The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Two Mile Creek, followed shortly by Five Mile Creek etc.

James Cook started it all. When he ran out of prosaic names like Point Danger and Mount Warning (they go together) he opened his book of common prayer and came up with examples like the Whitsunday Islands (depending on the day).

Though I guess there was at least a bit of variety. That all changed in 1809 when Governor Lachlan Macquarie arrived and started naming things:

At the time of his governorship or shortly thereafter:

Many years after his governorship:

Institutions named after Macquarie:

• Like 1

Though I guess there was at least a bit of variety. That all changed in 1809 when Governor Lachlan Macquarie arrived and started naming things:

At the time of his governorship or shortly thereafter:

Many years after his governorship:

Institutions named after Macquarie:

This Macquarie bloke. Invented Australia did he - or was that God ?

Some wise guy  in my family centuries ago named any bump or hill after me - Dunstable Downs - North Downs - South Downs - Sussex Downs - Berkshire Downs and loads, loads more. Mum later added the 'e'  cos she was flash.

Wouldn't have it any other way. Natch.  

Allan.

This Macquarie bloke. Invented Australia did he - or was that God ?....

There's also the Macquarie Bank, I think. It's been in the news recently, for being involved in a slightly dodgy deal where it was able to effectively offload debt - £2bn of it - onto Thames Water and then walk away.

This Macquarie bloke. Invented Australia did he - or was that God ?

Some wise guy  in my family centuries ago named any bump or hill after me - Dunstable Downs - North Downs - South Downs - Sussex Downs - Berkshire Downs and loads, loads more. Mum later added the 'e'  cos she was flash.

Wouldn't have it any other way. Natch.  

Allan.

Just as down here, Windsor Downs is named after you in honour of your service to windmills.

Can you guess who  I feel sorry for? Thats right -  It  is William Hovell.

In 1824 Governor Brisbane, (who was named after the capital of Queensland) approached William Hovell and another explorer, Hamilton Hume, to organise an expedition south of Sydney to explore new grazing lands and to trace the flow paths  of the western rivers.

The official expedition fell through but these two blokes self-funded their own and opened up the southeast of Australia, and  had lots of adventures and wizard japes.

As a recognition of their feats  we got the Hume Highway, the Hume Reservoir, the Hume dam, the Canberra suburb of Hume, the electorate of Hume, the Melbourne city of Hume

All Hovell got named after him  is crap houses.

I've posted this elsewhere here, but because it is magpie season and the warning signs are out where I work (though the resident magpie only attacks the RAAF personnel who are wearing the blue camo tops) Here is another reason to fear coming to Australia, at least  in spring - the dive-bombing magpie protecting its nest..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

I used to hate Brisbane. We used to go there on container ships and at the right time of year the harbour filled with jelly fish so that for the duration of a port stay the engineers were on constant duty swapping sea water strainers to empty all the jelly fish that clogged the things up. Just as you re-instated one the other in service one would be showing high dp and needed opening up. Fremantle on the other hand was fantastic, and I loved Adelaide and Sydney. The one that gets a bad rap but which I liked was Melbourne, it lacks the photogenic appeal of Sydney but if you put the stunning panorama of Sydney harbour to one side I preferred Melbourne.

ME too, and I live in Sydney. My pick would be Hobart, probably because Chinese property developers haven't discovered it yet.

• Like 2

My partner who is like a detective - Sherlock Holmes or the lady from Murder She Wrote when it comes to tracing family trees  - has  for the last week or so  been following my fathers line.

She's found out lots of stuff so far but the most interesting bit for me being a bloke was finding out that my fathers fathers father (not sure what that makes him to me, I'm useless at this family tree stuff!) served  with the British heavy guns at the battle of Polygon Wood, -  which just  so happens to have its 100th anniversary  next week - Sept 26th.

-

The allied force was  made up of 7 British divisions and 2 Australian divisions so , I just thought that in light of that then  here is a fitting place to mention this - ,especially  given that the anniversary is next week.

The British band  The Tiger Lilies released an album putting  many of those tragic WW! poems of  Wilfred Owen and so on to music.

This is a well known poem, but this rendition gives it  a new life I think - I have to admit I'd never really heard what it was saying until I heard this

. Please give it a go,

. Lest We Forget.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just as down here, Windsor Downs is named after you in honour of your service to windmills.

Can you guess who  I feel sorry for? Thats right -  It  is William Hovell.

In 1824 Governor Brisbane, (who was named after the capital of Queensland) approached William Hovell and another explorer, Hamilton Hume, to organise an expedition south of Sydney to explore new grazing lands and to trace the flows paths  of the western rivers.

The official expedition fell through but these two blokes self-funded their own and opened up the southeast of Australia, and  had lots of adventures and wizard japes.

As a recognition of their feats  we got the Hume Highway, the Hume Reservoir, the Hume dam, the Canberra suburb of Hume, the electorate of Hume, the Melbourne city of Hume

All Hovell got named after him  is crap houses.

I've posted this elsewhere here, but because it is magpie season and the warning signs are out where I work (though the resident magpie only attacks the RAAF personnel who are wearing the blue camo tops) Here is another reason to fear coming to Australia, at least  in spring - the dive-bombing magpie protecting its nest..

Bloody Collingwood fans!

• RMweb Premium

I guess that's one off-licence I won't be visiting, then. In the past, I have resorted to hiding money inside my shoes in high crime areas such as Rome, rather than risk being pickpocketed.

I suppose its understandable in Rome.

Maybe it should be amoebae even!

You have to keep them out your nose because otherwise they travel up it and attack ya brain!

Here's an Australian fun-fact:

attachicon.gifsnakelist.jpg

Correct on amoebae - I meant to type the plural but missed the 'e'!

As for the poisonous snakes list, we scored 21 out of 25 there, so does that mean we passed the test? ;)   :jester: