Bargain Hunters Mark 2

I just wish I could have found Ian Allan when I was in Brum a few months ago. Gave up looking and went to Wetherspoons and found loads of bargains.  :D

I only had a vague idea where it was and wasn't going to spend all day looking. I think the building work that was going on confused me.

Jason

i've found it twice, both times on a Sunday when it was shut :(

Here it is from satellite. Just turn left out of the exit to the trams and it’s on the corner of the second street on the other side of the road.

PS I may be able to pop in next Thursday, will report on the bargains if I can....

post-31351-0-81109300-1539350962_thumb.jpeg

I didn't know that bargains in Brum were not allowed.

As I am obviously offending you I will stop putting them up.

Keith

Surely that's just as petty?

Life's too short.

Edited by leopardml2341

Can we have a Bargain Hunters - Birmingham thread so those of us who don't live there can ignore it!

I've looked for it, but you obviously haven't started it yet.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

I didn't know that bargains in Brum were not allowed.

As I am obviously offending you I will stop putting them up.

Keith

Keep posting Keith

This is for bargain hunters and we don’t cry when the bargains are not on our doorstep

Edited by andymac-2008
  • Like 3

I’m not sure if it’s a permanent staple of their range, but my local Poundland in Norwich Riverside has car primer aerosols in stock, which I’d not seen before. They have black in both matte and satin, and I tried out their matte grey. Their grey is a good match for roof grey to my eye - I used it to spray the roofs of my Gresley Teaks to represent post-war condition. Can’t go wrong for £1, and it’s almost £6 cheaper per can than the Halfords equivalents!

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but TheModelCentre have a 20th anniversary sale on with a variety of discounts, some up to 50% apparently

Sound fitted Bachmann EWS TMC Weathered 66s down from £302 to £241, Hornby N15 down from £199 to £162, Bachmann Narrow Gauge Baldwin WW1 ROD down from £154 to £123 ... just examples.

https://www.themodelcentre.com/search.php?search_query=BARGAIN&sort=pricedesc&x=0&y=0&mc_cid=daed73fa4d&mc_eid=8755dd1d8a

No connection, just thought it might help somebody!

Just found Loctite 60 second glue reduced to £3 in Sainsburys (Harrogate) clearance section, presumably same applies to other stores

Only in those stores that are shutting. There's probably a few weeks yet before they actually close.

Sorry, I was thinking of Homebase (that shows my age a bit, they used to be the same company).

Edited by Buhar

Around this time of year The Works has some good offers for cheap wall calenders, of which they stock a range addressing most tastes.

They have a "Steam Trains 2019" for £3 which comes with an A5 desk diary, making it even better value!

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/calendar-and-diary-set/steam-trains-2019-calendar-and-diary-set/5060473136892

Each month has a large photo of a loco on one side of the fold, the other reasonably large day boxes.  Cover photo of the calendar and the diary (and August) is of LNWR Webb Coal Tank 1054.

As they stock crafty items too, its also well worth having a root about for stuff that might bs useful in a modelling context.

There's also a "Steam Trains - Heritage" calender which has "historical" photos for £3, but doesn't have the diary.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/2019-calendars/steam-trains---heritage-calendar-2019/9781786649003

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

Eh? That store is certainly not shutting - it has always had a clearance section

Sorry BH I got confused with Sainsbury's, ever since they were linked brands I've got Sainsburys-Homebase stuck together.

I’m not sure if it’s a permanent staple of their range, but my local Poundland in Norwich Riverside has car primer aerosols in stock...

Would you kindly post a picture of the aerosol cans please? I've been to the local Poundland in Twickenham and also one in S.Wales over the weekend and cannot see any in stock. Maybe they are all sold out, or just not in the two stores I visited, but then again maybe I'm not looking in the right area, hence my polite request so that I know what to look out for.

In my local Poundland it's with the Tools and Glues . :paint:

Agreed, the aerosols are good, usually blacks, greys, silver, white in my local store with the DIY / motoring stuff; note they are smaller in size than those found in Halfords etc (300ml instead of 500ml iirc, but hey it's £1). They also do 2 part "Bond Together" epoxy resin in a syringe dispenser which is as good as the premium brands imo.

Agreed, the aerosols are good, usually blacks, greys, silver, white in my local store with the DIY / motoring stuff; note they are smaller in size than those found in Halfords etc (300ml instead of 500ml iirc, but hey it's £1). They also do 2 part "Bond Together" epoxy resin in a syringe dispenser which is as good as the premium brands imo.

I saw the Silver, Gold, Green and Pink paint cans in store. Excuse my ignorance (new to spray painting) but are the Primers (Matt Black and Grey, and Satin Black) which NXEA! mentioned different to the paint colour sprays.