Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

3 hours ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

I hope so then, and definitely hope someone picks up the genesis coaches as well.

I think/hope, that given hattons has a decent range now, that it will appeal to either an existing manufacturer, or a startup, to buy the tooling (and project). there has to be some value in that. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the Barclay has been successful enough, and with plenty more variations to be done, that someone will take it over.

Or is that wishful thinking?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JohnR said:

I think the Barclay has been successful enough, and with plenty more variations to be done, that someone will take it over.

I very much hope so! I've been impressed by just about everything within the Hattons Originals range, but I have a particular fondness for the Barclays (I had four from batch 2 on pre-order, with the intention to up that to the full nine when funds allowed). The build quality, detailing and mechanisms have been near perfect on the models I picked up from batch 1 (up there with Hornby's Peckett in my experience, limited and ignorant as that may be).

I'm aware that there were limitations to the extent to which all variations of the prototype could be represented with the tooling, but that's a reasonably common issue (although seemingly less so in recent years). Still, imho Hattons Barclay is an excellent starting point for further customisation and a damn good model in its own right - it would be a shame for the hard work and IP to be wasted that went into designing and manufacturing such a lovely little model.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Interesting, the FAQ on the Hattons site has changed very slightly from last night from:

Andrew Barclay reruns will NOT be produced.

(As seen in the first post of the Hattons closure thread)
to:

Andrew Barclay reruns are currently under review. Once a decision has been made we will be sure to communicate this to customers.

Maybe they have done the maths and have worked out that it's may be worth proceeding, or someone else is considering taking them on.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well if they do I can easily be persuaded to buy another one or two!

Jason

Agreed, the Barclay was a lovely little model.

Hopefully someone considers a crane to go on the boiler too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Did the 14/16 ever get a crane conversion? 

I had a quick Google, but could only see other barclay locos with cranes on, and usually low side tanks. 

Thanks

Paul. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Hopefully they don't. It would look rather silly.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Few toolings ever truly dissappear.

Theres a good chance they will appear under a new name in due course.

Yes; the toolings and the associated CAD files are valuable intellectual property and it would make obvious business sense to sell them to another manufacturer as part of the business shutdown. They're of no value to a non-trading Hattons, but disposing of them would be a worthwhile return to the shareholders.

Alternatively, given that the retail side appears to have been the main issue leading to the closure (particularly in light of the local radio interview mentioned elsewhere), another possibility is that Hattons will re-emerge as another niche manufacturer in the same vein as Cavalex, KR Models, etc.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 hours ago, LittleRedTrain said:

I have just noticed that the website is allowing pre-orders of the Barclays again.
When I looked earlier, they were all showing 'sold out on pre-order'
Tempted to stick an order in, just in case they do go ahead!

I have done so--added one to my existing pre-order as a show of support. I like the two I have.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2024 at 18:20, Ruston said:

Hopefully they don't. It would look rather silly.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it might not be everybodies cup of tea.

23 minutes ago, gpplumy said:

crane on the boiler ?

Just like this..

Market Overton Barclay No1 Glenfield 7th Sept 75 C2434

flickr url/ not mine

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Beauty is in the eye if the beholder

Just like this..

Market Overton Barclay No1 Glenfield 7th Sept 75 C2434

flickr url/ not mine

but that is a very different barclay to those produced by hattons. id like one, but its a wholly different locomotive

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, gpplumy said:

but that is a very different barclay to those produced by hattons. id like one, but its a wholly different locomotive

I’m not disputing that.

its got a big 16t crane on top of it.

That does make it different.

you cannot miss it.

But I would like to see a Barclay Crane tank modelled.

The current models are compromises anyway, theres several discrepancies, but the dissenters are quiet.

If a body could fit the chassis, I think those happy with a quirky crane tank at a lower price would outweigh those shouting about 0.5mm here or there being off… vs the alternative of a model at double the price in new post covid money, but with the fractions of a mm right... compromise on industrials is far more tolerated… as evidence at the silence of the flaws of those already offered.

Holding out for a perfect rtr crane tank may be a bit too over indulgent given where we are, and this maybe the best shot at getting a crane tank rtr thats no worse than the current body sitting on the current chassis.

Either way, preorders are reopened, and your not going to get that much detail at £85 in the future i’m sure, fill your boots… maybe a 3D printed body will be the future for a Barclays crane tank.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My 2024 budget is likely 2-3 locos (300 quid, roughly). There was nothing in the Hornby 2024 announcement for me. I'm waiting on Rapido to stop teasing on a Railway Children product (class 25 L&YR or MSC tank and my money will be in that morning).

The unnumbered light green 16" Andrew Barclay was a fallback option for me - a toss up between this and the Rapido Hunslet 16". To go with my unnumbered Planet Industrials Stuart Kerr.

Hope they either can go ahead with the run, or find someone to take over the pre-order booklet (Accurascale given the 66?, Rails have taken over some other pre-orders?, EFE?) - but I can't commit to a pre-order to make it happen. 85 quid for these is fantastic, and I've been tempted, but it's not my #1 and #2 priority, and committing to it could mean I can't afford one of my priorities.

• Like 4

And despite my post last night, I just pre-ordered the light green today. 

I don't want to risk these not having another run and going for silly money second hand so I can never get one. 

I'll just postpone a couple of items of rolling stock

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

If a body could fit the chassis, I think those happy with a quirky crane tank at a lower price would outweigh those shouting about 0.5mm here or there being off… vs the alternative of a model at double the price in new post covid money, but with the fractions of a mm right... compromise on industrials is far more tolerated… as evidence at the silence of the flaws of those already offered.

Holding out for a perfect rtr crane tank may be a bit too over indulgent given where we are, and this maybe the best shot at getting a crane tank rtr thats no worse than the current body sitting on the current chassis.

Either way, preorders are reopened, and your not going to get that much detail at £85 in the future i’m sure, fill your boots… maybe a 3D printed body will be the future for a Barclays crane tank.

Have you taken one of these things apart? If you had you'd know that the motor fills the space right to the top of the tank and the chassis block casting as almost as wide as the tank. The chassis block is wholly unsuitable for use in a crane tank.

I'm not saying that it can't be done on an individual basis but the modeller would need to put in so much work on the chassis that it wouldn't be worthwhile, even if someone made a replacement body. Even then it would be massively compromised and look rather odd.

On 09/01/2024 at 16:59, Paul_sterling said:

Did the 14/16 ever get a crane conversion? 

No, they didn't. Crane tanks weren't converted locomotives. They were built as crane tanks from the start.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, JohnR said:

They are now showing as "due in between April 2024 and June 2024", so I assume they've decided to go ahead with production.

Let's hope that's true. I have a pair on order including one that I know operated less than 500m from the house. I think it'd be very apt with Hatton's closing down if one of the last acts was a release of one of their own models.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

I've just placed my pre-order from this advertised batch which the website allowed without issue, so hopefully I will receive this as and when.

Sorry to see Hattons close and having been through many redundancy situations and 2 actual redundancies myself I feel for the staff involved, so good luck to all involved and thankyou for the great service that I've previously received from you.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Is anyone aware of when pre-orders will no longer be accepted for these, it's now on the after payday list after NCP have hit me with a b*******g fine for a while 2 minutes at Gatwick Airport!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

Is anyone aware of when pre-orders will no longer be accepted for these, it's now on the after payday list after NCP have hit me with a b*******g fine for a while 2 minutes at Gatwick Airport!

You will only get charged when they dispatch. No payment is taken now. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1