The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

It's a total scandal that you didn't score full marks :jester:

Yes, it was unfairly skewed because they didn't stop at the top 10!

Obviously Americans made the list that long so that they could;d get on it.

Edited by monkeysarefun

Whoever created our planet must also have created snakes and, of course, had to choose somewhere to test them out and I wonder where that could have been... Then once satisfied with the results ( per citizen per snake per non survival of one but not the other ) other creatures with inbuilt destruction aimed at the two legged variety species - us -  and for no other reason than.....well I'm sure one day science will come up with an answer and along with why certain frogs for example carry enough poison to floor a  rhino yet live on a diet of bugs.

Allan

England has no poisonous anything because when life began it was decided not to introduce any because one day we would all be emigrating to Australia anyway where there would be plenty to go round. So, while Australia has the most poisonous of everything and anything, we have the M25. 

Allan.

Whoever created our planet must also have created snakes and, of course, had to choose somewhere to test them out and I wonder where that could have been...

But she also had a mean sense of humour and loves messing with our heads, for example:

Check out this picture, Eastern Australia, brown long thing - obviously an Eastern Brown Snake, completely mental and the second most deadly snake in the world.

post-22541-0-20635300-1506077895.jpg

So why is she so close to it and looking all unruffled?

Thats because its actually a Giant Gippsland Eartworm.

Edited by monkeysarefun

England has no poisonous anything because when life began it was decided not to introduce any because one day we would all be emigrating to Australia anyway where there would be plenty to go round. So, while Australia has the most poisonous of everything and anything, we have the M25. 

Allan.

Is that  a tank?

Is that  a tank?

Monkeysarefun, I love you like a brother !

No, mate. It's a permanently gridlocked motorway that circles London where the original idea was to ease the traffic flow in the capitol but what it really did ( after years and years of widening it then widening it again, then widening it again and again ) it ended up as the countries biggest car park and traffic cone storage center..

It's 75 miles all the way round, It's closed to traffic every 20 minutes or so because either a lorry has overturned ( in gridlocked traffic for christssake ???!!!) or an immigrant has been driving the wrong  way round it for the last ten years trying to find an exit and caused utter chaos as 15 helicopters, 38 police cars and a representative from Specsavers  come to the rescue in a combined effort to turn him round facing the right direction. 

Some people have driven onto it never to be seen again and, in fact, the government have now set up missing persons centers ( non disabled parking - sorry )  where for a small fee they will find the car but not necessarily the person that's supposed to be driving it ( gangs of wild dogs have been reported stalking the hard shoulders of the M25 after midnight ) 

Another great feature of the M25 is that you can walk round it twice as fast as any car can drive round it but it hasn't caught on yet.

So Monkeysarefun, I hope that answers your question (though every now and then we do get the lost tank or two that has accidentally mistaken the motorway for war training grounds )

Allan

M25 motorway in quieter times.

_38067382_m25x300.jpg

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 2

....It's a permanently gridlocked motorway that circles London ....It's 75 miles all the way round, ....

_38067382_m25x300.jpg

122.5 miles, I thought. I've never actually driven the full "ring", though, even though I live here but plenty of eejits still try to set records for the quickest circumnavigation....

Monkeysarefun, I love you like a brother !

No, mate. It's a permanently gridlocked motorway that circles London where the original idea was to ease the traffic flow in the capitol but what it really did ( after years and years of widening it then widening it again, then widening it again and again ) it ended up as the countries biggest car park and traffic cone storage center..

It's 75 miles all the way round, It's closed to traffic every 20 minutes or so because either a lorry has overturned ( in gridlocked traffic for christssake ???!!!) or an immigrant has been driving the wrong  way round it for the last ten years trying to find an exit and caused utter chaos as 15 helicopters, 38 police cars and a representative from Specsavers  come to the rescue in a combined effort to turn him round facing the right direction. 

Some people have driven onto it never to be seen again and, in fact, the government have now set up missing persons centers ( non disabled parking - sorry )  where for a small fee they will find the car but not necessarily the person that's supposed to be driving it ( gangs of wild dogs have been reported stalking the hard shoulders of the M25 after midnight ) 

Another great feature of the M25 is that you can walk round it twice as fast as any car can drive round it but it hasn't caught on yet.

So Monkeysarefun, I hope that answers your question (though every now and then we do get the lost tank or two that has accidentally mistaken the motorway for war training grounds )

Allan

M25 motorway in quieter times.

_38067382_m25x300.jpg

Ooooh - its a road!

post-22541-0-63678500-1506082847.jpg

Actually, Sydney roads look pretty much like your M25 which is why Tasmania beckons me

. The traffic here is pretty much a nightmare which is why its important  to have a hobby to come home to to help  unwind, -  whether its  modelling, or..

post-22541-0-04670500-1506082994.jpg

• Like 4

We don't get roo's on our motorways, Monkeysarefun, but quite often I've seen the odd cow ( she was thumbing a lift ) but in Wales sheep seem to prefer eating tarmac than they do eating grass.

Down South there's supposed to be some kind of black panther wandering around the moors and strutting its stuff on the roads but nobody other than American tourists have ever seen it.

Caravans are our greatest menace especially when they drive in convoy heading for a camp site that's only just round the corner from where they live. Horse boxes are another curse usually driven along at an agricultural pace  and gloriously represented by the slowest, gassiest heaps of ###### to ever grace our roads with  'Caution. Horses Aboard' daubed all over the sides, ends and fronts whether there are or not.

If there's a traffic crawl - which there always is - It'll have an ancient Volvo driver at it's head complete with cap, scarf and pipe driving flat out in first with the hand brake on.

The best drivers of course are the women who aren't afraid to drive flat out anywhere and especially in Tesco's car park because their husbands are there to bang out the dents if the Insurance Company refuses to.

My wife has left more of our car in Tesco's car park than there was when we bought it.

Allan

Wife parking at Tesco's

_97963492_van2.gif

Edited by allan downes

Here's an Australian fun-fact:

attachicon.gifsnakelist.jpg

Yes, it was unfairly skewed because they didn't stop at the top 10!

Obviously Americans made the list that long so that they could;d get on it.

I understand this thread is a bit of a lark, but if you correlated population density with snake habitat the reality is that the average Australian* will not likely encounter any of those snakes. I would go as far as to say that orders of magnitude more Americans live in close proximity to rattlesnake habitat than Australians do to any of those snakes.

* Not living on a cattle station or a lost Leyland brother.

Several of the top 10 snakes on that list are Tiger snakes with almost impossibly small ranges like Ravensby and Chappell Islands! I would accuse whomever created that list of over-counting subspecies. Just listing "Tiger snake" once moves everything else up three places. 

Worst of all of course are places like India where the relative population and snake density is very high.

This wikipedia page is interesting.

I will grant you this fun fact:

Australia is unique in that it is the only continent where venomous snakes constitute the majority of species.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's also the Macquarie Bank, I think. It's been in the news recently, for being involved in a slightly dodgy deal where it was able to effectively offload debt - £2bn of it - onto Thames Water and then walk away.

Did the same to the IoM Steam Packet.  Hence our huge ferry fares, trying to repay debt that wasn't incurred by them.

Allan.

Adders! :P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But she also had a mean sense of humour and loves messing with our heads, for example:

Check out this picture, Eastern Australia, brown long thing - obviously an Eastern Brown Snake, completely mental and the second most deadly snake in the world.

attachicon.gifworm.jpg

So why is she so close to it and looking all unruffled?

Thats because its actually a Giant Gippsland Eartworm.

If you think that's big, you should see the size of the fish we catch with it!!!!!! :sungum:  :sungum:

Mike

I understand this thread is a bit of a lark, but if you correlated population density with snake habitat the reality is that the average Australian* will not likely encounter any of those snakes. I would go as far as to say that orders of magnitude more Americans live in close proximity to rattlesnake habitat than Australians do to any of those snakes.

* Not living on a cattle station or a lost Leyland brother.

Several of the top 10 snakes on that list are Tiger snakes with almost impossibly small ranges like Ravensby and Chappell Islands! I would accuse whomever created that list of over-counting subspecies. Just listing "Tiger snake" once moves everything else up three places. 

Worst of all of course are places like India where the relative population and snake density is very high.

This wikipedia page is interesting.

I will grant you this fun fact:

Personally, I would have broken it down even  further -  beyond sub-species  into individual snakes, eg:

Tiger snake that was in my  back yard once

Tiger snake I saw crossing the road down near Lake George

Tiger snake I nearly stepped on when visiting the Tahune Airwalk in Tasmania.

etc etc.

That way we would have thousands of the top venomous snakes!

Being a balmy spring like 36 degrees here today, thoughts naturally turn to getting out amongst it in the bush and oceans of this great land of ours.

post-22541-0-67009000-1506167637_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-79036800-1506167657.jpg

post-22541-0-26121700-1506167683_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-64650700-1506167995.jpg

post-22541-0-62996700-1506168026.jpg

post-22541-0-70672800-1506168049.jpg

post-22541-0-20865700-1506168071.jpg

This one isn't seasonal, I just liked it.

post-22541-0-60027000-1506168104.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun

Did the same to the IoM Steam Packet.  Hence our huge ferry fares, trying to repay debt that wasn't incurred by them.

Over here the Macquarie Bank is known as the "Millionaires Factory". Since they don't actually produce anything useful the only way they can generate money to churn out those millionaires is to take yours.

Fun fact:  Our Prime Minister is an ex_mac Bank bloke.

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Gold

Personally, I would have broken it down even  further -  beyond sub-species  into individual snakes, eg:

Tiger snake that was in my  back yard once

Tiger snake I saw crossing the road down near Lake George

Tiger snake I nearly stepped on when visiting the Tahune Airwalk in Tasmania.

etc etc.

That way we would have thousands of the top venomous snakes!

Being a balmy spring like 36 degrees here today, thoughts naturally turn to getting out amongst it in the bush and oceans of this great land of ours.

attachicon.gifmagpie.jpg

attachicon.gifStingers-Warning-Sign-Australia-306x500.jpg

attachicon.gifcrocodile.jpg

attachicon.gifbeachwarning.jpg

attachicon.gifshark warning sign.jpg

attachicon.gifsnake.jpg

attachicon.gifdropbears.jpg

This one isn't seasonal, I just liked it.

attachicon.giffw.jpg

Hopefully if the little fat man with the funny hair sees this, he won't send his bombs this way as he will think 

we'all succumb to the local wildlife...........ho hum!!

Hope to hear from you all in a months time :angel:

Mike

Hopefully if the little fat man with the funny hair sees this, he won't send his bombs this way as he will think 

we'all succumb to the local wildlife...........ho hum!!

Hope to hear from you all in a months time :angel:

Mike

I think we're ok - they can't get our PM.s name right and he probably thinks we are Austria..

Though then again, our PM did make fun of the Donald in a speech a while ago so who knows what he thinks of us at the moment..

Edited by monkeysarefun