Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

eBay e-mailed me that an offer had been received for an item which I had listed for sale on Buy-it-Now.   By the time I opened the item page I found the offer had already been retracted, just 4 minutes and 37 seconds after it had been submitted.  When I am buying, I am always happy if I do receive an instant or quick acceptance or counter offer, but come on, some buyers need to learn more patience, can't expect every seller to be monitoring eBay for offers 24/7.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not sure what to make of this. The items seems to be exactly the same from 2 "different" sellers,. The format of the sellers ID, location, and the timing seems to indicate they are the same item. He has bids on both, which will be awkward for one winner. Maybe there's another explanation?

Edit: Just noticed they may be different itemsas the upper picture shows some yellow in the upper RH corner. But everything else stands.

EBAY 2 LOTS.jpg

Edited by mezzoman253
Correction

21 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

Not sure what to make of this. The items seems to be exactly the same from 2 "different" sellers,. The format of the sellers ID, location, and the timing seems to indicate they are the same item. He has bids on both, which will be awkward for one winner. Maybe there's another explanation?

Edit: Just noticed they may be different itemsas the upper picture shows some yellow in the upper RH corner. But everything else stands.

EBAY 2 LOTS.jpg

Some people have more than one ebay id (I do for historic reasons, and can't be bothered to close the old one down)

This is clearly the same user using different ids - he's going on holiday on the same date on both.

It does look like the same item; the yellow in the corner is the inner box of one of the three wagons slightly slid out of the outer.

But's it's quite possible he has two of them, ebay sometimes stops you putting up two identical listings (presumably a precaution against mistakes), and using two ids could be a clumsy way round the problem, although the slight differences in his wording might well be enough to achieve that more easily. 

If it's only one item, he'll find the problem when the auctions end.  It's probably just a mistake, but he could be trying to game the system by picking the auction that generates more cash - then telling the other winner it was damaged or similar.  If he's doing that on cheap listing day, it wont cost him any more in ebay fees.

His P&P on one of them is more than double the other.  it's just possible he's experimenting to see what bearing this has on results; the sort of info that would be useful to a business that sells hundreds of thousands of items.

• Thanks 1

Incorrectly described items usually attract me as they are cheap and attract few bids but this one is blatant and I do hope anyone who mistakenly  buys one gets a refund when they find these GEM kits are 101:1 not 120:1.

Screenshot (256).png

I agree with you that either miss described or badly presented lots do offer some very welcome bargains. As for a misleading scale, with TT like 4mm and 2mm scale there are other apparently other conflicting scale/gauges to trip up the unsuspecting buyer or seller. Whilst I understand the difference between TT gauge and 3mm scale, N gauge or 2mm scales even one very large manufacturer selling items as 00/H0 and been getting away with it for years

But anyone buying TT120 should easily spot the error as on the box it clearly states TT 

More interesting is this statement in the description  "This loco would work with Hornby TT:120 once built"   The box of the Scott states it is designed to take a Triang TT chassis.

I guess it depends what chassis is fitted ?  Would a Triang TT chassis work on 12mm gauge using code 55 rail ?

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, hayfield said:

"This loco would work with Hornby TT:120 once built"

In a similar way to using an oo9 loco on an n gauge layout - it'll run, but it won't couple to anything any... Is the wrong fluffy size 

• Like 1

I bought and paid for a item on the 29th, no mention of the seller only posting on certain days or delayed posting, 6 days later I get the tracking info. It was physically posted on the 4th. If there was a not showing there may be postal delays it would then be more understandable.

If I made them wait for 6 days before paying, I bet they would be up in arms demanding payment. In eBay's terms and conditions, plus their message instructing to post the item ASAP as the item has been paid for. eBay requires their sellers to post the item quickly. I think 6 days (without bank holidays getting in the way) is a but strong. I think I have found a little gem (not the make) at a decent price.

However how can I leave positive feedback when it took so long to send the item. In fact if I do leave feedback hopefully positive for the item, what about the poor customer service regarding postal delays. Probably I will settle not leaving feedback and message the seller the reasons why

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

I bought and paid for a item on the 29th, no mention of the seller only posting on certain days or delayed posting, 6 days later I get the tracking info. It was physically posted on the 4th. If there was a not showing there may be postal delays it would then be more understandable.

If I made them wait for 6 days before paying, I bet they would be up in arms demanding payment. In eBay's terms and conditions, plus their message instructing to post the item ASAP as the item has been paid for. eBay requires their sellers to post the item quickly. I think 6 days (without bank holidays getting in the way) is a but strong. I think I have found a little gem (not the make) at a decent price.

However how can I leave positive feedback when it took so long to send the item. In fact if I do leave feedback hopefully positive for the item, what about the poor customer service regarding postal delays. Probably I will settle not leaving feedback and message the seller the reasons why

Or you can leave a positive feedback, but mention in your comment that the vendor was slow to send the item and that they should state that they only dispatch on certain days of the week.  Send a PM to the vendor couching your comments in stronger, (though not abusive!) terms to get their attention.

Its a balancing act, as they might retaliate with a poor customer feedback.

Edited by Hroth
Spelin... (Must proofread before posting!)

9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Or you can leave a positive feedback, but mention in your comment that the vendor was slow to send the item and that they should state that they only dispatch on certain days of the week.  Send a PM to the vendor couching your comments in stronger, (though not abusive!) terms to get their attention.

Its a balancing act, as they might retaliate with a poor customer feedback.

Thanks for the advice, the fact I hope is its a great find (if it lives up to the description) and I would be benefitting from a poor listing. That said not dealing with the item for 6 days shows no respect for both my custom and swift payment (within the hour ) Certainly 1 star for late posting and what do you give for no communication ? Rub in the real value of the item !!!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

Currently having a pretty unpleasant experience courtesy of this seller. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hatuk73

I can confirm the worst seller I have encountered. I won't go public on the details but the matter has been brought to the attention of ebay. 

Proof that buyers feed back is not always a true indicator although I did miss a very accurate couple of lines from one individual. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

Currently having a pretty unpleasant experience courtesy of this seller. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hatuk73

I can confirm the worst seller I have encountered. I won't go public on the details but the matter has been brought to the attention of ebay. 

Proof that buyers feed back is not always a true indicator although I did miss a very accurate couple of lines from one individual. 

I have used this seller a few times in the past year, without any trouble at all. In a different thread there was an issue when the range changed hands and the brand was re-launched. Along with supply issues and time constraints caused by personnel/family issues, things came to a head which led to the company deciding to close. For months now items are being released on to the market.

I have no idea if your issues are either about the service you have received or the quality of the item supplied, but below is my experience of both the items and range 

The items now being sold are in the main incomplete sets of etchings, certainly any buyer should be aware of this and of the history of these kits which were designed years ago at the start of etched kit design and supply. Always if something is cheap, there is a reason for it

For years this range has been known as extremely difficult kits to build. The 4 separate lots (items) I bought were delivered quickly and as described and will be used to rebuild whitemetal kits. But I was fully aware what I bought was an etch only, some of which were incomplete as one or more sheets were missing. Had I not known these were not either possibly incomplete and the difficulty I would encounter building them I would have been disappointed, but what I paid for them (which was very little) reflected all of this.

I think the range changed names at least twice, which must be a clue to the quality.

However in my dealings with the person at least 4 times in the past year there has never been any issues, but then I knew the history, quality and completeness of what I was buying. Had I expected something more complete then I perhaps would have been disappointed

Many do forget eBay is an auction site, but with protection unlike other type of auctions. If the item arrives damaged or not as described you have protection

Good luck

EDIT

I have just looked at the feedback left by others, one negative and another stating wrong item sent  out of about 250. all the other replies state my experience. That's not to say you have not a case, but the vast majority have had the same experience as I had 

Hopefully between eBay and the seller the issue will be resolved to your satisfication

Edited by hayfield

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

His average is 98.4%, which I generally regard as cr*p

Total feedback is 271, which is not that many. 

Though at the bottom of the listing his seller feedback is shown as 337 and he's sold 669 items. 

54 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I have just looked at the feedback left by others, one negative and another stating wrong item sent  out of about 250. all the other replies state my experience. That's not to say you have not a case, but the vast majority have had the same experience as I had 

Hopefully between eBay and the seller the issue will be resolved to your satisfication

The feedback I can see shows only one negative, 99 positive.  Arithmetically that is better than 98.4% of course.

I think that's because ebay stops reporting feedbacks over 12 months old.

I'm inclined to agree that the feedback system leaves a lot to be desired, and I don't trust it as it seems to be biased to create an unduly favourable impression of sellers.

Edited by Michael Hodgson

• RMweb Gold

Morning John, Michael. 

Thank you for your observations. My issues, in part dovetail with the only negative feed back lodged against this seller in the last six months, ironically regarding the same product, rubbish communication when an issue is brought to his attention. 

As an update, I have this morning contacted ebay who agree on the facts and that the conduct of the seller in the case of my particular transaction is poor to say the least. They have initiated a refund on my behalf. 

I'll update with progress. 

Rob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

His average is 98.4%, which I generally regard as cr*p

Total feedback is 271, which is not that many. 

Though at the bottom of the listing his seller feedback is shown as 337 and he's sold 669 items. 

The feedback I can see shows only one negative, 99 positive.  Arithmetically that is better than 98.4% of course.

I think that's because ebay stops reporting feedbacks over 12 months old.

I'm inclined to agree that the feedback system leaves a lot to be desired, and I don't trust it as it seems to be biased to create an unduly favourable impression of sellers.

Firstly I have no idea about what the complaint is all about so I am replying about my experience and the seller is a she, not a him

As you say in the last 12 months 99 positivise feedbacks and 1 negative, since selling there are 13 pages of 25 and one of 12 , so there are 325 piece of feedback with 1 being negative. The eBay pages on here are full of RMwebbers complaining about unwarranted negative feedback from awkward buyers. Not saying this buyer is awkward but its 1 negative piece against 324 satisfied responses. I believe the 12 month rule is sensible as a safeguard to responsible sellers and the negative responses are 0.3%. I think 99% is a good achievement seeing how fickle some buyers are

Secondly Jedinco/Falcon brass kits have a well earned reputation of being very hard to build, from the years they have been on the market (Michael Edge is currently build one and showing his attempts to build a decent model from one).  For years they have been known as for experienced hands only

Thirdly there is a long thread on here about the sellers attempt to try and bring this range back to the market and the personal issues of the proprietor, sometimes comunication takes a while

These part kits are an end of range and at best can be described as  an aid for scratch builders, as I said the loco kits may not be a complete set of etches

I have 4 of these, usually if they have a chassis it goes in the bin. I use parts like the footplate and cabs which look far better than whitemetal parts so mix and match with older less detailed whitemetal kits.

Not for the inexperienced, as I said they are cheap for a reason

• Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning John, Michael. 

Thank you for your observations. My issues, in part dovetail with the only negative feed back lodged against this seller in the last six months, ironically regarding the same product, rubbish communication when an issue is brought to his attention. 

As an update, I have this morning contacted ebay who agree on the facts and that the conduct of the seller in the case of my particular transaction is poor to say the least. They have initiated a refund on my behalf. 

I'll update with progress. 

Rob

Rob

Great to know eBay has come good with its guarantees, I have no idea of the issue and glad its resolved

It might be worth reading the Falcon Brass thread as it will give you a bit of the background and reason for delayed replies

Like MTK kits some modellers do like the challenge of building them.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Arrrggghhh!!!!

Despite clearing stating on all my auctions that successful buyers are required to pay within twenty four hours of auction ending, I get a grumpily worded "I will pay you when I get paid on Saturday" message this morning. 

Odds on I never hear from the buyer ever again, may as well relist it now...

EDIT - Checked the buyer's feedback, 100% positive of which over half are "negative" about non payment!!!!

Edited by John M Upton
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

...and after sending a payment reminder on Sunday (I gave him an extra days grace, mainly because I forgot!) he immediately responds asking to now pay on Tuesday.

Liquid waste matter extractor or what?

Anyway, I have set an absolute deadline now, 5pm on Tuesday or I start pressing buttons.... 👹

Edited by John M Upton
  • Friendly/supportive 6

As someone who unless going to bid for another item from the same seller in the next day or so, I try and pay within the hour certainly before midnight. If I am holding back I always contact the seller stating my intentions and offering to pay immediately.

What I find irritating is folk who pay in the early hours, today was the same half paid yesterday, one paid at 4am. The main reason is I prefer to do all the packing and posting at the same time, Its not really an issue as eBay will pay me tomorrow and (it all goes into the modelling fund) I will post it with the others paid yesterday. Just means an extra bit of accounting (I used to keep money in Paypal, now its in my second (savings ) account)  to keep track on  the railway pot, as I have been funding my spending on the hobby by selling off my unwanted items. (I am downsizing the to be built/duplication pile)

Still waiting for two other low cost items to be paid, hopefully both will be paid soon so all the posting can be done at lunchtime. I get annoyed when I end up  posting items in dribs and drabs.

Still on average 90% pay immediately, just get the odd straggler 

• Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, hayfield said:

As someone who unless going to bid for another item from the same seller in the next day or so, I try and pay within the hour certainly before midnight. If I am holding back I always contact the seller stating my intentions and offering to pay immediately.

What I find irritating is folk who pay in the early hours, today was the same half paid yesterday, one paid at 4am. The main reason is I prefer to do all the packing and posting at the same time, Its not really an issue as eBay will pay me tomorrow and (it all goes into the modelling fund) I will post it with the others paid yesterday. Just means an extra bit of accounting (I used to keep money in Paypal, now its in my second (savings ) account)  to keep track on  the railway pot, as I have been funding my spending on the hobby by selling off my unwanted items. (I am downsizing the to be built/duplication pile)

Still waiting for two other low cost items to be paid, hopefully both will be paid soon so all the posting can be done at lunchtime. I get annoyed when I end up  posting items in dribs and drabs.

Still on average 90% pay immediately, just get the odd straggler 

Tell me about it. I try to parcel everything up the day before and send it off first thing in the morning, but every now and then you get some guy who despite bidding at the last minute decides not to pay for another 12 hours. Sod's law is if you don't wait for him and post the rest, you'll come back from the post office to find he's just paid

• Friendly/supportive 2

I have steered clear of ebay for selling for a number of years, but I was recently asked to dispose of a number of OO models used as "toys" mainly Hornby era Thomas items. These all went with no silly issues and for good prices. However within the items for sale there were a number of modern image items. 

Within a few hours of the listings for the modern image items going live I received a number of very low offers of well under the starting price which I had set 10% lower than the lowest price on ebay for such items. I all cases I checked the potential purchasers and they were all active sellers. In one case the individual had sold the item they made an offer in last week for 3 times the offer (s)he was making me. I did point this out when I declined the offer.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One reason why I always turn the accept offers option off, too many clowns out there and I am too old now to tolerate or deal with idiots anymore.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, MyRule1 said:

I have steered clear of ebay for selling for a number of years, but I was recently asked to dispose of a number of OO models used as "toys" mainly Hornby era Thomas items. These all went with no silly issues and for good prices. However within the items for sale there were a number of modern image items. 

Within a few hours of the listings for the modern image items going live I received a number of very low offers of well under the starting price which I had set 10% lower than the lowest price on ebay for such items. I all cases I checked the potential purchasers and they were all active sellers. In one case the individual had sold the item they made an offer in last week for 3 times the offer (s)he was making me. I did point this out when I declined the offer.

I have in the past had the odd unsolicited offer which every time I reply politely, but as I never include "best offer" these are rare.  Like most others I bid at the end of the listing, if I notice a  make me an offer I simply start the bidding process earlier than normal. Like wise one of the reason I decline the few offers I get is to be fair to all the watchers

As for buying something similar/same as recently sold on rare occasions I may have done this, the simple reason is I am constantly looking to upgrade some of my models, eg Wills to Southeastern Finecast, or buying a kit for its wheels and motor. I think "the chancers" keep away from the kit building scene and its a bit more friendly  

• Informative/Useful 1

I only use best offer on items that are low value (15 pounds max) and have what I consider a set maximum value (i.e. You can buy a new one for 20 pounds).Occasionally someone wants it now and you get a nice surprise.