I respectfully suggest that NOW is a good time to buy.

As advances in technology threaten to bring driverless, petroleum-less, soulless motoring for our everyday practical needs, the demand for alternatives will increase for those who want to express their individuality, or tinker with stuff, or just relive experiences if the past.

• RMweb Premium

By 2040 it is projected that the population of the UK will have increased by about 10 million to nearly 75 million.  The vast majority of that increase will be in England, probably the southern part of England.  Increases in Scotland and Wales will be very much smaller, both in real and proportionate terms, and easier to contain.  I reckon that by then transport in southern Engand will have changed dramatically as the infrastructure just won't be able to cope with the number of vehicles that an increased population might normally be expected to use.

Now the UK gorernment usually has difficulty seeing beyond southern England and it will forget that the rest of the country does not necesarily share these propblems.  Rural dwellers, many of whom are in relatively remote areas, need to travel long distances for which electric cars, at least presently, are utterly unsuitable, particularly as charging points are few and far between and always will be in rural areas.  There will have to be more of them than petrol pumps as, of course, one only need to fill up with petrol every 400 miles or so and it takes five minutes whileas you're going to have to fill up with electricity more often and it'll take at least 20 minutes.  There will be no handy autonomous vehicles in the highlands or Snowdonia or, I suggest, most other areas away from the major conurbations.  And as for charging these electric vehicles, a friend of ours has a Nissan Leaf and seemingly needs to stop frequently at charging points, where it'll take her about 20/25 minutes to charge up, assuming that she hasn't got to join a queue.  People can of course trickle charge at home, but not if you live, say, in a terraced street where you can't be guaranteed to be able to park your car outside your house even if it was acceptable to have cables snaking out of houses across the pavement to parked cars (which it wouldn't be).  And of course that's assuming that there is sufficient electricity to charge your car - the grid is quite often near breaking point as it is.

The problems that this plan will cause would be considerably alleviated if rather than insisting on all-electric cars the government also accepted hybrid vehicles which, it seems to me, would be fine for everyone, rural and urban dwellers alike.

Anyway, all of this seems to stem from a European ruling.  As we'll be out of the EU in a couple of years, why do we have to pay any attention to it?

DT

Edited by Torper

So the Government in 2040 will buy every petrol and diesel car left on a scrapagge scheme ? .

Pure fantasy twaddle, until the electric car is viable they are living in fantasy world. The Nissan Leaf manages if you are lucky 100 miles on a charge = no thanks its useless, other than a town car .

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

So Mr ? lives in a Flat or terraced House, gets home late from work, plugs his Car into the nearest Lamp Post, and when he gets up in the morning he finds that a load of OIKES have been down his road and unplugged them all. :no:  :no:  :no: . The little old lady next door has tripped over his lead and is in Hospital with a Broken Hip and is suing him. His Boss has Sacked him for being late to work again. and his wife has forgotten to pay the last Energy Bill so he's been cut off.

Oh joy of Joys. :sungum:  I shall be 90, (I hope) so don't really care that much.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Horse & cart, anyone?

The self sustaining population is, I think somewhere, about 26 million. I'd guess we'll be losing a few here & there.

There is also a theory about social breakdown, when he population drops to a certain level, but I can't remember the formula.

Still, if we're a long way to 2040, there's still time for Bachmann to bring out the 94xx, and a better autocoach....

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is also a theory about social breakdown, when he population drops to a certain level, but I can't remember the formula.

Still, if we're a long way to 2040, there's still time for Bachmann to bring out the 94xx, and a better autocoach....

Ian

...but not a retooled Manor......