RHTT 2017

Thoughts with the crew involved in the incident near Markinch being investigated by RAIB

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/maintenance-train-runaway-near-markinch

Not a good situation for the crew to be in, having to choose to bail out a moving train and I'm slightly surprised the MPV's are still running if just hitting a tree can disable their brakes.

Jeff.

Lucky to get this photograph as I had just photographed a train going the other way.  Already about 20 minutes early, another 30 seconds and this photograph would be in the 'Passing Trains' thread.

The Gloucester Horton Road based RHTT set with Colas locomotives 66848 and 66846 ad Tredington, Gloucestershire.

post-27523-0-70011800-1510592840_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The Gloucester train (66846 and 66848) took a different route today; rather than going to Hereford, it went to Washwood Heath and stopped for four hours.  No idea why, perhaps we'll see some clean locomotives tomorrow?

Edit: Just seen a photograph posted today, the train returning from Washwood Heath appears unchanged.  It's made me wonder if some work was required on the RHTT wagons?  How often do they need refilling with water and sandite?

Edited by jamesg

• RMweb Premium

The Gloucester train (66846 and 66848) took a different route today; rather than going to Hereford, it went to Washwood Heath and stopped for four hours.  No idea why, perhaps we'll see some clean locomotives tomorrow?

Edit: Just seen a photograph posted today, the train returning from Washwood Heath appears unchanged.  It's made me wonder if some work was required on the RHTT wagons?  How often do they need refilling with water and sandite?

Is Sandite still used? I thought they had stopped using this several years ago as it was found that water jetting alone was just as (if not more) effective. The knock-on effect of this being the saving in cost of the Sandite.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Is Sandite still used? I thought they had stopped using this several years ago as it was found that water jetting alone was just as (if not more) effective. The knock-on effect of this being the saving in cost of the Sandite.

Regards, Ian.

I've read somewhere recently that Sandite paste isn't used by Network Rail, but it's something similar. (goes off to search)

Some trains are water jet only - the usual way of telling is the 3Jxx or 3Sxx for jetter or sandite sunstitute respectively.

The other way is to look at the models - water jet only has one module that isn't a water tank. The paste trains have two modules.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I've read somewhere recently that Sandite paste isn't used by Network Rail, but it's something similar. (goes off to search)

Some trains are water jet only - the usual way of telling is the 3Jxx or 3Sxx for jetter or sandite sunstitute respectively.

The other way is to look at the models - water jet only has one module that isn't a water tank. The paste trains have two modules.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. Just shows that you can learn something new everyday!

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. Just shows that you can learn something new everyday!

Regards, Ian.

And a bit more digging:

Found on wnxxforum

I understand from Network Rail that NR moved away from Sandite application and replaced with LNT TrackGrip 60 post 2009 which is applied at 2-6 litre per minute. As the name suggests it can be applied at 60 mph, same max

NR uses Trackgrip but LU still uses sandite.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mick.  I don't know exactly what they're applying to the track (except water), but as the Gloucester set has three tank modules and one module with miscellaneous equipment, it must be water jet only.

The Gloucester set is a "sandite" set (sandite is easier to say than LNT Trackgrip 60....)

The modules are sandite/generator-jetter/water.... water/water/sandite

3S31 headcode

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125517107@N02/37259953254/in/photolist-Bq1Fzd-ZfrJKd-FSzFkK-CHb8c9-YmXV4h-YLwZZ9-YCkWRA-ZtDhTm-YerT2Y-ZEjxtd-YehdFY-21n41mm-CzBYkY-ZGHoKC-YhMKAr-CGQHph-p9jmve-Qnh5X7-MS3KeV-MV2DFw-pBeE1u-YwAcB5-ZNUvd4-ZoomvU-YrQveb-ZTvj9w-ZJJtTq-Z55TW2-YwEBYn-ZNjk2m-ZV8ifu-YGA7z3-CPSnAo-ZkYeLr-YGty3f-YZdj58-NxvWh6-ZCnCr5-qjfE1M-YLio1m-R5jTDQ-pxF4CG-ZnDk8V-21bB9Y8-pFmQ4A-YVD6g1-Yeh3JU-Yjfsib-YegVvf-hCbr2e

My "local" is 3J11. water/water/water.... water/generator-jetter/water.... water/water/water

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132236193@N02/30142275813/in/photolist-MVz3sz

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

And a bit more digging:

Found on wnxxforum

I understand from Network Rail that NR moved away from Sandite application and replaced with LNT TrackGrip 60 post 2009 which is applied at 2-6 litre per minute. As the name suggests it can be applied at 60 mph, same max

NR uses Trackgrip but LU still uses sandite.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick, most useful.

Regards, Ian.

Stowmarket is currently a base for four locomotive pairs allocated to RHTT duties covering the Great Eastern Main Line, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk branches.  The allocation comprises two pairs of 66/4 and a pair each of 37/0 and 57/0.  Predicting in advance which locomotives will be assigned to which duties can be something of a lottery - and truncation of some paths means that the trains don't always show up on RTT.  Generally, I think each pair has at some time worked each of the duties, but usually on days and in places when I'm not there!

As mentioned up-thread, there was the spectacle of a pair of 57/3s (with their RHTT wagons) being sent to the rescue of a failed container train.  History has repeated itself, with a further instance of a 66/4 set also being commandeered.  Unfortunately I wasn't present to record either instance.  But at least I've eventually managed to catch all the current Stowmarket pairs around various parts of Essex.  

The regular 3S60 "ghost train" (as far as RTT is concerned) passing Kelvedon with a pair of 66/4s.

post-10122-0-49066800-1511210725_thumb.jpg

The pairing of 37059 and 37069 served a longish stint on the 3S60 duty - here seen on two occasions running through Billericay and passing Boreham (the section between Chelmsford and Hatfield Peverel where the GEML runs alongside the A12).

post-10122-0-61396400-1511210727_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-49432300-1511210728_thumb.jpg

Finally, an "extra" RHTT move, when I was pleased to find 57007 and 57002 allocated (passing Ingatestone).

post-10122-0-35310200-1511210729_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The regular 3S60 "ghost train" (as far as RTT is concerned) passing Kelvedon with a pair of 66/4s.

3S60 isn't running in the booked path, instead it's running as a VSTP which unfortunately RTT does not pick up and so it doesn't update.

If you fancy modelling your own set and don’t want to make your own set from S Kits, the Hattons announcement should make your day.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/RHTT?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=item&utm_campaign=Newsletter23NovRHTT

They look fantastic.  I can't justify a set for my 1950s/60s layout, but thanks to Hattons for the diagrams - even I can understand the difference between a water and a combined water & sandite train now.