Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Very nice.

ive not seen efficient for 25 years….

6AFED40C-3B23-4346-8DE8-BA9BD73800B3.jpeg.243a55e24062effb10c4a2170561b334.jpeg

Surely at £85, this is a good oppy for a 3D body kit for the Crane tank on this chassis to do Glenfield and others.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Very nice.

ive not seen efficient for 25 years….

6AFED40C-3B23-4346-8DE8-BA9BD73800B3.jpeg.243a55e24062effb10c4a2170561b334.jpeg

Surely at £85, this is a good oppy for a 3D body kit for the Crane tank on this chassis to do Glenfield and others.

Are we getting the Percy face on Efficient?   😲

I notice that awful grey smokebox door....

Both of Bren Mullin's engines in one shot, No 5 and 24081. Only ever got one go on the big Peckett and it was a beast. More powerful than a Black Five on paper. I was regularly roped in to crew the 24 though. Diesels were never really my thing. I was happier hitting things with big hammers than running trains.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/peckett-sons-works-no-2153-0-6-0st/

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Are we getting the Percy face on Efficient?   😲

I notice that awful grey smokebox door....

Both of Bren Mullin's engines in one shot, No 5 and 24081. Only ever got one go on the big Peckett and it was a beast. More powerful than a Black Five on paper. I was regularly roped in to crew the 24 though. Diesels were never really my thing. I was happier hitting things with big hammers than running trains.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/peckett-sons-works-no-2153-0-6-0st/

Jason

I used to love steamport, I remember the day 24081 arrived, and left.

• Like 1

With the 16" versions having roughly 18,000 lbs of tractive effort and the 14" around 14,500lbs I would say it was more about the loads being pulled however if you look at Big Pit they had 1 16" and an oversized cylinder Barclay so I'm guessing it's entirely possible it just depended upon what the Customer wanted or possibly needed, not to mention you had the 14" cylinder 0-6-0ST version which was used at some larger operations.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NZRedBaron said:

I was just curious mainly, as I've decided to have a crack at doing a 'light railway oddity'; taking a page out of the Ffestiniog Railway, and kitbashing a tank engine to also have a tender.

A Barclay with a tender isn't really unusual , see below  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/6675479855

Edited by gpplumy
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2023 at 12:27, Steamport Southport said:

You would need to find a good match for the green though and line the cab after altering it. If I remember correctly it's not that far off BR "Brunswick" Green.

ISTR it was Ray (Marshall on here) who was one of the ones who repainted it back in the day. The lettering was all done by hand by the volunteers rather than getting a professional signwriter in.

It was my regular engine at one point.

Some photos of it here when it was immaculate. Well before my time I hasten to add. Imagine H&S nowadays.

https://www.transporttreasury.com/p1071116337/h801F651F#h801f63bc

Jason

Thanks for that, Jason. 'Efficient' is one of the locos I always made a point of seeing at RSR, along with 'Alexander', Heysham No. 2 and Pug No. 19. Certainly no criticism from me on the quality of the paint job as originally applied, and the current patina adds to the appeal imo. I still think Hattons have done a decent job considering the tooling that would be required to fully represent all the possible variations seen in the full size AB prototypes, especially considering the price. Maybe Planet Industrials could be persuaded to design another cab kit? 

I also love that photo, thanks for sharing it - and yep, H&S would probably shut that down in a second these days. What could possibly go wrong on a bumpy light railway? 😬

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

Looking at the artwork the ones with open cabs are H4-AB14-009, H4-AB14-012, H4-AB16-006, and H4-AB16-007.

Just from the lack of what looks like a glazing lump that is on the others.

I agree with that list, the closed cabs have a rounded box that extends around the brake handle, that box can be seen in the artwork. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/04/2023 at 12:00, Hattons Dave said:

Hi everyone,

Following on from the new batch of SECR P Classes earlier this week, we have now announced nine new variations of the Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST covering a whole new range of industrial, works and plain liveries!

These are also due to arrive with us in Q2 2024.

All are available to pre-order now for £85 each HERE

Cheers,

Dave

H4-AB14-013_cat1.jpg

H4-AB14-014_cat1.jpg

H4-AB16-005_cat1.jpg

H4-AB16-006_cat1.jpg

H4-AB16-007_cat1.jpg

H4-AB14-009_cat1.jpg

H4-AB14-010_cat1.jpg

H4-AB14-011_cat1.jpg

H4-AB14-012_cat1.jpg

Hello Dave,

I went on the web site this morning to Pre-order one of these but found that there wasn't a Paypal option when I got to the checkout stage, I'm afraid that I'm not too keen on entering my credit card details, I did however manage to buy a few 2nd hand items from you via Paypal so is this just something that applies to Pre-orders please ?

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2023 at 14:46, JamFjord said:

Thanks for that, Jason. 'Efficient' is one of the locos I always made a point of seeing at RSR, along with 'Alexander', Heysham No. 2 and Pug No. 19. Certainly no criticism from me on the quality of the paint job as originally applied, and the current patina adds to the appeal imo. I still think Hattons have done a decent job considering the tooling that would be required to fully represent all the possible variations seen in the full size AB prototypes, especially considering the price. Maybe Planet Industrials could be persuaded to design another cab kit? 

I also love that photo, thanks for sharing it - and yep, H&S would probably shut that down in a second these days. What could possibly go wrong on a bumpy light railway? 😬

At least we can still get away with public riding in brake vans !

• Like 1

On 21/04/2023 at 16:52, Hattons Dave said:

To answer a couple of questions:

1) We are ware that Efficient's cab is square-sided rather than round but it has been such a popular request and was very local to us (running less than 2 miles away) as well as being in close to standard Barclay green so we decided it was too close not to choose.

But why not make the cab correct? I know that means new tooling, but you must have had new tooling made for the blue one with the non-circular cab front windows. Those windows weren't a feature of any of the previous batch and there is only the one model with them in this batch. It seems odd to invest in new tooling for a single anonymous model, but not to make an actual prototype more correct.

9 minutes ago, Ruston said:

But why not make the cab correct? I know that means new tooling, but you must have had new tooling made for the blue one with the non-circular cab front windows. Those windows weren't a feature of any of the previous batch and there is only the one model with them in this batch. It seems odd to invest in new tooling for a single anonymous model, but not to make an actual prototype more correct.

That is assuming they didn't tool for the different windows in the first place, rather than it being a new endeavour specific to this batch.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/04/2023 at 14:46, JamFjord said:

A Barclay on bumpy track? Yes please - at least I can get away with my dodgy track laying skills!

2023-05-02_06-07-082.jpg.a814108a637519cb0e6780531c0ee2fb.jpg

• Like 8

On 25/04/2023 at 08:02, 03060 said:

Hello Dave,

I went on the web site this morning to Pre-order one of these but found that there wasn't a Paypal option when I got to the checkout stage, I'm afraid that I'm not too keen on entering my credit card details, I did however manage to buy a few 2nd hand items from you via Paypal so is this just something that applies to Pre-orders please ?

Regards,

Ian.

Pre-orders require credit card because they process the transaction when they are sending you the model. I don't think PayPal allows that kind of transaction. Rails does the same with pre-orders, and I suspect so do others.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/05/2023 at 01:56, jaym481 said:

Pre-orders require credit card because they process the transaction when they are sending you the model. I don't think PayPal allows that kind of transaction. Rails does the same with pre-orders, and I suspect so do others.

paypal does allow it but it takes a certain amount of setting up which i can only assume hattons haven't bothered with 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to show that there's still some fun to be had.

I purchased a second hand Katie a little while back which needed some minor work, and intended to keep it just as a nice little thing to have (the works number is my old suburb). However, plans changed and I sold it to a very good friend of mine who used to work at the Port Kembla steelworks, where there was 3 around. One with the Public Works Department, one over the line with John Lysaghts, and Australian Iron and Steel's own Alison.

He chose to recreate Alison due to his memories of the real thing, and has just pretty much finished up the works to the locomotive bar some minor paint adjustments, and some new nameplates being etched up in the correct style. The biggest job to do was to rebuild the cab to a completely different style, as per what the locomotive was modified to in service. The real locomotive survives at the Richmond Vale Railway museum, having not long been cosmetically tidied up. 

Alison will soon be joined by a Dapol Hawthorn Leslie "Wallaby", and possibly some other steam locomotives to join his steelworks fleet. The English Electric diesel fleet he has WELL covered. He has also built the coal hoppers that ran in the work from scratch, seen here with Katie before kitbashing.

IMG_1990.JPG

349295009_1327126957840825_4853061449798979207_n.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 26/05/2023 at 11:39, gpplumy said:

quick question, does anyone know of a replacement motor for the barclays ?

Do you want to due to a modification, or as a direct replacement for an original? I have a stock of originals that I have removed and replaced with other motors in order to fit DCC sound and Stay Alive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

Do you want to due to a modification, or as a direct replacement for an original? I have a stock of originals that I have removed and replaced with other motors in order to fit DCC sound and Stay Alive.

Now there's a question ! How easy is it to fit a different,  smaller motor ? 

Chris bought one and it has a bit if a duff motor, wasn't sure about the best way to go about replacing it. Like for like is easy , but if there's another motor that only takes a little work?

Please tell me more sir ;) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

Pre-ordering your Andrew Barclay is essential to ensure that production can go ahead. Some models have not yet reached our required order threshold, so if you have not yet placed a pre-order we recommend doing so as soon as possible or these items may have to be cancelled.

Pre-order yours for £85 each HERE

The affected models are:

H4-AB14-009 Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 14" 47 in NCB blue

H4-AB14-012 Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 14" 'Efficient' in lined green

H4-AB14-013 Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 14" 2201 'Victory' in plain maroon with wasp stripes

H4-AB16-005 Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 16" in lined apple green - unnumbered

H4-AB16-006 Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 16" 2266 'Wallace' in lined green

Edited by Hattons Dave
Corrected link
  • Like 2