SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

You'd better get yourself scanned by Modelu so you can step back on the runnning plate !

I'd have to be scanned via a distorting mirror in order to appear that thin and short.

I have found my copy of Railway Bylines December- January 1996/7 which has a detailed article on the P class. 

The article gives allocations but I was interested to discover 31027 was loaned to  Betteshanger Colliery in February 1956 and also to Chislet Colliery in May 1959 while 31323 was loaned to Betteshanger in February 1952 and to Snowden Colliery in August 1953. Surely a bit under powered for such work. 

It also states 31178 worked at Bowaters on several occasions prior to being purchased by the Company. There is a mention it operated passenger services within the complex. I thought these were on the narrow gauge only. If this is correct, does anyone know what the coaches were?

I may have to order one of the BR versions to keep the Peckett and Barclay tanks company on my future industrial layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've just noticed that Hatton's are now listing this as due January.  Funny, I could have sworn that when I put in my pre-order, they were saying "before Christmas" ... :whistle:

January is before Christmas (2018).

I've just noticed that Hatton's are now listing this as due January.  Funny, I could have sworn that when I put in my pre-order, they were saying "before Christmas" ... :whistle:

So is the triple on the cards for January? H, P and coaches? But with Christmas in-between that's a chance for another gift voucher to lessen the blow.

• RMweb Premium

Painted samples need to arrive and be approved, then manufactured. We have Xmas, CNY in between. March looks about the earliest date TBH.

While I agree with the sentiment, if CNY is a factor in delivery, then March seems optimistic.  CNY is 16.2.2018, so the rest of February is a write off for any goods not shipped.

• RMweb Gold

While I agree with the sentiment, if CNY is a factor in delivery, then March seems optimistic.  CNY is 16.2.2018, so the rest of February is a write off for any goods not shipped.

Chinese New Year shouldn't have the same impact this year as it is 2 1/2 weeks later. The impact in 2017 was a result of how early it was, and therefore, how close to Christmas it was.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Right on time, here are some of the painted samples for the P Class.

We're currently reviewing them and will be posting more images next week.

Hopefully this will tide you over until then.

post-28458-0-01841600-1507295811_thumb.jpg post-28458-0-18250700-1507295812_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 19

Great job! Can´t wait to see more.  :good:

But they do not show the complete printing right now, do they? Cause they are currently missing all the outer red lines, which were present on the livery schematics.

Also imho the paintwork and printing looks in some places quite sloppy, hopefully that will be better with the production models.

Manuel

Edited by stonetown

• RMweb Gold

Very nice.

Will the buffer beams be lined out too, note the buffers themselves are different shades of red/maroon to the buffer-beam.

In addition to the redlining on the outer edges of the tanks/cab etc, their is redlining on the wheel rims.

Trivial but The whistle looks different to the prototype also.

But.. very nice, very nice.

Anyone notice 323 has a single row of rivets at the rear of the smokebox, where as 178 has front and rear.. exactly as prototype. :-)

Edited by adb968008

I personally think it is the quality of the photo as the red lines are there, just pixelated.

Some of the red lines are there, but not all of them. The ones on the boiler and the outer ones framing the cab and side tanks are missing.

Edited by stonetown

Great job! Can´t wait to see more.  :good:

But they do not show the complete printing right now, do they? Cause they are currently missing all the outer red lines, which were present on the livery schematics.

Also imho the paintwork and printing looks in some places quite sloppy, hopefully that will be better with the production models.

Manuel

Are you meaning the red lines that mark the edge of the black border around the tanks and cabsides?

Also, the boiler lining looks very simplified - just plain green on the SE&CR version? I think the lack of the yellow and red lining there too is possibly contributing to the boiler lining looking a bit narrow... but we must remember just how tiny this model is! Certainly I wouldn't want to have a go at it with a bow pen!

Overall, though, a very nice looking model! And just as a reminder to people of how far things have come, have a reminder of when Wrenn released their R1 model in "SE&CR livery", complete with BR numberplate and a very strange paintjob that looks like they couldn't decide between wartime grey or lined green, so decided to mix both together!:W2201a_1007748_Qty1_1.jpg

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking that the brass / copper bits don't look shiny enough and far too drab compared to the real thing - or even the cab spectacle frames.

Similarly the yellow hue in the lettering doesn't look as bright as it should

The painted samples look rather nice. The bluebell blue suits the locos nicely.

31027 or 31323 will probably be suitable for present plans I expect, but some research to find where each loco was in 59-62 is needed (I know 323 went to the Bluebell during '60 however).

Somewhat more worryingly, I've just noticed on enlarging the pictures that the hubs of the centre driving wheels on both models appear to have split where the axle has been (force?) fitted... Towards the rear of the wheel centre on the green model, and the front-bottom of the blue one.

Can someone at Hattons confirm or deny that for me please?

Well I certainly do.

I can for example celebrate the first Tuesday of the week.  Good enough?

Not bad, but it should be noted that October 6, 2017 only comes once in a lifetime. That, IMHO, is worth celebrating.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

I personally think it is the quality of the photo as the red lines are there, just pixelated.

Looking very pretty to me.

If you click on the pictures, you will see enlargements of the locos, and you will see the red lines are there.

Don't forget these are just samples, and I expect the models to have all the imperfections sorted out by the time the are ready for sale. I'm looking forward to receiving my order.

Edited by Budgie

If you click on the pictures, you will see enlargements of the locos, and you will see the red lines are there.

Don't forget these are just samples, and I expect the models to have all the imperfections sorted out by the time the are ready for sale. I'm looking forward to receiving my order.

The red lines around the edges of the green lining on the tank sides are there, but there should be more red lining around the inside of the black bordering around the very edges of the tanks and cab, as per the drawings in post #3 here: 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126142-secr-p-class-0-6-0t-in-oo-gauge/?p=2850162

Edited by Skinnylinny