Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

48 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

There is an option to reply to feedback, so you could append an explanation. 😉😀

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

I did do. If ever I get particularly good or unjustified negative feedback I put in a reply. Doubt anybody reads it but it’s therapeutic! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ianmacc said:

I did do. If ever I get particularly good or unjustified negative feedback I put in a reply. Doubt anybody reads it but it’s therapeutic! 

I do - a negative or neutral by itself isn't enough to put me off. However, in your case it wouldn't hurt to try getting it removed via ebay.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just been using the copy function in draft listings, as I have a number of similar items to list , and every time it adds International shipping / postage to the listing which I have to delete. Bit of a pain after the 15th time of deleting it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

21 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Anybody else finding it impossible to mark an item despatched on the iPhone app?

I’ve sold quite a bit this week and not had a problem with it 

Edited by big jim
Stoopid auto correct

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had a strange one earlier.

Saw an item with a starting price under £25, and a best offer option.

From similar items I've seen previously I knew it was worth £50 min,

so put in an offer at that amount.

Offer rejected, 5 min later shown as sold at minimum starting price.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rab said:

If another offer was accepted, would it just show as sold at starting price?

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rab said:

Someone beat you to it ?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, rab said:

Thanks for the responses.

What confused me was it was shown as Sold with one bid at the starting price.

I was expecting it to show the actual price it sold for.

1 hour ago, rab said:

Thanks for the responses.

What confused me was it was shown as Sold with one bid at the starting price.

I was expecting it to show the actual price it sold for.

Hi. The other posters are right. It doesn’t disclose the acceptance price only that it’s sold. The seller may be kicking himself if he accepted 30 or he may have been offered 75 equally. 

• RMweb Premium

I am starting to get really hacked off, looking for certain items of RTR only to find someone seems to have mopped up every single one available, dismantled them into their component parts and are now flogging said parts at exorbitant prices!!  Even the card sleeve from inside a Bachmann box is yours for a fiver....

• Agree 4

Just now, John M Upton said:

I am starting to get really hacked off, looking for certain items of RTR only to find someone seems to have mopped up every single one available, dismantled them into their component parts and are now flogging said parts at exorbitant prices!!  Even the card sleeve from inside a Bachmann box is yours for a fiver....

It’s really frustrating. 

I sell tons of spare bits and bats from broken rolling stock and do so by charging not that much for them. I like to see vintage rolling stock back on the rails. When I see Margate Hornby Bodyshells or power bogies for more than the actual complete item for example it’s ludicrous! Been in the position of trying to repair items and feel your frustrations. 

• Agree 3

41 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

If it shows a bid, then that's what it sold for

Not in all cases. If I have an item at say 50 pounds starting bid and offers enabled I can accept say 40 or 60 and it will just show as 50 - 1 bid - sold to whomever is not the bidder nor seller. 

11 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I watched eBay last night, a few items I was looking at sold at what I considered, but I was quite surprised at some kits either not selling or barely going much over the starting price. Seemingly folk were holding back

I don't mind folk like myself doing a bit of farming, providing they relist the parts they don't require at sensible prices. I have noticed a couple of sellers who by the look of it break hits up reselling all the component parts (Kit, wheels, motor and gears) separately at what I think is inflated/top prices. Of course what they do with their own property is their prerogative, on the other hand I see many items not being bought. However I cannot see how the business model works, when you try and sell something at a price buyers are unwilling to pay. I remember being taught back in the 70's by one of the largest UK retailers, that stock has to earn its keep and if a line is not selling well, cut your losses and sell it on at a discount

I may be breaking some of my own rules later though, on a sought after item. !!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ebay annoyance:

Loco 's listed with no mention of whether they are working.

You can assume they are, then end up with a non-runner,

assume they are not, not bid, then miss out if they are,,

or faff around messaging the seller for info

which should be in the listing anyway.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

One thing that annoys me is where someone try's to ward off other bidders with 3, 4 or more bids left on an item in quick succession. Quite often I will help out the seller and quietly nudge it along

I have two Westward GWR railcars (a single and a double car sets), both of these require a Lima railcar donor chassis. My initial thoughts were to stay away from the Lima mechanism and use either a Branchlines or High Level motor bogie, perhaps using the Lima chassis or copying it scratch building one. So I have been looking on and off for a cheap one

I bought some time ago a Lima 121 BR DMU and a Class 33 loco, both had the wheels changed to P4. Mainly as cheap ways to test hand built turnouts. They have remained on my shelf unused for over 4 years, I decided to sell them as I now have a couple of steam locos in P4, they run well and I looked into Ultrascale drop in wheels. So the thought process changed slightly

At the weekend I saw a boxed one with a low starting price where the bidding had stopped, but one bidder had left 3 or 4 bids in quick succession. At buy it now prices they seem to start at £40 + postage. Well I thought I would test the buyers resolve and started bidding at £2 increments, I had a top price in mind and ended up buying it below my top bid and well below what I thought it would sell for. I don't know what pleased me most, winning the item or calling the bidders bluff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't understand the logic of some bidders bidding a low amount (sometimes as little as 20p) on something that will always sell for hundreds of pounds.

There is just no logic to it.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I don't understand the logic of some bidders bidding a low amount (sometimes as little as 20p) on something that will always sell for hundreds of pounds.

Could it be for absent minded bidders (like myself) just to remind them to make a decent bid just before it ends ? I don't do it myself as I like to keep my powder dry

I think a few just bid silly money when items are listed in the hope some will slip through the net. Every now and then I find something others have missed, perhaps not for silly amounts but well below their value

23 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

You bid 20p, then set your maximum bid which is hidden from the seller, then let EBay do all the hard bidding work for you up to your maximum.  I've done it myself a few times, not from such a low starting point, but I've won a few items recently that way and Ebay does not overbid or do silly jumps in price, quite nuanced.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I am more talking about often the first bidder who when I or someone else comes along to place the second bid on an item reveals that bidder number one only put up 99p rather than a sensible or realistic amount and as first bidder it only shows 99p from the off.

Then there are those who bid deliberately high to see how high a competing bidder is going up to and then pull their bids minutes later citing some nonsense excuse, I find any of those and it is straight to the banned bidder list...

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, John M Upton said:

People don't use systems they way they were intended to be used - they use them in whatever manner they find convenient.

I put such penny bids on sometimes.  It causes the item to be listed in My Ebay (even though I'm immeditaely outbid).  So as the deadline approaches (unless it hasn't already been bid too high for my liking) I can then set up a snipe at the level I'm prepared to bid.  No point in going through the hassle of setting up the snipe at the outset if the ordinary bidding is likely to go to silly money.

I know I could put it on my watch list, but I'm likely to miss those as the watch list tends to contain a lot of odd Buy-it-now items that I'm effectively bookmarking (such as glues that I might want fto order rom time to time).

• Agree 1