Cakebox Challenge Chat

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold

OMG what have I created?  :O  I'm soooooo sorry.

Surry? Yer dunt no meening oof werd. Wen eye dun summat wrong I were made ter eat coold jellied tripe an' gravel frum metal bucet fer monf. Thars bean surry.

Yer namby pamby survners no nowt bowt tit.

Thar nose

The pinned post fails to mention the 6” height rule and various aspects discussed to date, eg a tall chimney can be removed for storage so long as it also fits within the cakeless cake box, I recall reading some other rule clarifications within the ‘chat’ thread.. for clarity - should they be written in the ‘rules’ thread (the video mentions the 6” rule but I didn’t see in the text)

Andy

• Administrators

The pinned post fails to mention the 6” height rule and various aspects discussed to date, eg a tall chimney can be removed for storage so long as it also fits within the cakeless cake box, I recall reading some other rule clarifications within the ‘chat’ thread.. for clarity - should they be written in the ‘rules’ thread (the video mentions the 6” rule but I didn’t see in the text)

Andy

I'm deliberately trying to avoid a list of rules a mile long. This isn't a very formal competition and as you can see, there are plenty of grey areas. Splitable chimneys come into this. One would be OK but if the whole model needs to be dismantled then this would be frowned on.

Unless anyone goes mad, we aren't going to disqualify a model, and since all the voting will be done by visitors to the thread based on photos, it will largely be up to them if they feel a model doesn't fit within the boundaries of the competition. Come up with a really good idea and  I suspect you'll be allowed a little more latitude. 

• Administrators

This isn't Formula One and only lawyers and keyboard warriors want to spend a year arguing the minutiae of a set of rules.

I'm sure there will be plenty of boundary-pushing but if anyone deviates a long way from the spirit of the competition (build a model that fits in a box) then I'd expect them to struggle in the voting.

My hope is that the winner exhibits a combination of imagination and modelling skill. Looking at the build threads, that's already happening and for that, I'm really grateful to those taking part. 

• Like 4

A combination of imagination and modelling skills? Geez, I can see already I am going to loose out on the modelling skills, so I'll need to be far more imaginative - pass me that LSD please, I need the same sort of inspiration as whoever came up with the flowerpot men!

Seriously though, I think it sounds like a very sensible simple ruling.if it breaks the rules, but the vote says it is so damn good it is deserving of credit, so be it.

Tref (in it for fun)

• Like 1

Oh heck - discrimination ? that wasn't the intention, I was expressing now own 'anxiety' ( I do like clear boundaries / 'black and white' rules etc)

Andy

I'm sure there will be plenty of boundary-pushing but if anyone deviates a long way from the spirit of the competition (build a model that fits in a box) then I'd expect them to struggle in the voting.

My hope is that the winner exhibits a combination of imagination and modelling skill. Looking at the build threads, that's already happening and for that, I'm really grateful to those taking part. 

The boundaries of a cake box, size specifed, are fairly monochromatic, unless you're pushing the edge of the envelope!  :jester:  I'm looking forward to all the creative solutions that will pop out!

• RMweb Premium

There's no such thing as excess cream. I'm sure a good coat of shellac would sort out the stained cardboard, once you've lick off all the cream.

alas in my house if Mrs B does not get there first the cat from hell will after either have rescued the excess the box is unusable

NIck

• RMweb Gold

Does it really matter what anyone else is doing ?  If you want to have a go, have a go.  The only real winner will be you.

Going back to the 2011 Challenge, I stretched my skills in so many ways, and had tremendous help and encouragement from the forum. I see this as a repeat exercise, albeit with smaller dimensions.

• Like 1

I cant believe hundreds of posts into this thread and everyone is still trying to interpret the rules to see how far they can push them. How hard is it to understand ffs you make a model/display that can fit into a cake box. Not fold in. deflate in. pull a rip cord and collapse in, take apart and store in. or what ever

Why is everyone finding this so hard. Rather that encourage me all this "If I open the box this way it will all fold out" etc like the pages of a pop up book has actually put me off bothering to have a go.

A simple competition to show case every ones modeling skills is at risk of getting hijacked by those intent on twisting the rules to the extreme. what happened to the good old days where everyone just joined in with the "Spirit of the thing" with out questioning or arguing the whole concept.

Steve

As the only one talking about folding, this tirade must be aimed at me.

Noone has forced or will force you to read my topic, if you don't like it, ignore it.

To suggest I'm hijacking the competition in creating such an entry is simply inaccurate.