RMweb

wenford dries - 7mm - 1983

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

0 gauge doesn't need to be too big pete. But lives steam does.

Don - is this what you are currently working on? Do you have a thread going?

Stewart - Thanks - Good advice - I recall before you said it was a nice kit, hence the purchase.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Hello Pete,

I have moved recently and have a lot to do on the house. A good part of our stuff is still in store so I can do much modelling just now. When I can I will start a blog. There are three projects. 0 gauge GWR and Cambrian, Live steam 16mm in the garden and 2mm Southern I am just planning having been inspired by Missy and you to have another go at 2mm.

Don

... my small brain is unable to comprehend how something I saw hit the floor can have vanished completely when I go to pick it up.

Ah, so it's not just me, then!!! :rolleyes: :D ... if it was onto carpet I could understand it, but in my case I'm amazed how parts can disappear on a plain, bare concrete floor.... :blink:

Good choice of kit, too, bcnPete. We'll turn you completely 7mm yet.... :P

I'm 45 this year..it's a bit young to join the 7mm club isn't it?... :P

When the loco you push start with your walking stick keeps derailing, it's time to move up. ;)

Seriously though, I think it's a great idea to be dabbling in a few scales as there is some fantastic stuff available in N and 00 now, and once I get my 7mm effort running again I will be looking at a 4mm Ikea shelf.

(I will just need to need an Ikea shelf for the workshop the next time we go there and hope it doesn't need a more detailed explanation, like where will it fit?)

regards

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I'm 45 this year..it's a bit young to join the 7mm club isn't it?... :P

I've heard that having a thick beard to match your pullover is also a requirement tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif It's a bit like the need for retentiveness in the rear region for detail in 2mm laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

If you consider a 2mm layout is a picture then 7mm is like using a looking glass you can see more detail but you can't see it all together. Many turn to 0 gauge when they get older but space means you can end up in the loft or out in the garden by the time you have built it you can get up in the loft or bend down in the garden. A friend had the stairlift extended to reach his layout in the attic but in the end couldn't reach to clean the track. Such is life.

Those nice little 2mm layouts can be set up on a table or cupboard and enjoyed from a chair when stiffness and arthritis strike! Just hope your eyesight holds out.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm....31's worked clay hoods in the Barnstaple area I recall...

enough of all this 7mm talk...it's getting the old creative juices flowing again...think 2mm...think 2mm... ;)

Yes, class 31's ran through Barnstaple with clay wagons, but sheeted straight over and tied down, i.e. without the hoods over the hoops. When running empty, the tarps were generally folded up and put into the wagon.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, class 31's ran through Barnstaple with clay wagons, but sheeted straight over and tied down, i.e. without the hoods over the hoops. When running empty, the tarps were generally folded up and put into the wagon.

Thanks Mudmagnet

There is a small model of Meeth in the future pipeline somewhere...when I work out which scale I will be working in...

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the Meeth line traffic (as I am at the moment) there was a mix of 9ft wheelbase Clayhoods (marked up for "BALL CLAY ONLY" ) and the 10ft WB open wagons with sheets. This pic on Ken Baker's excellent site shows a mix of bothnear Bideford heading to Meeth with the opens empty & unsheeted. Admittedly a class 25 not class 31, so must be before the 25s left (1980 ish? Certainly late 70s as the headcode reads OOOO).

Well the Barnstaple line is getting popular! It's certainally a prototype I've been looking at in N gauge so Pete is you settle for 7mm version we may one day have layouts of North Devon in 2-7mm! At this rate we could have an exhibition of BR Blue West Country Clay Layouts which would be my dream day out but maybe just a little too niche?

I think that the 9ft clayhoods were used for ball clay being exported from Fowey where the end tipper doors were needed. Until sometime in the 70s most of the export clay went from Fremmingham. The 25s were used until they moved away when the 33s and 31s took over with only the later allowed through to Meeth. I've read a suggestion that if Torrington had remained open for clay passengers may have restarted. Now that would be an interesting 80s layout!

Well the Barnstaple line is getting popular! It's certainally a prototype I've been looking at in N gauge so Pete is you settle for 7mm version we may one day have layouts of North Devon in 2-7mm! At this rate we could have an exhibition of BR Blue West Country Clay Layouts which would be my dream day out but maybe just a little too niche?

I think that the 9ft clayhoods were used for ball clay being exported from Fowey where the end tipper doors were needed. Until sometime in the 70s most of the export clay went from Fremmingham. The 25s were used until they moved away when the 33s and 31s took over with only the later allowed through to Meeth. I've read a suggestion that if Torrington had remained open for clay passengers may have restarted. Now that would be an interesting 80s layout!

Yes I agree - Would this be Regional Railways or a Network Southeast outpost - the former I venture to suggest. However I can visualise an NSE 50 on MK2's working a Saturdays only London Waterloo service

Paul R

• RMweb Gold

Still off the Wenfordbridge topic & on ball clay (may need to start a new thread on this...)

Mickey, this site gives an overview of Ball Clay transportation - seems to imply that shipments from the Bovey basin workings originally went by canal barge to Teignmouth & shipped on from there, the rail link at Heathfield was used for "domestic" traffic (which I take as being to the Potteries etc). European shipments still go from Teignmouth but arrive by road sadly.

Traffic from Meeth went to Fremington Quay, but there's plenty of pictures of the sheeted opens (not clayhoods) going through Barnstaple & onwards - again, I assume to the Potteries. Some pictures on Ken Baker's site show wagons using the weighbridge on Fremington Quay, then travelling onwards.

I am still not sure where the Clayhoods went to from Meeth, I think there's a few pictures in Paul Bartlett's site but the search function isn't working on Fotopic....

I'd still like to know what would have been used if the line to Meeth had been upgraded for modern wagons - I assume Clay Tigers as these were used on the Heathfield line? Would be a nice "might have been" for a north Devon line model after 1982 (which is my current thinking!)

Since we don't yet have a dedicated clay forum(!) I hope Pete won't mind me replying here. I think everyone is right that as ball clay is wet simple tarpalins are fine and this is what was used on the uk runs ie the potteries. I think the clayhoods were used when clay was exported through Fowey and because of the way it was unloaded there the end tipper doors were needed. I guess the hood bit sort of came as a bonus. I think the wooden bodied wagons for uk runs ( not the hoods to Fowey) were withdrawn in 1982 when the Tigers arrived and one of the reasons for closure of the Meeth line was the cost of upgrading the line to take these much larger wagons.

So I guess a mid 80s Torrington could see Tigers and clayhoods on the clay, with maybe some vans for bagged produce? Other freight could include fertilizer in vans. Passengers would mostly be a DMU shuttling to Barnstaple or maybe Exeter with a few 31 or 33 loco hauled passengers. Maybe a 50 would even make an appearance on summer Saturday through workings? Definitely got potential as a believable and interesting might have been.

I think Rich and I may not be alone in wanting a 'layouts I dream of and may or maynot get round to starting one day' forum! And a West Country Clay one of course!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello peeps,

No problem with diverting slightly...all clay makes for interesting discussions and layouts :D

Rich - Had a few probs with those first links you posted to that site...seems ok in your most recent ones though.

Tom - Didn't I suggest Torrington to you when you were doodling recently? It would make a nice 'what if' type of layout....

Tom - Didn't I suggest Torrington to you when you were doodling recently? It would make a nice 'what if' type of layout....

You did! I dismissed the ideas as I'm not sure I'm ready to model a prototype but the idea seemed to stick in my head and won't go away! I'll file it in the 'one day' drawer - unless you or Rich or someone gets there first. Main problem for me is its North rather than South Devon - the wrong shade of green and no chocolate/cream! I feel guilty enough abandoning my little steam engines - but leaving the mighty GWR would be a step too far. What I really aim to achieve is a West Country clay layout (either Devon or Cornwall) that looks like it may have been a real place and screams ex GWR without a train in sight!

• RMweb Gold

Rich - Had a few probs with those first links you posted to that site...seems ok in your most recent ones though.

Oops, my bad - forgot to delete the existing http// bit when I pasted the links in! Should work now....;)

Also realised I've contradicted myself when I said about not knowing where the Ball Clay hoods went as the linked picture is at Lostiwithiel - which suggests en-route to Fowey.:rolleyes:

You did! I dismissed the ideas as I'm not sure I'm ready to model a prototype but the idea seemed to stick in my head and won't go away! I'll file it in the 'one day' drawer - unless you or Rich or someone gets there first. Main problem for me is its North rather than South Devon - the wrong shade of green and no chocolate/cream! I feel guilty enough abandoning my little steam engines - but leaving the mighty GWR would be a step too far. What I really aim to achieve is a West Country clay layout (either Devon or Cornwall) that looks like it may have been a real place and screams ex GWR without a train in sight!

Weeeeellll - I do keep looking at North Devon now, partly as Mickey says because of a bit more variety. I have something inspired by Lapford in mind (timber & fertilizer with through traffic to Barnie and beyond) - so I'll leave the Torrington area alone! Those who've followed my thoughts over the years know there's little chance of much progress anyway.... :P

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

as a way off getting this off ball clay and back on topic... :D there's been some progress again.

Various 7mm packages have been arriving in the UK and last weekend they were smuggled placed in the suitcase (2mmFS can be smuggled but not 7mm :no:) and brought back to Barcelona...with one exception...the track arrived on Monday not Saturday as planned :banghead: A number of Scottish 7mm scenarios have been tossed around of late, however my thinking has now turned back to this project...with a few minor tweaks.

Firstly, instead of one IKEA lack 1900mm board, use two 1100mm instead. With my math that gives an extra 300mm to play with and also still can be set up on our 2000mm long dining room table...aka the workshop.

Also, with two boards I can start to construct a turnout (I bought a couple of C+L turnout in a bag kits) and some plain track too...enough to get that shunter running with a wagon. The old track plan has been re set out using C+L paper templates and what I have lost in headshunt space due to longer radius turnouts, I have gained in that extra 300mm.

Whilst the Cat was away earlier, the mouse played (my wife is called Catherine :biggrin_mini2:) and I laid out the templates on the floor and positioned the rolling stock to check clearances.

Here's a few pics demonstrating how I can manoevre a few wagons around so a little fun can be had in all things 7mm...

post-3290-0-07798100-1337355674_thumb.jpg

post-3290-0-15429700-1337355681_thumb.jpg

post-3290-0-78766100-1337355706_thumb.jpg

post-3290-0-00242700-1337355718_thumb.jpg

post-3290-0-24715400-1337355731_thumb.jpg

I started off this thread trying not to blame Marc Smith after seeing his excellent 7mm Micro shunting layout...and he has just finished another cracking 7mm micro layout again which is now viewable on the forum...and that Dapol 08 hasn't even been released yet... :O

Don't expect rapid progress...but things are moving forwards again with this...

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 13

as a way off getting this off ball clay and back on topic... :D there's been some progress again.

Various 7mm packages have been arriving in the UK and last weekend they were smuggled placed in the suitcase (2mmFS can be smuggled but not 7mm :no:) and brought back to Barcelona...with one exception...the track arrived on Monday not Saturday as planned :banghead: A number of Scottish 7mm scenarios have been tossed around of late, however my thinking has now turned back to this project...with a few minor tweaks.

Firstly, instead of one IKEA lack 1900mm board, use two 1100mm instead. With my math that gives an extra 300mm to play with and also still can be set up on our 2000mm long dining room table...aka the workshop.

Also, with two boards I can start to construct a turnout (I bought a couple of C+L turnout in a bag kits) and some plain track too...enough to get that shunter running with a wagon. The old track plan has been re set out using C+L paper templates and what I have lost in headshunt space due to longer radius turnouts, I have gained in that extra 300mm.

Whilst the Cat was away earlier, the mouse played (my wife is called Catherine :biggrin_mini2:) and I laid out the templates on the floor and positioned the rolling stock to check clearances.

Here's a few pics demonstrating how I can manoevre a few wagons around so a little fun can be had in all things 7mm...

post-3290-0-07798100-1337355674_thumb.jpg

post-3290-0-15429700-1337355681_thumb.jpg

post-3290-0-78766100-1337355706_thumb.jpg

post-3290-0-00242700-1337355718_thumb.jpg

post-3290-0-24715400-1337355731_thumb.jpg

I started off this thread trying not to blame Marc Smith after seeing his excellent 7mm Micro shunting layout...and he has just finished another cracking 7mm micro layout again which is now viewable on the forum...and that Dapol 08 hasn't even been released yet... :O

Don't expect rapid progress...but things are moving forwards again with this...

Hi bcmPete, loving this so far, I have the Skytrex China wagons, pre hood to run on Trebudoc, I was inspried by the 7mm China Clays running at Peco in their showroom. The Dapol 08 will have a lot to answer for if it a gooden, I have a green one on order.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the mock-up. One point the upper headshunt(looking at the photos) is quite short ok for the 08 and one hood but should you acquire a 25 or 31? Just a thought.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We are watching you....

;)

loving this so far, I have the Skytrex China wagons, pre hood to run on Trebudoc, I was inspried by the 7mm China Clays running at Peco in their showroom. The Dapol 08 will have a lot to answer for if it a gooden, I have a green one on order.

Thanks Andy - The blue diesels on St Budoc were indeed an inspiration - yes, I realised the other day that the clay wagons at Wenfordbridge didn't have hoods...shame as its a nice wagon...perhaps I will remove one and see how it looks - I will resist the Dapol 08...for now...

I like the mock-up. One point the upper headshunt(looking at the photos) is quite short ok for the 08 and one hood but should you acquire a 25 or 31? Just a thought.

Thanks Don - its really just enough to be able to park one wagon in that strange little spur that existed. I was thinking that I could always offer up a cassette to that end of the boards(s) if...and its a big if...I ever acquired a class 37...pure indulgence of course...

Edited by bcnPete