The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Perhaps its an upmarket version of America's Walmart?

https://au.pinterest.com/janetsanders162/walmart-wall-of-shame/

Or a  Bunnings?

Allan s there a sausage sizzle happenning  out the front? If so then its what we call a Bunnings.

Edited by monkeysarefun

In the same way that you didn;t know about boogie boards, I don't know what a Tescos is!  Is it a good thing?

It's a supermarket, Monkeysarefun, where thousands go by the hour to get ripped off.

Whilst we're on air mate could you tell me who this Oz guy was, absolutely hilarious and sang a song about a Farting Contest which, I think, was aired youtube. He also sang many other really hilarious songs and one to do with living next door to the then Oz prime minister where one of the lines went something like "...and with a roo on the roof..." Also a line I remember from the farting contest song was " If you can't make it into town, then send it in in a bottle "

Cheers mate.

Allan.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bunnings is coming to the UK. Sausage sizzles and all. Wickes better watch out. Cheaper Chinese hardware is on its way and with a slightly better level of customer service. Sometimes.

• Like 1

Bunnings is coming to the UK. Sausage sizzles and all. Wickes better watch out. Cheaper Chinese hardware is on its way and with a slightly better level of customer service. Sometimes.

Errm, Bunnings is already here, up and running. Branch at Apsley, Hemel Hempstead, has been going a while now.

Tesco had our shopping precinct raised to the ground then gridlocked the town for a whole year as contractors moved in to build a new Tesco.

Well some of the local businesses were more or less forced to close down, we lost our Co-Op, barbers shop, fish n' chip shop and a bank.

When all the dust had settled down and the new Tesco building was finished, it never opened and still stands empty today. But we did get a new, paved precinct and a couple of coates of paint.

Allan.

Edited by allan downes

It's a supermarket, Monkeysarefun, where thousands go by the hour to get ripped off.

Whilst we're on air mate could you tell me who this Oz guy was, absolutely hilarious and sang a song about a Farting Contest which, I think, was aired youtube. He also sang many other really hilarious songs and one to do with living next door to the then Oz prime minister where one of the lines went something like "...and with a roo on the roof..." Also a line I remember from the farting contest song was " If you can't make it into town, then send it in in a bottle "

Cheers mate.

Allan.

Ah, I believe you're thinking of Kevin Bloody Wilson - the bloke is hilarious.

I saw him live about 5 years ago - with the support act being his daughter, whose stage name is Jenny Talia from Australia... who is just as politically incorrect and hilarious as her dad!

Warning - not for the easily offended...and this one is quite mild :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Zuo2JtTdY

• RMweb Premium

Kevin Bloody Wilson is an Australian icon. Not rude songs but drinking songs. And just like drink they're not to everyone's taste. Me? I find some amusing, some witty, some are a wry look at life and a few make me cringe. That'll do.

• Like 1

In between Monkeysarefun, Bunnings, tescos et al. The animals are usually hard to find here in Aus. The reason most things will kill you is the weather... and it will do the most damage. In between being stuck in a 40degree day in a Sydney or Melbourne peak period before Christmas with no Aircon! It is one reason why the Aussies giggle at the animals as we are the only nuts ones to go out on days like that, we like laughing at ourselves. Usually the only people out wondering around is the tourists!

Recently the telly has been so bad our family has been watching dirty jobs with Mike Rowe who has been to Australia we found it really funny... not so much for Mike and his comments but the characters and the Aussie attitude. Eg the lady house owner having the brown snake removed, oh yes we haven't had many mice recently. Yeah right the brown snake had taken them out!

I'll let you YouTube dirty jobs Australia.... if your not giggling at the locals you've misplaced your funny bone...

• Like 1

Kevin Bloody Wilson is an Australian icon. Not rude songs but drinking songs. And just like drink they're not to everyone's taste. Me? I find some amusing, some witty, some are a wry look at life and a few make me cringe. That'll do.

Yet back in the 80s he was regarded as a national embarrassment by some...

As the man himself puts it - DILLIGAF!

• Like 2

Ah, I believe you're thinking of Kevin Bloody Wilson - the bloke is hilarious.

I saw him live about 5 years ago - with the support act being his daughter, whose stage name is Jenny Talia from Australia... who is just as politically incorrect and hilarious as her dad!

Warning - not for the easily offended...and this one is quite mild :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Zuo2JtTdY

Thanks, Mark.

Yeh, that's the guy I was thinking off but couldn't find his farting contest song anywhere- unless it was someone else who performed it?

Allan.

• Like 2

Cheers mate.

Allan.

Iirc, the title of the ballad is 'The Festival of Farts', from the 1990 'Let's Call Him Kev' album.

Edited to include extra info.

Edited by Ceptic

Thanks, Mark.

Went to your link and it came up "Sorry, video not available "

But many thanks all the same.

Allan.

Interesting - link possibly corrupted?

Anyway, the title of the song I tried to link is Kev's "Mick the Master Farter"

• RMweb Premium

I used to hate Brisbane. We used to go there on container ships and at the right time of year the harbour filled with jelly fish so that for the duration of a port stay the engineers were on constant duty swapping sea water strainers to empty all the jelly fish that clogged the things up. Just as you re-instated one the other in service one would be showing high dp and needed opening up. Fremantle on the other hand was fantastic, and I loved Adelaide and Sydney. The one that gets a bad rap but which I liked was Melbourne, it lacks the photogenic appeal of Sydney but if you put the stunning panorama of Sydney harbour to one side I preferred Melbourne.

• Like 1

Despite your assumption that we have a natural talent for naming things imaginatively, the truth is actually the opposite.

Two Mile Creek, followed shortly by Five Mile Creek etc.

James Cook started it all. When he ran out of prosaic names like Point Danger and Mount Warning (they go together) he opened his book of common prayer and came up with examples like the Whitsunday Islands (depending on the day).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two Mile Creek, followed shortly by Five Mile Creek etc.

James Cook started it all. When he ran out of prosaic names like Point Danger and Mount Warning (they go together) he opened his book of common prayer and came up with examples like the Whitsunday Islands (depending on the day).

But not as good as The Goodies, with their 'August Bank Holiday Island', because all the other public holidays had already been taken!

What, no Point Blank?

There is a Cape Blanco here in Oregon - but that was named by a Spaniard.  

Staying with Oregon for a moment, Cook was up to his usual standards here too, naming Cape Foulweather (self evidently prosaic) and Cape Perpetua on March 7, 1778.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2