Cakebox Challenge Chat

Phil Parker

As the only one talking about folding, this tirade must be aimed at me.

Noone has forced or will force you to read my topic, if you don't like it, ignore it.

To suggest I'm hijacking the competition in creating such an entry is simply inaccurate.

No not at all in fact I went out of my way to keep it a generalization not a personal attack and I would suggest that while not reading a topic is an option if one doesn't read it how can one form an opinion of it.

No not at all in fact I went out of my way to keep it a generalization not a personal attack and I would suggest that while not reading a topic is an option if one doesn't read it how can one form an opinion of it.

As I notice Phil Parker has clicked the "agree" on your first post of the day today, I'll take that as my cue to "exit stage left" and take my unconventional ideas with me.

• RMweb Gold

As I notice Phil Parker has clicked the "agree" on your first post of the day today, I'll take that as my cue to "exit stage left" and take my unconventional ideas with me.

Please don't. I'd like to see what you can make of the challenge.

I personally like the simple approach, but railway modellers are a creative bunch and it's part of the hobby's DNA that people are always trying to address the problem of restricted space in new and interesting ways. This is a great opportunity to do it, so please give it a go.

• RMweb Gold

The rules are there because....... they are rules. Its not enough to suggest a entry is 'in the spirit of the cake box challenge' or interpret them as you see fit. I mean they are very simple are they not...( though it appears not simple enough....)

Try thinking inside the box rather than looking for ways to think outside the box.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Try thinking inside the box rather than looking for ways to think outside the box.

… Where's the fun in that?

(Now where did I put that pile of pieces of cardboard? You know, the ones that open out to create a "small diorama" that fills a table.)

Huw.

• Administrators

That's up to you but I simply agreed with the post because the competition is essentially simple. Sorry to have disappointed those desperate for hundreds of rules to argue over but the lack of explicit guidance doesn't seem to have put many people off judging by the number of build threads running.

You aren't the only one, or even the first one on this thread (see here),  to suggest opening out the cake box but you are the first to want to storm off in a huff. Calm down and give your unconventional ideas a go. People may like them enough in the voting to allow for something operating in the grey areas. In this competition, only those who enter stand a chance of winning, along with the fame and glory that will go with it.

• Like 2

In this competition, only those who enter stand a chance of winning, along with the fame and glory that will go with it.

When he was about 8 or so years old my son had a martial arts instructor.  We went to an out of town tournament and my son finished 5th of the 5 that entered.  In fact, he didn't do well at all. He was quite bummed out.  His instructor said, yes, "you were fifth at the tournament, but you were brave enough to go and compete in front of all those people" (he was quite new at the sport).  "And", he said, "you did better than the hundreds who were too scared to try."  I'm not sure wiser words were ever spoken.  While I may not have remembered the correct wordage, the spirit of that pep talk has kept with me.

• Like 10

• Administrators

When he was about 8 or so years old my son had a martial arts instructor.  We went to an out of town tournament and my son finished 5th of the 5 that entered.  In fact, he didn't do well at all. He was quite bummed out.  His instructor said, yes, "you were fifth at the tournament, but you were brave enough to go and compete in front of all those people" (he was quite new at the sport).  "And", he said, "you did better than the hundreds who were too scared to try."  I'm not sure wiser words were ever spoken.  While I may not have remembered the correct wordage, the spirit of that pep talk has kept with me.

Excellent story, but does this cast me in the role of Mr Miyagi?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Interesting ideas on here!

My thoughts were 'Modular Cake Box Layout'....

Do a series of entries that meet the 'fit in a Cake Box' rule and join them together.

Could be worse - If it was 'fit on a dinner plate' - how many gravy train entries would there be!

Thanks

• Like 4

Excellent story, but does this cast me in the role of Mr Miyagi?

Well, kinda, yeah.  Guys like you encourage guys like me to learn new things, expand my comfort zone and to feel OK, that I'm still learning.  :)  

Hi all,

Do a series of entries that meet the 'fit in a Cake Box' rule and join them together.

Could be worse - If it was 'fit on a dinner plate' - how many gravy train entries would there be!

Thanks

Kinda like a cake-mo layout?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, kinda, yeah.  Guys like you encourage guys like me to learn new things, expand my comfort zone and to feel OK, that I'm still learning.  :)  

Kinda like a cake-mo layout?

Hi Dave,

That sounds aboout right!

Cake-Mo.....

I wonder how popular this would be!

Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks

A round layout already has a name, a Pizza Layout. Even if it is covered in gravy!

• RMweb Gold

None from me, that's for sure - to say that I've never liked gravy would be a gross understatement.

A "pizza" sounds like something different altogether (especially if it's deep pan "Hawaiian").

As for a "modular cake box layout", I'm sure that could also be an extremely interesting challenge. To be honest, the idea of layouts assembled from modules in boxes sounds interesting in itself - a sort of progression from "Free-mo" and "N-Trak" ... .

Turning now to the current challenge, I was surprised by one guy sounding "miffed" and talking of "exiting stage left" - pursued by a bear or otherwise. "A Winter's Tale"? More a case of "Much Ado About Nothing", if you ask me - not that I've ever been any sort of expert (about Shakespeare, or about modelmaking).

Well, I was surprised - and I hope he was joking - but I was not exactly worried. Ultimately, I only wish to see entries from people who actually wish to enter - it's almost certain to show in their work. Even if it doesn't show, we all found our way onto this site because we've seen railway modelling as a hobby - something we choose to do in our spare time and at our own expense.

As for "unconventional ideas", a lot of us here like unconventional ideas - it could even be argued that Phil was actively looking for them when he set this challenge. Let's face it - even in very small scales, it's a challenge to fit much of a scene into a box 200mm square - so the objective then becomes one of identifying and modelling enough key aspects of your chosen scene to suggest it to anyone looking at the finished result.

A number of people have already risen to the challenge - and built (or started) some very "flavoursome" creations - I'm sure there'll be plenty more.

Would I enter? Yes - if I can produce something that I'm happy with - but please don't ask me to commit to any "recipes" just yet. If I enter, I don't wish to "break cover" until I've got something to show. I also don't wish to "run with" any ideas until I'm confident that I can build them (and that I've actually got enough time to build them - after all, that's where things went wrong for me the other year, with a different challenge).

Would I be likely to get anywhere if I enter? Unlikely, judging by what I've seen so far - but I wouldn't let this put me off having a go. I reckon anyone entering this challenge is likely to end up honing their skills - getting a lot of constructive comments from other people with similar objectives - and getting a lot of enjoyment from the whole process.

Anyway, I think that's enough from me for the time being.

Good luck, everyone,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 5

Personally, I am loving this challenge, when I log in I always go to my content, catch up then go to view new content and go through all the pages lurking here and there.

Now when I log in I go straight to the CBC Forum and go through every thread update, brilliant, inspiring, and bloody genius ideas.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

Thanks everyone for taking part.

• Like 4

A genuine "Cake Box Cake" for one of those "Special" or "Significant" birthdays, indicative of what my family consider should be my main interest! ....Gardening!!

Despite it being 200mm square,  I can't enter it in the Challenge ... It has no railway item, and we ate it all (sorry, Phil)!!! 

post-136-0-80385800-1509207822.jpg

• Like 4

I've made a start with my challenge so I'll be starting my thread soon

To me there is two rules

It must fit in a 8x8x6 size cake box

Must contain 2 railway related items

The skies the limit and hopefully my idea will work or simply change it

Doesn't say on size or scale

Only bad thing is I didn't get no cake :cry:

hhhhhuuuuuummmmmm cake I wonder if it's too late for a snack

• Like 1

Crumbs!!!

All these eager beavers and my thread is half-way down the second division, a result that I'm not going to be able to rectify any time soon, as I had guests last weekend, guests next weekend and the space intervening is occupied by cleaning up after the last lot and readying things for the next.

Oh well, Nil Desperandum, as they might say in Durovernum Cantiacorum!

Guest Midland Mole

All these mind-blowingly amazing and creative entries so far, wonderful to see so much of the communities imagination and skill in one place. :)

I'm still looking forward to making mine, but there is no way I am posting them. I'm far too embarrassed by my total lack of ability to model, especially compared to the ones on here. :D

Alex

All these mind-blowingly amazing and creative entries so far, wonderful to see so much of the communities imagination and skill in one place. :)

I'm still looking forward to making mine, but there is no way I am posting them. I'm far too embarrassed by my total lack of ability to model, especially compared to the ones on here. :D

Alex

Go on!

Have a look at mine, its a pretty low bar!

• RMweb Gold

Alex

You will only get encouragement, help and advice.

You have nothing to be afraid of ( unless you make a model of a toilet - in which case you are on your own...)