The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Incidentally, snakes cannot hear. They do sense vibrations; in fact, they are very sensitive to vibrations, so if one walks heavily while bush walking, the chances are the snakes will clear off the path before one gets to them. However, snakes can get a bit territorial during mating season. I found this with some blue-bellied black snakes when I was camping along the Condamine River in western Queensland. They would attack if anyone approached within about 20 feet of them. I later identified them as being Small Scaled Snakes (also known as Inland or Western Taipans), THE most venomous of all snakes.

I also encountered quite a few red bellied black snakes, a very common type which, while venomous, is generally quite placid and not known to have killed anyone.

• Like 3

I've had a few snakes in my yard over the years, Brown snakes  are the most scary because they are mental, but then there was the Tiger snake that my partner would have trodden on if it hadn't seen her first and slid away,  and I did have  a red belly black that lived in my bird aviary in amongst  the rock  water feature that I'd made.

Theres always some old timer with a bushy beard and a roll your own cigarette  behind his ear who'll tell  you that if you have a Red Belly then you won't have brown snakes because they keep them away but its still a bit disconcerting to come upon one unexpectedly.

When I first saw it it  was basking on a rock,  so I called WIRES, which stands for something to do with wild life rescue  -  and 20 minutes later a girl looking like Lara Croft in a bikini with a shirt tossed over it and wearing big work boots  rocked up. She had been at a pool party when she got the call.

She tried to catch it but it vanished down a hole so I just put up with it until it eventually disappeared.

I had quails in the aviary but weirdly, it never harmed them - I think it was just after the mice. Even the quail eggs ( which they lay all around the place like chickens do) , were not touched.

Each week I'd clean  out the aviary, and carefully lift each rock until I found the snake, then keep an eye on it until I'd finished. It went away after a month or so.

My closest brush with danger was nearly stepping on a Death Adder in the NT. IF you are called a Death Adder then you have to live up to the hype so I knew he was serious!

This was at Pine Creek, just near the historic bakery. Heres a picture of it (the bakery, not the snake)

post-22541-0-97191000-1503317562.jpg

Imagine how hot that place must have got - a bakery in  a tin shed in the Northern Territory!

Apparently the US air force took it over  and used it as their own bakery in WW2. Those guys must have wished they were anywhere else - D-Day or whatever.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Incidentally, snakes cannot hear. They do sense vibrations; in fact, they are very sensitive to vibrations, so if one walks heavily while bush walking, the chances are the snakes will clear off the path before one gets to them. However, snakes can get a bit territorial during mating season. I found this with some blue-bellied black snakes when I was camping along the Condamine River in western Queensland. They would attack if anyone approached within about 20 feet of them. I later identified them as being Small Scaled Snakes (also known as Inland or Western Taipans), THE most venomous of all snakes.

I also encountered quite a few red bellied black snakes, a very common type which, while venomous, is generally quite placid and not known to have killed anyone.

We see many snakes on our property, mainly red bellied blacks but a few browns too, blacks are easy to spot and get out of your way very quickly.. just move away and so will they. Browns too, at least in my experience, unless cornered move off, more concerned about my animals than me.  I always wear protective gear on my lower limbs in warm weather(wellies,thick socks, heavy boots and thick trousers........not all at once!!). worst month was 15 red bellies and two browns, that was a few years ago and to put it in context we only saw two blackies last season. See many redbacks in the shed, quite proud of that tho.........they don't like dirty places!!! and again very placid, just don't poke and handle them.

To anyone contemplating a visit and I know this thread is a little tongue in cheek, don't hesitate, I came to this country 47 years ago and still wonder at the diversity and beauty of this land. I live on the Fleurieu Peninsular in South Australia(Google it!!) it is a superb place to live. Chris at High Level(great bloke) Googled it when I was discussing an order with him and in his beautiful Geordie accent said "it's just like England" which it is in Winter, except for the trees but the coast and the water are something special. So come and have look...............Oh and keep your eyes on your feet :angel: 

Rgds......Mike

• Like 5

Yes, for all the snakes and crocs and spiders there are parts that mirror Georgian England, particularly Tasmania. Thats where I'm headed at retirement when my work contract finishes in three years time.. Sell Sydney real estate and live like a king in Tasmania!

post-22541-0-49332600-1503320015.jpg

post-22541-0-03068600-1503320054.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yes, for all the snakes and crocs and spiders there are parts that mirror Georgian England, particularly Tasmania. Thats where I'm headed at retirement when my work contract finishes in three years time.. Sell Sydney real estate and live like a king in Tasmania!

attachicon.gifatdw-oatlands-56b275fd2880253d74c5de69-800x600.jpg

attachicon.gifoatlands-handmade-02.jpg

A place like no other on earth..............it is gorgeous.....happy retirement.

Mike

I'm suprised that it hasn't yet had a visit from our Jacob Rees-Mogg, Member of Parliament for the 1770s.

I googled him, he is maybe a bit like our Kevin Andrews?

Former cabinet minister Kevin Andrews has said same-sex relationships were simply “affectionate relationships”, the kind he might have with the members of his cycling group.

In contrast, marriage was a completely different institution that should remain between a man and a woman.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I googled him, he is maybe a bit like our Kevin Andrews?

Former cabinet minister Kevin Andrews has said same-sex relationships were simply “affectionate relationships”, the kind he might have with the members of his cycling group.

In contrast, marriage was a completely different institution that should remain between a man and a woman.

See post 90!

But what about the latest item?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-21/advocates-slam-anti-lgbti-poster-on-melbourne-street/8828566

That is exactly why politicians should get on with their job and have a vote in parliament. But instead the government can't even get their members to sign the forms accurately, when they nominate to stand. So far 7 appear to have failed the 'No Dual Citizen' test. How hard is it?

For me the highlight of this just finished  session was Malcolm Turnbull ripping into the greens because they were obviously shoddy by not filling in their election nomination  form properly, then days later the nationals get exposed too, and suddenly everything changes.

I'm thinking as automation and robots take over most of our jobs, then politicaians should be the obvious ones to go because most decisions they have to make should be logical ones, or based on already considered judgements that would be scanned into the national constitutional decision making computer. Parliament 2020 should just be an app.

• Like 1

....the government can't even get their members to sign the forms accurately, when they nominate to stand. So far 7 appear to have failed the 'No Dual Citizen' test. How hard is it?

To be fair, I don't think said politicians were even aware that they (still) had nationality from another country, given that they would have spent their formative years and much of their education within Australia only. At those ages, I think it is safe to say that very few would have been even vaguely aware of anything other than Australian citizenship. Very few kids give much thought to having more than one passport; some don't even apply for one until very much later.

• Like 1

To be fair, I don't think said politicians were even aware that they (still) had nationality from another country, given that they would have spent their formative years and much of their education within Australia only. At those ages, I think it is safe to say that very few would have been even vaguely aware of anything other than Australian citizenship. Very few kids give much thought to having more than one passport; some don't even apply for one until very much later.

That is true, but is it amusing to think that this whole thing started with a liberal friendly citizen going after the greens, The two green members straight away conceded they had broken the parliamentary rules and resigned. Malcolm Turnbull in turn could have been gracious and wished them all the best etc, but instead jumped up and down and rubbed it in that they had been shoddy in filling out the form.

Not very gentlemanly,

So when it came back that  HIS deputy prime minister hadn't done the due diligence to go and check if his Kiwi dad made him a dual citizen, then  he just looks a total tool. Then there are the three or four other members of his government in the same position..

My parents were born in the UK. If I was running for office, I'd at least look into what that made me. And after about 10 seconds googling I now know -  I'd be considered  British by descent and would therefore renounce that before running for office . Its not that hard, unless you are an LNP member obviously.

These idiots didn't go that extra step and now just bleat about how they didn't know so therefore  its not their fault. The same idiots that are enforcing strict compliance on social service recipients and denying THEM the same leniency that they expect.

....These idiots didn't go that extra step and now just bleat about how they didn't know so therefore  its not their fault. The same idiots that are enforcing strict compliance on social service recipients and denying THEM the same leniency that they expect.

....and that's before you start the whole thorny problem of the goings-on of would-be entrants to Australia in Nauru and PNG.....

....and that's before you start the whole thorny problem of the goings-on of would-be entrants to Australia in Nauru and PNG.....

Ouch! could be worse though. You could have mentioned our Cambodian solution. We rehoused 3 iranians and a Rohyngian bloke there and it only cost us $55 million  

A handy hint for would be illegal immigrants or valid refugees -  don't come here by boat. If you have 10 grand, don't give it to a people smuggler -  just buy a first class airline ticket and you'll be fine.

• RMweb Premium

Well I suspect these politics posts will get deleted, but Labor have a system where new candidates get properly questioned and get legal help to sort out potential issues. If one party can why not the rest?

.....Labor have a system where new candidates get properly questioned ....

All well and good, but what if they are still unaware that they might have more than just Australian nationality? It's going to take a while to drill down into the family tree, no?

• Like 1

Well I suspect these politics posts will get deleted, but Labor have a system where new candidates get properly questioned and get legal help to sort out potential issues. If one party can why not the rest?

To put the mods off the scent, here are some pictures  of the railway that runs between Queenstown and Strahan in Tasmania. Its rack and pinion in parts, Cut through the harshest environment back in the late 1800's to ship copper from oQueenstown.

Definitely worth a ride if you are ever in the area

.( Liberal candidates would still fail to tick the right boxes though)

post-22541-0-79104700-1503334270_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-90551400-1503334347_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-11137400-1503334550_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-70985800-1503334669_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I'm suprised that it hasn't yet had a visit from our Jacob Rees-Mogg, Member of Parliament for the 1770s.

You can have him with our blessing, and thats despite the fact that he's a distant cousin of mine. (Not distant enough as far as I'm concerned but sending him to Tasmania would be a start.)

You can have him with our blessing, and thats despite the fact that he's a distant cousin of mine. (Not distant enough as far as I'm concerned but sending him to Tasmania would be a start.)

No thanks. Australia might be the traditional dumping ground for the more embarrassing members of the British aristocracy (coincidentally we seem to see an awful lot of Prince Harry :D) but there are limits you know.

To put the mods off the scent, here are some pictures  of the railway that runs between Queenstown and Strahan in Tasmania. Its rack and pinion in parts, Cut through the harshest environment back in the late 1800's to ship copper from oQueenstown.

Definitely worth a ride if you are ever in the area

.( Liberal candidates would still fail to tick the right boxes though)

Many moons ago alright about 10 years, I had a ride on the railway in June (remember to rug up.... 3 to 6 rugs and preferably an electric one as well... it was freezing). But I had since heard it was closed for a while. I notice it is all open again. it has some great history and it demonstrates beautifully that nature can re mediate the damage caused by man. I still remember the beauty of the Huon pine forests, let alone the Huon blanket box I saw in salamanca place for $1100  which today I would just buy and figure out how to get it back to Melbourne! Definitely a trip that is worth taking. I still have the Bachmann wagon I bought in Queenstown and I just thought how nice the new wagons were. It wasnt even expensive compared to Melbourne model shops which can be crazy.