SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

I'd like to see a polished looking dome like Hornby have shown on the H class.

This semi matt painted version doesn't quite look right. The same technique was used on the Bachmann C Class – it's certainly not bad at all it's just that the Hornby rendition sets a higher standard.

Should the wheels be lined out on the prewar SECR versions?

If you can find a bottle of Floquil Brass paint* it will give you a very realistic finish, or, if you have a friend with a lathe, get them to turn up a real brass dome!

Cheers,

David

* it may be hard to find because the solvent used was Xylene which is rather nasty.

David 

Thank you.

I've a feeling that Xylene is also a part of cellulose, if so would that be OK to use on a plastic body?

Spikey’s post summed it up rather nicely. Floquil can be used on plastic but only after a barrier coat of enamel has been applied first. I suspect that the faux brass finish would do the trick but it’s always best to test on a hidden bit before going for the whole job.

Cheers,

David

I managed to get my hands on these at GETS earlier today and would suggest that in the flesh, they look even better than the photos suggest. What you can't see if the beautifully painted cab interior for a start.

Bluebell.jpg

SECR.jpg

I wish I'd taken something better than my compact along to grab more shots, but then I was only there for fun rather than work.

I had a chat with Dave about the finish as both are a pleasent semi-matt but if I buy a Bluebell, I'd be tempted to add a bit more gloss. This is a personal thing though and I'm not normally a fan of anything other than matt finish locos. Preferabley covered in flith!

• Like 12

Indeed - for a start - they seem to be missing the red line on the edges where blue/SECR green meets black.

Edit : though I guess Hattons are aware of that (certainly still buying these beauties).

Edited by JSpencer

It's hard to tell from the image but the darker red below the footplate level doesn't look dark enough. On the preserved 178 it is a distinctly deep maroon and noticeably different from the red of the buffer beam.

It's supposed to be Indian Red, and is indeed understood to be a maroon colour. This would be true for locos in original, as well as preserved, state.

Thanks for the additional photo's Phil, but they do look incredibly plain, compared to others SECR liveries, any word on if that will be resolved in future samples? Regarding the missing lining.

As Dave said, these are samples and they know that there are changes to be made. He did mention a lot more red to me when we chatted. Give him a chance though, his photos were posted as soon as the models arrived, there was a weekend where Dave was at GETS so unless you expect 7 days a week working on these then sit tight and wait for the official response.

If anyone wants something to worry about, neither model had a motor fitted...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I reiterate the fact that these were the first livery samples and some amendments are known to the Hatton's team, whom themselves have only had them for a mere couple of days. 

We had a chance to pose them and have a play run on of them as a double header,  LCGB style rail tour perhaps, (it would be ironic if the most actual mileage of any of the samples has been done by a motorless version..) on the Hornby Magazine Twelve Trees Junction layout at the GETS show this weekend. 

post-243-0-31815900-1507551231_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-92965900-1507551250_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-73473200-1507551268_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

As Dave said, these are samples and they know that there are changes to be made. He did mention a lot more red to me when we chatted. Give him a chance though, his photos were posted as soon as the models arrived, there was a weekend where Dave was at GETS so unless you expect 7 days a week working on these then sit tight and wait for the official response.

If anyone wants something to worry about, neither model had a motor fitted...

Thanks Phil, I was told last night they are aware of the lining missing and is in hand... well I guess it would be cheaper without a motor? hehe

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Goodness - looking at the 2nd photo in Graham Muz's post at 271 above - I've always thought the USA is a diminutive loco, but that P class is TINY by comparison - it looks half the size! Astonishing!

John Storey