Railwells 2017

ullypug

• RMweb Gold

First time visitor, first impressions. Good show layout wise, trade must have been Ok too as I spent quite a bit and could have spent more. One reason I didn't, had to buy with cash as the non-working wi-fi meant at least one trader could not use their card payment machine so I ran out of cash! (Wife says blessing in disguise).  Downsides; multiple small rooms not good for viewing. 

Car parking - The Rly Modeller listing totally confused us over car parking as said it was free parking. Also as we don't know Wells we used the post code for the Sat Nav as given in that listing which got us stuck in the City Centre traffic loop as it was for the Market Place/Town Hall not the show car park. Eventually we did find a long-stay pay car park with one space left (Tucker Street) and as it turns out that was cheaper than the £3 Saturday charge on what I've now read on here was the show car park. If the show organisers read this perhaps next year's press release could be a bit clearer and give two post codes (Venue and Car Park as they differ). Ok, yes we could have read the show website in the days before; but it was a very late that morning decision to drive up to Wells for the day and the R Mod listing was what was to hand and what we used.

Overall, good day in Wells doing the show and Cathedral combination.

PS  The car parking issue raised is not the £3 - v - free issue as I understand car boot's etc., happen to change things at short notice it was the confusing post-code problem abandoning you in a maze of one-way streets if you are a newbie to Wells!

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyable visit to the show yesterday having created an excuse by delivering to a nearby customer.

Not only bought the Cameo Layouts book (never manage to get to Bath when Titfield Thunderbolt is open) but actually able to see some of the layouts in the book at the show. Loved Karl Crowther's Hebble Vale although perhaps not quite so much "grot" as there should be for a 1970s BR backwater.

Pleased too to finally get to see Sidmouth.

Wells is just such a special place. So it's nice to visit quite apart from the show. But I do wish they could find a more suitable exhibition space. Too many small rooms and not enough circulating space. I don't know any other venue that would allow so much to be squeezed into that space.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As usual, a thoroughly enjoyable day out. Railwells, although a quirky location in the shadow of the beautiful cathedral, does have a unique charm which would be lost if it ever moved to a different location.

The car parking in the field next to the Bishop's Palace has always been available free and a very pleasant short walk through the Palace grounds. This year there was a charge of £3 on Saturday which was something new (a new car boot sale I believe) but free yesterday.

We (DRAG) have a pleasant ritual each year, starting with an excellent breakfast in the cafe across the square and lunch in the hotel/pub next door. For Saturday visitors the 'street food' in the market square outside is usually excellent.

My particular favourite was St Ruth a lovely rendition of Penzance in 2mm finescale. Couldn't get near enough to take some snaps!

Why is it that those 2mm chaps can make their stock run like Swiss watches when l sometimes struggle in my chosen scale? :rolleyes:

'Sidmouth'

post-6728-0-04246500-1502695568_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-00181900-1502695590_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-93050900-1502695601_thumb.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

While I completely recognise the issues of space, circulation, temperature (sometimes)  etc associated with the Town Hall it would not be "Railwells" if it was not in that venue - in addition the Saturday market means we have a family day out including lunch in town as well - and where else do you get a wedding taking place in the middle of a model railway show!?

Great show btw...nice to see a few blue diesels in action.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick Thank You to Chris and the Railwells team for inviting Waterloo Street and looking after us for the weekend. It was an excellent show all round. Thanks also to Pete and Paul for helping out with operations and testing my dodgy trackwork with some quality locos.

Loved the tartan curtain with sporran.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent weekend again. Very impressed with the shunting on Waterloo Street, and also good to see the C&L stand up and running. There seemed to be fewer traders doing Saturday Night Fever/Appealing For Offside impressions with their card readers this year, but I remembered to bring enough cash this time so perhaps I missed that.

I really don't think it would be the same in a different venue. The positives far outweigh the negatives, for me at least.

• Like 1

While I completely recognise the issues of space, circulation, temperature (sometimes)  etc associated with the Town Hall it would not be "Railwells" if it was not in that venue - in addition the Saturday market means we have a family day out including lunch in town as well - and where else do you get a wedding taking place in the middle of a model railway show!?

Great show btw...nice to see a few blue diesels in action.

Chris

Couldn't agree more Chris - it just wouldn't be Railwells if it wasn't held in George Warleggans bank so long may it continue!

Not so sure about the blue diesels though..........

Gerry

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Excellent weekend again. Very impressed with the shunting on Waterloo Street, and also good to see the C&L stand up and running. There seemed to be fewer traders doing Saturday Night Fever/Appealing For Offside impressions with their card readers this year, but I remembered to bring enough cash this time so perhaps I missed that.

I really don't think it would be the same in a different venue. The positives far outweigh the negatives, for me at least.

Card reader issue was definitely there. Also annoying for visitors to find in a venue with free wi-fi signs displayed that, just like at Ally Pally this year, it had been either turned off or some other factor was stopping people logging in. 

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't agree more Chris - it just wouldn't be Railwells if it wasn't held in George Warleggans bank so long may it continue!

Not so sure about the blue diesels though..........

Gerry

I think if they've been in MRJ it's OK....

Car parking - The Rly Modeller listing totally confused us over car parking as said it was free parking. Also as we don't know Wells we used the post code for the Sat Nav as given in that listing which got us stuck in the City Centre traffic loop as it was for the Market Place/Town Hall not the show car park. Eventually we did find a long-stay pay car park with one space left (Tucker Street) and as it turns out that was cheaper than the £3 Saturday charge on what I've now read on here was the show car park. If the show organisers read this perhaps next year's press release could be a bit clearer and give two post codes (Venue and Car Park as they differ). Ok, yes we could have read the show website in the days before; but it was a very late that morning decision to drive up to Wells for the day and the R Mod listing was what was to hand and what we used.

Overall, good day in Wells doing the show and Cathedral combination.

PS  The car parking issue raised is not the £3 - v - free issue as I understand car boot's etc., happen to change things at short notice it was the confusing post-code problem abandoning you in a maze of one-way streets if you are a newbie to Wells!

The car parking in the field next to the Bishop's Palace has always been available free and a very pleasant short walk through the Palace grounds. This year there was a charge of £3 on Saturday which was something new (a new car boot sale I believe) but free yesterday.

Hi,

I go to Wells most years and I agree it's always an enjoyable show with some great layouts and traders. The location of the venue means that other members of the family are very happy to come along for a few hours of retail therapy and lunching whilst I visit the show so a win/win! I know it's easy for me to say, having been many times, but the car park direction signs seemed pretty clear and well located. I was caught out by the £3.00 parking charge yesterday though. It does say clearly on the Railwells website and in the first post of this topic (so not misinformation from the Railway Modeller) that car parking was free on the Sunday so I was surprised to find a chap on the gate collecting. I didn't query it at the time as I assumed I must have read the website incorrectly but I've checked since and it's quite clear. Clearly I'm not worried about the £3.00 but would be interesting to know how the confusion arose and I hope the money went to the Wells Railway Fraternity and not the owner of the field!

Mike

Hi,

I go to Wells most years and I agree it's always an enjoyable show with some great layouts and traders. The location of the venue means that other members of the family are very happy to come along for a few hours of retail therapy and lunching whilst I visit the show so a win/win! I know it's easy for me to say, having been many times, but the car park direction signs seemed pretty clear and well located. I was caught out by the £3.00 parking charge yesterday though. It does say clearly on the Railwells website and in the first post of this topic (so not misinformation from the Railway Modeller) that car parking was free on the Sunday so I was surprised to find a chap on the gate collecting. I didn't query it at the time as I assumed I must have read the website incorrectly but I've checked since and it's quite clear. Clearly I'm not worried about the £3.00 but would be interesting to know how the confusion arose and I hope the money went to the Wells Railway Fraternity and not the owner of the field!

Mike

It was for the car boot sale.

Thanks to all who worked so hard to make the show such an enjoyable one. Those who travelled from afar to trade or show a layout deserve all the plaudits being showered above. I thoroughly enjoyed the variety of layouts including the diesels, although I model in an earlier century! I love the friendly atmosphere and the venue. As I like a walk I parked on the outskirts of Wells and walked in, coming round two sides of the cathedral and into the square and all the delightful aromas of the cooking food stalls. What more could a body want? A great show as always. Looking forward to next year already!

Best wishes

Rich

PS Thanks for the enjoyable video SDJR88. Worth a replay from time to time to enjoy it all again!

• Like 2

Really enjoyable visit to the show yesterday having created an excuse by delivering to a nearby customer.

Not only bought the Cameo Layouts book (never manage to get to Bath when Titfield Thunderbolt is open) but actually able to see some of the layouts in the book at the show. Loved Karl Crowther's Hebble Vale although perhaps not quite so much "grot" as there should be for a 1970s BR backwater.

Pleased too to finally get to see Sidmouth.

Wells is just such a special place. So it's nice to visit quite apart from the show. But I do wish they could find a more suitable exhibition space. Too many small rooms and not enough circulating space. I don't know any other venue that would allow so much to be squeezed into that space.

Only been to Wells once while back home on holiday.  No train show but agree with other comments, though we were lucky to be there during a choir rehearsal after driving around and round in circles!

Brian.

Rail wells has to stay in it's present venue, quirky or not! Many congratulations to those who shoehorn it in

Great layouts this year - especially Southern. And SW Circle well represented too.

As a local I know parking is a problem. I park in Waitrose car park about 10 minute walk. First 2 hours free if you spend more than £15 - in Waitrose that is, Railwells expenditure doesn't count!

And thanks Callum for an excellent video which enabled me to relive it again.

• 2 months later...