Cakebox Challenge Chat

Phil Parker

Percy, Annie, and Clarabel in a steamy ménage à trois,

Peter

(Is that anything to do with hump shunting?)

As you're doing all the other senses individually, this could be a way to combine all of them, so when are you starting? I doubt if the result would appear on the cover of BRM though :O.

Thomas themed horrors... all stock in Stagecoach livery, or Virgin livery?! And the fat controller appearing in a company uniform complete with name badge!

Andy

Seems that Easyjet have announced plans for rail franchises as part of their aggressive portfolio expansion plans (coffee shops are just the tip of the iceburg), livery schemes are being tested and one Sodor employee was not so impressed.

post-32049-0-78711200-1508705143.png

Edited by andyfoulger
  • Like 1

Percy, Annie, and Clarabel in a steamy ménage à trois,

Peter

(Is that anything to do with hump shunting?)

Oh lor'...

Thats even worse than when Percy tried to run the Sodor mail contract!

(I think the words "failed to perform" were used....)

At BRM, we love building railway models. In this hobby, getting your hands dirty is a huge part of the fun. With that in mind, we thought it's time to run a model making competition. But one with a difference.

We aren't asking anyone to build a layout. For most people that would be far too great an undertaking. We wanted something that was open to all. Something that wouldn't involve too much space, or time or cost.

So, we invite you to take part on the first ever BRM cake box challenge.

The rules are simple enough. Entrants must build a diorama that can fit in a standard 8-inch square cardboard cake box – the sort available from shops that sell cookery items. You don't display the model in the box (unless you want to) it's simply a guide to the maximum size, a bit like the cages you find at airports to show how large your suitcase can be.

Your diorama can be any scale, any era, any prototype, in fact anything you like. The only condition is that it must include at least two railway related items. These could be anything you like, from locomotives to a tail lamp.

Judging will be based on photos you supply which will be posted on RMweb. We'll ask you to provide a description with a brief idea how you made your model. The models will then be voted on by visitors to the forum this time next year. That way, an imaginative and appealing scene will stand as much chance of winning as the finest scale model with every rivet in place.

We'll be doing our best to help you out with ideas and inspiration. On this months DVD I'll show that it would be possible to work in every scale from N to G. There is now an area on RMweb to discuss progress and swap ideas. We'll also be happy to take photos of your models at any of the BRM shows if you don't feel up to snapping them yourselves.

The BRM team will be building their own scenes during the year and writing them up in the magazine. You can see our results at shows and tell us how you can do better!

RMweb box.jpg

More details, and the first Cake Box build are in the November 2017 issue of BRM.

Do we post our pictures to this thread

• RMweb Gold

We'll be doing our best to help you out with ideas and inspiration. On this months DVD I'll show that it would be possible to work in every scale from N to G. There is now an area on RMweb to discuss progress and swap ideas. We'll also be happy to take photos of your models at any of the BRM shows if you don't feel up to snapping them yourselves.

The BRM team will be building their own scenes during the year and writing them up in the magazine. You can see our results at shows and tell us how you can do better!

I suspect that some people might view this as a dangerous invitation - either to make comments (constructive or otherwise) about the team's efforts - or to suggest ideas for builds which would most likely be of use as examples of what not to do ... .

As for your offer to take photos of people's efforts at shows, I don't know if this might also provide material for a magazine article about how to take and "fine tune" photos of dioramas, layouts and other railway models. (Perhaps not - just a throwaway thought.)

Do we post our pictures to this thread

For the moment, please start a new thread. We'll set up the voting system later in the year.

That sounds sensible - after all, it wouldn't take too many build photos to completely derail this thread (assuming, of course, that some of us haven't already managed to achieve that with suggestions / comments about "alternative" Th*m*s themed builds and other dubious delights).

Anyway, if any of the BRM / Warners team were to really start getting concerned about this thread going off-topic, I wouldn't put it past them to transfer any "ideas discussion" posts to a separate thread. After all, this sort of thing has been known on a number of model railway themed forum sites over the years - so I doubt if too many people would complain if this were ever to happen.

Huw.

Perhaps this thread should be re-labelled "Cakebox Challenge - discussion thread" and a new pinned and locked thread posted with the rules and any amendments created so there's a quick reference for newcomers and the forgetful...

• RMweb Gold

Rule 1: It must fit in an 8" x 8" x 6" box

Rule 2: It must contain 2 railway related items

Rule 3: You must bribe Phil with cake

Agree Stubbers. Why people seem intent on complicating what is such a simple idea is beyond me...

Rob.

• Administrators

Agree Stubbers. Why people seem intent on complicating what is such a simple idea is beyond me...

Rob.

Much as I'm enjoying the discussions, as you say, this is deliberatly a very simple idea.

Build a small railway scene.

Good point about a separate section with the rules to save people having to wade through all this. I'll have a chat with Andy Y and see what we can do. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good point about a separate section with the rules to save people having to wade through all this. I'll have a chat with Andy Y and see what we can do.

Sounds fine to me - but I hope both these threads are kept unlocked - just in case anyone has any relevant questions. I must admit that I can't think of any right now - but I suspect there might be some.

As for discussion threads, I suspect there might actually be call for more than one of these - even if it's just one for ideas and suggestions on how to implement them, plus another for the sort of general "chatter" that this thread has already attracted. Just a thought … .

Huw.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget a thread dedicated to complaints and stories about how back in the day you had to make your own cakebox from homemade cardboard/paper.  :)

Well, it's either that or cereal boxes and "sticky backed plastic", in the finest Blue Peter tradition … .

There will, of course, be cake box collectors, who have examples of every type ever made, who will be critical of those who can't afford to buy the latest super quality ready to use boxes, and mourn for the days when cheap and basic boxes were available.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We were so poor that 't nearest we got t'j hole int grownd were watchin 't cownsil diggin oowp road atside er terrace 'ouse 't lay new sewage pipe.